Friday, September 22, 2017

Scrappy Chevrons

Hello!  Welcome to my blog!  Fall is in the air here in Wisconsin, so I'm taking some pictures outside before the snow starts to fly.
Today's finish is a scrappy chevron quilt.  I just can't resist chevrons.  It must be something about the cheerful ups and downs.  This quilt will be donated to a local family in need.
I got started on this completely by accident.  It's really the fault of Angela at soscrappy for hosting the fabulous Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
One set of my blocks for the challenge this year are little houses.  I'm cutting the roof pieces for the houses from 3.5 in. strips, like this:
I use my Companion Angle ruler, as you can see.
Just one problem...
There's a triangle left over on the left, and the strip now has an angle.  Not to worry, I can fix that!
Using my Easy Angle ruler, I cut a triangle from the strip, and made sure the first triangle is perfect.  Now I've got a roof for my house block, a straight strip to go back in the 3.5 in. box, and 2 extra triangles.
What can I do with the extra triangles?
How about this?  I can sew a dark print to a light print to make a square.  Then I can add two more dark triangles to make a larger triangle.  Adding a plain white triangle makes this a 6.5 in. (6 in. finished) block.  So each block uses 3 scrappy dark triangles and 1 light one.  Since the roof pieces for my houses are all dark, this worked out.  I just had to cut mostly light pieces.
I was thinking about setting them like this, but then the Chevron juju took over.
Here are all the blocks, 99 of them, to go 9 across and 11 down.
And here's the finished quilt, laid out on the floor.
If you'd like to make one of these, here's the recipe.
For each block, cut 1 light and 3 dark triangles from a 3.5 in. strip with the Easy Angle ruler (or any other ruler that works).
Sew a light triangle to a dark triangle to make a square.
Add a dark triangle to the top of the square. It should be touching the light triangle, and the right angle should be on the right.
Add a dark triangle to the left side of the square.  It should also be touching the light triangle, and the right angle should be on the right.
Cut white triangles from a 6.5 in. strip with the Easy Angle or other ruler.
Add the pieced triangles to the white triangles to make a 6.5 in. square.
(It works best to press after each of these steps.)
Make 99 blocks.
There are two kinds of rows that make up the quilt, row A and row B.  For row A, arrange the blocks so that the white triangles form a larger triangle, like the bottom row on the quilt above.
For row B, arrange the pieced triangles to form larger triangles across the row.
Alternate the rows in the quilt.  You can start with either one.  I started with an A row, so I made 6 A rows and 5 B rows.  If you start with a B row, make 6 B rows and 5 A rows.
I added 3.5 in. wide borders (because that was all I had of that wonderful fabric!).
The finished quilt should be roughly twin-sized, about 60 in. wide x 72 in. long.
I quilted it simply, up and down across the quilt, with the presser foot against the seams.  I added a row of quilting in the plain white areas using the quilting guide attachment to keep it straight.  Well, mostly straight.  The binding is red bandana print, just for fun.

BTW, here's the house block I was making:

 Why on earth didn't I buy more of that gorgeous orange?
 Have a lovely pieceful week!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up today with
Busy Hands Quilts
Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop










8 comments:

  1. great job....love the design. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very cute. And instructions too - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and cheery, great bonus from those triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, this looks vaguely familiar. I made one in reds and white for a niece a few years ago. They go together quickly and make for a striking quilt. I like your version even better. Those colors are rich and happy.
    As for the orange house that candy corn looks very yummy. I saw some in the store a few days ago and was way too tempted this early. I can't wait for Halloween...I get all the "old timey" sugary candy that no one seems to like. Since I know I'll eat so much after trick or treat, I have to resist it as much as possible before. It's just one of my quirky ideas for not packing on too many pounds. It only works in theory but it allows me to pretend that I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! Red and white sounds like a terrific color scheme for a chevron quilt. Hmm, wonder how much red I have? My Halloween candy weakness is always chocolate. I may not even wait for Halloween!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!