Saturday, June 30, 2018

Unplugged

Hello again!  We're back from a family reunion in Michigan.  This is hubby and me in front of our cabin.
We were right on the lake, which the grandkids loved.  The water was icy, as is usual for Lake Michigan, but the kids had fun anyway.
Check out this cool thing I found in a gift shop!  It's called Wet-it, is made in Sweden, and is used to clean or mop up spills.  Aren't these chicks a hoot?  I might need to make a quilt like this.  Click HERE to go to the web site for these cloth/paper hybrids.

Before we left, I got the last of the June blocks done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  These are my aqua/teal wagon trail blocks made from 1800s reproduction fabrics.
As I guess you can tell, I don't have a lot of aqua in these prints.  In fact, some of them are downright green or blue.
Due to their scarcity in my stash, I went with whatever would sort-of work.
Yes, this block is definitely green, except for the wavy aqua stripe.  Good enough for me!

On the trip, we unplugged a little from regular life.  Back at home, my poor Pfaff is unplugged for real with a thread snarl I can't get to.  So she's going into the shop next week.  Until she comes back, I can't get any machine quilting done.
Oh, well!  Guess I'll just keep piecing on the treadle til Mrs. Pfaff comes back.  The little quilt above was made with pieces I bought at the big sale two weeks ago.
Squares had been cut from this fabric, and stuffed in a bag with lots of other great fabrics.  The price?  Eight dollars!
The coordinating fabric for the border was also in the bag.  I just stitched the squares together as if they were rail fence blocks and added the border.  This will make a nice baby quilt for charity when I get it quilted.
This framed 4 patch is all pieced, waiting for Mrs. Pfaff.  The blocks were made from 3.5 in. squares I was trying to use up, and framed with 2.5 in. strips.  The blocks measure 10 in. finished.  With the 3 in. finished yellow border, the quilt is 36 in. x 46 in.
Dinosaurs had to be included in this quilt!  Also, chickens, hearts, cows, fish, sports, and lots of dots.

I have the backs chosen and cut for both of these quilts, so when Mrs. Pfaff returns from the repair shop/clinic, we will be ready to go.
I have so many quilts that need to be quilted that I almost hate to pile up more.  The backlog is enormous!  But I know I'll finish these small quilts right away as soon as Mrs. Pfaff gets a clean bill of health.
This would probably be a good time to look through all my projects and set some tops together.  I can get some scrap cutting done, too.
Are you plugged in this week, or unplugged?  Either way, I hope you're enjoying the summer.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and So Scrappy (on Saturday) and to Oh Scrap on Sunday.  Come and join the scrappy goodness!























6 comments:

  1. What a clever way to use that striped fabric. I love it!

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I absolutely loved seeing your Kaffe Fassett bow ties. More inspiration for me. Scraps are the best!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you enjoyed your time being unplugged. Hoping Mrs. Pfaff recovers quickly, so you can make more quilts to go with the adorable baby tops you've finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I have a backlog of tops waiting to be quilted, and as a hand quilter, I fear I may never get to them all. Time to learn how to quilt on my machine. Lovely tops you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a "rail fence" with striped fabric lately, too. Yours looks really great and what a deal you got on those fabrics! These little quilts will finish up fast when your Pfaff is up and running :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!