Monday, December 23, 2013

Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt Part 4

Part 4 is four patches!  This has been one of my favorite clues, mainly because I have a real thing for this simple block unit.  I arranged all 120 of them with my Davis Vertical Feed (nicknamed Angela--anybody else remember the '70s?).  Angela and I do the machine quilting, after I've done the piecing on other machines.  That is, when she's not acting up.  I think she just needs a vacation, I've been working her hard for years.

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but I ran out of orange!  I only had one piece left, and this clue finished it.  I used 5 different greens for the blocks, but all the same orange.  Not very scrappy.  If we have more orange in the next clue, I'll have to break down and buy some.

Now my basket is completely full: half square triangles, pinwheels, chevrons, triangles in a square.  Good thing I'm only making the smaller size.

While I wait for the next clue (and get ready for our family gatherings), Lorena and I started a string quilt.  Lorena is my nickname for the machine pictured below, a Singer model 12 made in 1876.


I'm using muslin foundations cut in squares. I could use paper foundations, but I don't like tearing the paper off, plus this is poor quality muslin that I need to get rid of.  It's been well washed so it won't shrink, and cut bigger than I need.  I'll trim it down as I finish each block.

The strips are having an avalanche out of the hat box they're supposed to be kept in.  It's fun to use up these pieces.  I'm even using some of the strings cut from making this mystery quilt--see the yellow and the orange in the block on the left?
Happy Holidays to All!
To  return to the link up, click here:  Part 4 Link Up
To go to the Celtic Solstice Mystery site, click here:  Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt




5 comments:

  1. i ran out of green had to go out and buy some more :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia, do you have an e-mail address? Would you like to get in touch with old Loose Threads Quilters in Spring City, Pa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely machines there! It is great to see them still being used.

    My guess is that we have finished with orange, and the next clue will involve blue and neutral. But it will be fun to see what Bonnie has in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia,

    I have two different oranges - plus a few more "mega brights" from my son's wedding quilt- want to "borrow"?

    Nancy Pietrowiak

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!