Saturday, June 9, 2018

Oh Scraps!


Have you seen this book yet?  Of course I'm talking about  Oh, Scrap, by Lissa Alexander.  I just can't get over how much I love it.  I mean, it's scraps!  Colorful, clever projects made of scraps!  So of course I want to make quilts from some (all!) of the patterns in the book.
The first quilt in the book is a plus quilt, which is great fun.  Each block is made of one color and a light background, with a blue square in the center.  All nine squares in the block are different.  I actually followed the directions, which is rare for me, and here is what the top looked like on my flannel wall.
But then this jungle fabric called me from the closet shelf.  So instead of just adding a blue binding, I added a border of hippos, tigers, zebras, alligators, and their friends, and bound with green.
Here's the final result, ready to give away to a child.  Scrap busting fun with a purpose.
And of course the back is a rainbow of paw prints.

Speaking of rainbows, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for June is aqua or teal, which can be a challenge for reproduction 1800s fabrics.  I'm making two repro quilts this year, so when sorting through the fabrics I dragged out anything aqua, teal, turquoise, aquamarine, or greenish-blue.
I ended up with 6 of the Mary's Basket blocks, shown here with my 1890s Minnesota A treadle.
Several of the fabrics are sort of "aqua-ish", but I like them.
This one has Lewis and Clark fabric in the center.
This one's center is from the Dargate book collection, bought years ago from reproductionfabrics.com.

In other news, I cut the rhubarb, made a pie, and canned a few jars for winter.
And look what came in the mail! 
I won these fat quarters for participating in the Hands2Help charity quilt drive!  Classic blue and white, couldn't be better.  The little card is a thank you from Little Lambs Foundation, where my baby quilts went.
Thanks to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for starting and continuing this great work, and for rounding up all sorts of nice prizes for us. 
I'm wishing sunshine and happy surprises in the mail for you this week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
I'm linking up today with So Scrappy, Busy Hands Quilts, and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

















6 comments:

  1. What a playful looking quilt that turned out to be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I got to use lots of fun fabrics in it.

      Delete
  2. Scrap quilts are my favourite and yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that animal print! I still have a few tiny scraps of it in my stash. So fun!

    You did a great job finding "aqua-ish" repro fabrics for your baskets. It's really a versatile color, I think. And congrats on winning your pretty FQ bundle. Actually, you earned it rather than winning it :)

    louise dot hornor at gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! It's a win for everybody--the kids get a quilt and I have the fun of making it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!