Saturday, January 27, 2018

My Heart Belongs to Project Linus

This wasn't the best week for getting quilting done around here.  My 20 month old grandson has not been reliably taking his nap, which is my sewing time.  I think we've got it straightened out now, and he slept like an angel on Friday, but we'll see what happens next week.
I did manage to get the pink and purple Pixel Hearts quilt finished.
Here's the back.  I haven't done a lot of pieced backs, so this was fun. 
The quilting was done using the edge of the presser foot for the most part, and masking tape for the lines through the alternate squares.
Here's one of my favorite blocks.  I just love these goofy farm animals.
Speaking of goofy, how about this Yo Gabba Gabba fabric? Yo Gabba Gabba was literally the weirdest kid show ever, back in the day.
You gotta have cows!  Especially Holsteins.  This is the dairy state, dern it.
When I made the blocks for the pink quilt, I also made blocks for a blue quilt.  Some of them are the same, for instance Yo Gabba Gabba and the cows.  I finished the blue top this morning.  Did you catch my shadow as I'm taking the photo?  I've got such mad photography skills.
The border is a bug print I have used over and over.  It's almost used up now, and I'm sad to see it go.  The robot print block is made from scraps I had left after making my oldest grandson a pillow case.  The robots were the border.

It's a lovely day for January here in Wisconsin.  After I took these pictures the dog and I went for a walk in the sunshine.
I'm wishing sunshine for you too this week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with Busy Hands Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts (as usual)
and with Oh Scrap for the first time.  Join the party!



12 comments:

  1. Cute! And so cheerful -- I'm sure they will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I hope they'll be some cheerful comfort for a child.

      Delete
  2. I also use presser foot edge a lot... It is a very easy and fairly reliable gauge! Pretty quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mammafairy (great name)! I especially like the presser feet that are the same width on both sides. My Pfaff has one, but some of my vintage machines don't.

      Delete
  3. Great heart quilts, Sylvia! PL is such a wonderful charity. I'm sure your quilts will be well loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hum, that quilt pattern must do a great job of using up leftover novelty prints. What size are the heart blocks? I guess it really doesn't matter just make it the size you have available! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie! The heart blocks are 6 in. finished. For each block, I cut 1 3.5 in. square of background (white), 1 3.5 in. square of print, and 1 rectangle of matching novelty print 3.5 in. x 6.5 in. You're right, you really could make any size you liked.
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete
  5. I love the pieced backing. I find making pieced backings tedious, but I love the results. When I taught nursery school years ago, the children all loved Yo Gabba Gabba and would tell me about each episode in mind numbing detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, KatieQ! I tried watching Yo Gabba Gabba a couple of times with my grandson, but I just couldn't follow it. Except there seemed to always be some cute kid dancing.

      Delete
  6. Those quilts turned out GREAT!! Sort of an I Love I-Spy quilt. AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I cannot help myself, I just love novelty fabrics. So much fun.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!