Saturday, January 13, 2018

I Need A Marker That Won't Drive Me Crazy

Here's the good news--I finished quilting and binding the Disappearing Nine Patch quilt that I'm calling Cobblestones.
It's to go in a fundraising basket for my grandkids' school, and was due in February, so I wanted to get it done in plenty of time.
This is the quilt laid out on the floor.  I quilted a 6 in. grid in the ditch, and then added diagonal lines through the squares.
The back is a swirly tan/beige leaf print.
Quilting in the ditch was E-A-S-Y.  Then I had to mark the diagonal lines.  Ack!
Does anybody out there still mark quilting lines?  If so, what do you use?
These are the choices I have in my sewing room--white pencils, white chalk, silver pencil, hera marker, soap, and regular pencil.  Each one drives me crazy in its own way.
My requirements are pretty simple. 
1.  I must be able to see the marking while quilting. (Duh.)
2.  The marks must come off completely after quilting, but not BEFORE quilting. (again, duh)
3.  I don't want to mess around with chemicals that won't come off if they get hot or cold or whatever.

I have been wrestling with this problem for 40 years.  I love quilting in the ditch or with the edge of the presser foot, since no marking is required, but sadly that doesn't work for everything.

If anybody can give me a hint or a suggestion, I would be absolutely thrilled.
In the meantime, I've got an earworm of John Cougar Mellencamp to deal with.  Sorry if I gave you one too.
Have a wonderful wintry week!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and  Busy Hands Quilts.








20 comments:

  1. Congrats! on completing that cozy looking quilt that anyone would be lucky to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! The theme of the basket is "cozy home" and I know my daughter is putting in more great stuff.

      Delete
  2. I use Crayola Washable markers. I like the thinner point ones. Have never used a off brand, but the Crayola brand comes out completely and I have a plethora of colors that I can see to use.

    Jay in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! I like this idea--easy to find, not expensive, lots of colors.

      Delete
  3. Girl, there are many worse earworms than John Cougar Mellencamp. (Really, Cougar?) I refuse to name any for fear that I'll catch an earworm.
    I like that quilt. It is cozy, as Joy said. The school should fill a fat little piggy. If they have any sense, they'll raffle it while the snow is on the ground. Everybody wants a quilt in the winter!
    I use Frixion pens. They come in tons of colors and remove with heat. I've never had a problem, except with paying the high prices. Ask my grandchildren if they can use THOSE pens! It's sort of like using the good scissors--they get banned from the studio--but with a higher pitch scream.
    Try to keep warm,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Gotta love Mellencamp, I'm from Indiana. I'll check out the Frixion pens next time I'm at the LQS. It seems like I mostly need a light-colored marker. Maybe I can start with one and see how it goes.
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete
    2. Just a note to Mary's comment on markers. I've never used them, but I've read many reviews and comments that keep me from trying them. This is a brand of marker that can reappear with the changing temps.

      Delete
    3. I've heard that too, about the Frixion pens, but I have used them in smaller hand embroidery projects without incident.
      I am very interested to hear other people's comments about quilt marking because I have the same requirements as you, but haven't found anything that I simply adore. Was happy to read about the Crayola Washable Markers--gonna try 'em. As a side note: I unwittingly tried Pounce Blue Chalk on a lemon yellow table runner and could NOT for the life of me, get rid of those stupid lines and believe me, I tried many things (after researching it online.) I feel like I'm always on the prowl for that "perfect" marking element

      Delete
    4. Hi, Paula and Sandy! It's good to know I'm not alone in my search for a "perfect" marker. Heck, I would settle for "good". I'm going to be brave and try things, but not on heirloom quilts until/unless I feel confident.
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete
  4. Sylvia, for straight lines like that I always use masking tape - just sew along the edge of the tape. No marks to get rid of or that leave before you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use an quilter's pencil. I mark the lines esp. when I quilt cross-hatch to ensure I don't stray. I know you can use attachments but with my machine it doesn't work for some reason.
    I have found it is worth the effort to prep the quilt by marking the lines.
    Pop by for a visit some time
    https://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know what happened to my comment! For straight lines like you did in this quilt, I use masking tape and sew along the edge of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannine! I do use masking tape from time to time on smaller quilts. Maybe I should try it on larger quilts, too.
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete
  7. Painter's tape is great for marking. I buy it on sale, and can use each strip for several lines. Love the colors in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia! Is this the blue kind? I will definitely try it!

      Delete
  8. I do not use any markers on my quilts but my quilting is very basic: straight lines, squiggly waves, or meandering wiggles/loops.....I do use masking tape (painters tape is not sticky enough for me) but I do not leave it on a quilt over a day. Do not use Frixion pens as they are not made for fabric per the mfg and can come back in time. I also am a big fan of freezer paper for shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I have a book by Mary Mashuta (Foolproof Machine Quilting) that details the ways she uses freezer paper etc. for marking her quilts. Maybe it's time to re-read it.

      Delete
    2. I like to use Frixion ball pens by Pilot. they make a nice fine line and disappear completely when you press them.

      Delete
  9. Pilot FriXion Ball Erasable Gel Pens, Fine Point, 8-Pack Pouch, Black/Blue/Red/Pink/Purple/Orange/Lime/Brown Inks -31569 found this product at amazon.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!