Saturday, January 20, 2018

Small Things

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, an annual day of community service and giving back.  Because I'm a full-time babysitter for the sweetest toddler in the world, I couldn't really do justice to the day on Monday, so I dedicated the whole week to donation quilts.  I finished this one above, a flannel tumbler baby quilt, shown on my grandson's portable crib.
The back is a darling animal print.  You can see the quilting here, which I did using the edge of the presser foot.  No marking needed!
We're having a lovely sunny day here, with temps in the 40s(!).  The snow is going to melt, and the furnace won't have to work as hard for a few days.  The sunshine does interfere with good photos, but oh well.
For my piecing this week, I worked on using up strips from my 3.5 in. bin, and finished two tops.
I'm calling this one Pixel Hearts.  The prints are mostly novelties, and the block only has 3 pieces--a 3.5 in. square of white, a 3.5 in. square of novelty print, and a rectangle 3.5 x 6.5 of matching novelty print.  Easy peasy.  The blocks are set on point to look sort of like hearts.
The alternate blocks are cut from Project Linus fabric.  You probably can't see it, but there is a drawing of Linus with his security blanket and the words "Project Linus" scattered about on the print.
I used what I had left of the Project Linus fabric for the pieced back.  It will be trimmed down after quilting.
Through the middle of the back I've sewn 4 patches made from 5 in. squares, to make the back big enough.  I think my favorite fabric here is the frog print.
I'm hoping to layer, baste, and start quilting it later today.
The second top is a pattern I've made twice before, called Joy in the Morning, by Gail Bong.  I first wrote about it HERE.  It's another easy block, made from six 3.5 in. squares and one solid colored 9.5 in. rectangle.  I like how it chains across the quilt.
I still have to make the backing for this one.
Even with all this piecing, the 3.5 in. bin is still full.  How is that possible?

I hope that I have succeeded this week in honoring Dr. King's memory. 
I take comfort from this quote:
“If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way”.
I'm not sure about the "great way" part, but I have made these small things with love and joy for the children who will receive them.

Wishing love and joy for you this week,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with Busy Hands Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts.








12 comments:

  1. Thank you! I spent all of yesterday cutting up scraps and trying to plan some kids charity quilts, this 6patch/rail fence will be perfect way to put them together. I love the cot quilts, very soft and pretty, but my favorite is the bright blue quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Good luck with your charity quilts. I love the blue one best, too.

      Delete
  2. Sylvia, these are sweet little quilts, full of love! I especially like the Joy in the Morning pattern one. I'd like to make one like that for Project Linus, too. Good for I-spy fabrics.

    I'm always delighted to read about charity quilt projects. Thank you for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! There are so many quilters making quilts to help others. I'm glad there are projects we can all be part of.

      Delete
  3. Lovely quilts and a very good quoit to live by. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I find Dr. King's wisdom and courage inspiring and uplifting.

      Delete
  4. I love this way of honoring Dr. King's legacy. I have been working on some charity related projects, too, although no finished quilts yet! Of the quilts you shared, I especially like the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A completed quilt AND two quilt tops?! What a busy quilter!! Thanks for setting such a good example for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful, but I'm sure it's not going to be this way every week. We quilt when we can.
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to mark the day...and some rally wonderful quilts! Did you know that you are a no reply blogger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jann! Yes, I know about the no reply, sorry. I had a spam problem a while back. Eventually I'll get around to fixing it. Right now it's either work on computer stuff or quilt stuff, and you know which I'd rather do (grin).

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!