Sunday, March 18, 2018

Green Grow the Quilt Blocks

Hello and welcome!  This is my week for making Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks, in this month's color of green. 
The blocks I've been working on since January are Mary's Baskets and Wagon Trail, in 1800s reproduction fabrics.  I'm trying to make a dent in my repro scraps.  What a hope.
Here are the green Mary's Baskets:
and the Wagon Trail blocks:
Do you see the odd one in the lower right corner?  I found another purple strip, so I added it in.  You can never have enough purple.
This was all I was planning to do with the RSC this year.  Last year was so much fun.  I really looked forward to each new month.  And it did help tame down my scraps a little.
But last year I had two projects with two different kinds of scraps--1930s repros and bright colors.  I was really missing the bright colors this year.
So I started yet another quilt!
It's called Fly Away Home, by Kate Henderson, from her book Strip Savvy.
It's a cute book, with lots of good ideas.
Fly Away Home is a two block quilt.  Block A is this simple one:
Since I didn't start this quilt at the beginning of the year, I'm catching up on 3 months worth.  I've got January's light blue, February's purple, and March's green blocks done.
The alternate block is this one:
It's a cute little flying geese block, which gives the quilt its name.  I only put one block together, since I don't want to have all of the blocks with the same colors.  As the months go by, I'll make more flying geese and add them into blocks.
So much fun, so little time.
The only things I finished this week are two pillowcases.
My little buddy went with me to drop them off at the quilt shop, where volunteers were hard at work making lots of pillowcases for National Quilting Day.  (You can see photos of the ladies sewing and cutting as soon as I get them up on the Ties That Bind blog.)
This is my third year of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and for me it just keeps getting better.  I can't thank Angela enough for hosting it!
Have a wonderful rainbow-filled week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
I'm linking up (late!) with So Scrappy, Busy Hands Quilts, and Can I Get A Whoop Whoop.







6 comments:

  1. Lovely blocks you've got going there. Your little buddy is adorable ;)))
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! (What a pretty name!) I am so lucky to have a little buddy to help out around here.

      Delete
  2. LOVE the Wagon Trail blocks and that cheerful new quilt you started!! I hear you on the RSC, as I am in my 4th year of participation. It really helps motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You accomplished a lot, and make progress on everything! Great job. The quilts you are making for the RSC are going to be amazing. Keep working to tame your scraps, you are making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! It will be fun to make yellow/gold blocks for April.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!