Saturday, October 12, 2024

Rainbow Kitties, Scraps, and Fall Fun

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for stopping by.

Isn't it fun putting our Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks together at last?  All year long I have loved making these cat blocks, and now they get to be a rainbow.

The border is this cat print.  More rainbow kitties!  The quilting is my usual squiggle in a 3 in. grid.


I set the cats in an odd staggered set.  It's fun to do something a little different.

Here's the back, a rainbow of hearts in flannel.  It should be warm and cozy this winter for a little child.  Hope it goes to someone who loves cats!

It seems odd not to be making more RSC blocks, but we'll start again in January, and in the meantime I can catch up on some other projects.  This quilt top was a quilt group challenge issued back in June (I think).  The Amazing Margaret designed this quilt, gave us a very professional-looking written pattern with multiple sizes, and asked us to use up some of the guild's large supply of brown fabric.  We could add our own fabrics also.  
Finished tops were due at the August guild meeting, where the members would choose the top 3 for "fabulous prizes".  I didn't attend that meeting due to a mild illness, and almost forgot about these pieces I had cut and set aside.  It didn't take long to finish once I pulled it out.  


The pattern is great, just squares in 3 sizes, pieced in 8 small sections.  It was a good chance to use up some leaf prints etc. I had on hand, and I love fall colors.  The top will be quilted by our wonderful long arm quilters and donated to a local charity.


Speaking of the quilt guild, look what happened to me yesterday!  A large stock of scrap fabric was donated to the guild, and the charity committee asked if I'd take on the kid/novelty prints.  Of course I said yes!  There is some very cute stuff in this pile.


Here's what it looked like after being washed.  The pile on the left are pieces cut off the bigger scraps, because ...

...many of the pieces had been used to fussy cut squares and/or rectangles.  I cut off the dangling pieces so they would go through the wash better, and now I have a lovely scrap pile to trim up.  These will be fun pieces for new quilts to donate.

We had lots of fall fun yesterday with our youngest grandsons.  There was no school, so we got to have them all day.

They posed with Grandpa at the apple orchard.  Little guy is extra excited.

They loved the corn maze.  Buddy was confident we'd find the way out, but Little Guy wasn't so sure.

We bought four different kinds of apples, and had a taste test after we got home.  Buddy liked Macintosh best, Hubby loves Fuji and Honey Crisp, and Little Guy liked all except the Fuji.  I love them ALL.

After lunch, we made and decorated Halloween cookies.  Some of the decorations may have been eaten along the way.

This is Little Guy's artwork.  Did you guess the cookie is an apple shape, underneath all the icing and sprinkles?

This ghost is Buddy's masterpiece.  She is apparently Hawaiian, as he said she was wearing a "flower necklace" (lei?).  He also made a Pumpkin Ninja, but I was too late to get a photo.  We sent them home with lots of cookies for their parents.

I hope you have lots of fun this week, quilty and otherwise, no matter what season it is where you live!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Check our these wonderful quilt blogs, run by generous and kind quilters, who let us all link up with them!


Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap










 

6 comments:

  1. What a fun day you had with the grands - one I’m sure they’ll always remember. Heck, it sounds like a blast even to this grandma! I love Buddy’s Hawaiian ghost! I need to follow your lead with autumn scraps (chunks, small yardages) and just combine them into something cozy and wonderful. Have a great week, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Good luck with your fall quilt, I'm sure it will be terrific!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous kitty quilt. And the brown one too. That’s a cool pattern. What a grand day you had with your little guys. Buddy’s ghost is soooo cute! Little Guy’s apple? would appeal to our Miss B. The more icing and sprinkles, the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I think the kids would eat cardboard if there was enough icing on it. And sprinkles, and candy eye balls. I have had them lick all the toppings off and ask for a refill! (I say no, of course.)

      Delete
  3. Your rainbow kitty quilt is just adorable! I love the border print and those hearts for the backing, too. Your challenge quilt looks like it was fun to figure out! And a fun day with your buddies to top it all off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Isn't it fun putting together our RSC quilts? I love this time of year.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!