Friday, March 23, 2018

Found On the Free Table

Does your quilt group have a free table?  You know, where group members put things they don't want anymore and other members can take them home for free?  Above are a few of my recent free table finds.
Relax and Quilt is an Oxmoor House book from 1998.  It came home with me after the January meeting.
Look what's on the inside cover!  It's a Friendship Ribbons quilt, made by Kitty Sorgen of Newbury Park, California.
We had just been talking at the meeting about making quilts for a local veteran's home.  This seemed like such a good pattern, with a little tweaking of the colors.
So this is what I made.  These are 15 of the Friendship Ribbon blocks on my design wall, which is really just a hunk of white flannel tacked to the wall.
There's a lot going on here.  The light triangles make the "ribbons", the dark triangles and squares make the stars, and the red or blue triangles in the corners made a secondary design.
I've seen something similar before, and thought the pattern was incredibly complicated.  And to be honest, some of the similar patterns I've seen on the internet made my head spin.
Not this one!  Check it out.
This is the block pattern. I am making A blocks (with red points and blue corners) and B blocks (with blue points and red corners) and alternating them in the quilt.  The construction is the same for both A and B blocks, only the colors are different.

This is a 9 in. finished block.
For each block,
cut 1 3.5 in. square for the center, in either red or blue.
make 4 half square triangles in blue/light and 4 in red/light.  These should finish at 3 in.
Arrange as above for block A.
This star is tricky!  I have to look at a finished block every time to make sure I'm placing the star points correctly.

There is also a pieced border that carries the design out to the edge of the quilt.  I'll post about it when I get there.

I'm so glad somebody donated this book.  There are actually TWO MORE quilts in it that I want to make!

Coming Attractions:
Here's a glimpse of what I'm quilting now.  My back has been hurting this week, so I haven't been doing any quilting, but I hope to get to it on the weekend.
This one is a surprise.  It's the same backing as my Split Nine Patch, but underneath is a baby quilt.  I hope to post it next week, with the pattern.
Take care this week!  I'm off to the theater to see my oldest grandson in a play.
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts.








8 comments:

  1. That book was such a lucky find! I love the Friendship Ribbon quilt - good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Older books are like older people--still worth having around!

      Delete
  2. I like that pattern! I understand what you mean about having to look at a finished block. It's like my brain wants to do its own creative thinking or just can't remember the pattern.
    We don't have a free table. Instead we have a garage sale. Everyone brings their unwanted items and prices them really low, so it's pretty close to your free table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! A garage sale sounds like fun. We have a silent auction once a year, and the money goes to the group.

      Delete
  3. The Friendship Ribbon is a PERFECT choice for a QOV!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! When I get it finished, it will go to the veteran's home. Each veteran gets a quilt when they are admitted. The family gets to keep it after the veteran passes away.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely and classic block! It has so much interesting movement in the ribbon layout. I completely understand how it caught your eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I think this pattern might be nice in other colors too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!