Friday, April 7, 2017

Big Half, Little Half

Sharing is hard when you're a kid.  Especially when you have to share something extra special, like the last candy bar.  My younger sister and brother started a family saying by always shouting "I want the BIG half!!"
Of course there is no such thing as the BIG half.  Half means equal.  Most of us always want to be MORE equal, like those animals in Animal Farm.
How on earth does this relate to quilts?  In the photo above, I'm getting ready to quilt the BIG half of my quilt.
This is the LITTLE half, all quilted.  I'm quilting this one in two pieces.
The star blocks were made from leftovers from Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt.  I changed the size of the quilt, and didn't end up making the pieced border.
(I first wrote about this in Nov. 2015, that post is HERE.)
I'm outline quilting the star blocks.  I may add more diagonal lines in the border.

I'm doing a loop design in the alternate blocks.
How am I doing this without using free-motion quilting?  I'm TURNING THE QUILT.  Yes, really.
The process is a little tedious, but it gets the job done.  And I like outline quilting on a reproduction quilt like this.
Here's the BIG half:
The little half has three rows of five blocks, and the big half has four rows.
When I finish quilting this half, I'll join the sections, quilt over the seam, and all the quilting will be done.
This square in the border is one of my favorites.

In other news, it is starting to feel like spring here.  I'm not counting winter out yet, but the robins and cardinals are back and my tulips are coming up.
I'm still sewing the Flower Girl blocks.
Only 10 more to go!
Are you working on spring projects, or finishing the UFOs, or both?
I hope you're enjoying the weather, wherever you live.
Cheers,
Sylvia
P.S.  I'm linking up with Myra at Busy Hands Quilts and Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts.  Check out all the great stuff!









2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with the quilting on a domestic regular sewing machine. I have trouble with the weight of the quilt even while sewing on the binding after the long arm quilter has done her magic. You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I won't say it's easy, but it's easier if the quilt is in two sections.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!