Saturday, August 4, 2018

In the Making

My favorite music this week should be Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.  Much is started, nothing is finished (yet).  It's all in the making.
Above is the Ohio Star reproduction quilt.  Mrs. Pfaff and I have been busy quilting, but progress is slow.  At least each of the two pieces is quilted as much as it can be before joining, and is joined together on the top.
This is the back, waiting for the hand stitching.  When I get that done, I'll quilt the area near the join on both sections, and then the borders.  There is hope for finishing this UFO yet.
I'm also piecing an I Spy quilt made of 5 in. squares.  I hope to get the top done today, but I won't get it quilted until the Ohio Star is done.  (It's a promise I made myself--don't set aside the Ohio Star to do other quilts.  I want that quilt done!)
The I Spy has been lots of fun.  I have so many great novelty prints, and I can use lots of them in this quilt.  Stay tuned--I'll share the pattern on next week's blog.
I've been thinking about orange this week.  It's the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Quilt Challenge.  I absolutely LOVE orange.  I think this will be one of my favorite months.
My Little Buddy wanted to pick the orange cherry tomatoes, but I convinced him to wait.  This variety is red when ripe, but a very pretty orange when immature.
This is my roll of orange 2.5 in. strips for the Fly Away Home quilt.  I can hardly wait to cut into them.
But first, I have to deal with this:
25 pounds of peaches and a dozen ears of corn, fresh from the West Bend Farmer's Market.  The peaches need to rest a bit and "air-ripen" before I can them, but I'll blanch, cut, and freeze the corn today.
Sometimes I wonder why I go out and buy more work for myself.  On the other hand, there's peach pie, even in the winter.  And delicious Wisconsin corn. 
Here's another project--what to do with this gorgeous olive oil can?  I removed the top and washed it (after we used all the olive oil, of course).  I might put utensils in it or something.  Any ideas?

If I'm to make a dent in any of the projects I have planned, I had better get to work.  And my Little Buddy had better start taking reliable naps again.  (Sigh.)

Finishing quilts does make me do a little happy dance.  But there is really no hurry. I get a lot of joy just in the making.

Wishing you joy this week, in whatever you do.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with Angela at Soscrappy
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts  
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
 











12 comments:

  1. Adorable I Spy coming along so well--and I love your stars; I can see why you want to finish it...that's a lot of canning work you have on hand...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julierose (what a pretty name!) The corn is done, I'm working on the peaches this morning, and thinking about quilts.

      Delete
  2. I have wonderful memories of eating fresh corn straight from my grandmother's Wisconsin garden - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angie! This is such a great time of year in Wisconsin. We are so lucky.

      Delete
  3. I'm from Wisconsin and have very fond memories of sweet corn in August. That and home-grown tomatoes are summer highlights!
    Love your Ohio Stars quilt! Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julie! It's hard to beat Wisconsin sweet corn and tomatoes!

      Delete
  4. I love the color orange too so I can’t wait to see all the pretty projects this month. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! It's fun to see what you're up to each week.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I took a page out of your book and took pictures of orange around me for inspiration. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  6. LOVE YOUR OLIVE OIL CAN! I suggest go to craft store and get those not round marbles that they use in vases with fake flowers... for weights in the bottom of your vessel. THEN you can use it for wooden spoons, etc, not too heavy. Or dried flowers. OR what ever. Love that you will be using that vessel, and loving the quirkiness of it in your home. Oh, and also love the Ohio Star quilt, glad you are getting near the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas, QuiltGranma! I am all about quirkiness and repurposing!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!