Saturday, November 17, 2018

Harvest Home

Hello, and welcome!  Are you ready for Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  The meaning is right in the name--giving thanks, which I know I should do more often.  The family will gather at our house for a big meal and lots of love and laughter.
I'm trying to get food planned so I can make some dishes ahead of time.  Refrigerator space is always a problem, but I think we're going to put some things, like the pumpkin pies, in the trunk of my car Wednesday night.  (It's good and cold in the garage, but above freezing, and I'm not going anywhere then.  I'll let you know how that turns out!)
Meanwhile, I'm still working on the wagon trail quilt, one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  I'm auditioning this border, which strobes on the screen but not in real life.
I've also decided that I need another row of blocks.  It was going to be square, which is wide enough but too short for the bed.
So back to making blocks, and using up more scraps!
These are my leaders and enders--rail fence blocks.  I think I'm going to set them like this, on point.

As I give thanks for all the blessings of my life, I'm also mindful of the people devastated by the fires in California.  Right now I'm sending money to help, but maybe later there will be a need for quilts as families rebuild their lives.  My donation is going to the California Community Foundation's Wildfire Relief Fund, but there are many other places to send money, including the American Red Cross.

Today I will close with one of my favorite hymns.  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Come Ye Thankful People, Come
written by Henry Alford in 1844

Come ye thankful people come,
Raise the song of Harvest Home
All is safely gathered in
Ere the winter storms begin
God our Maker doth provide
For our wants to be supplied
Come to God's own temple, come
Raise the song of Harvest Home.
Linking up today with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Can I Get A Whoop Whoop) 
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Angela at Soscrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











16 comments:

  1. Good morning - thank you for thinking of the people of California. I live about an hour from the devastating Camp Fire. So awful. So much need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathleen! I am so sorry about what is happening/has happened there. Please tell us if you know of anything we else we can do to help.

      Delete
  2. I've never made Wagon Trail blocks. LOVE yours! I might just have to add this to my RSC list for future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Sylvia! I can't wait to see your Wagon Trail all finished up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise, and Happy Thanksgiving to you! It may take a while before I get this one done, since I'm going to set it aside for the holidays. But at least I've got a plan!

      Delete
    2. And thanks for your kind comment on my blog, too! Did you know you are a "no-reply" commenter? I don't have a direct email address for you.

      Delete
    3. Hi again, Louise. Yes, I know about the no-reply. I had a problem with spam a few years ago and set things up this way. It's probably time to think about fixing that.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love your wagon trail quilt! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I'm originally from Vermont and we always used the garage to store leftovers (that big turkey after it is cooked until we could process it!). We had a workbench out there that got cleared off for holidays. I miss having that in Florida ... everything has to fit in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb A! Happy Thanksgiving in Florida! When my parents lived in Florida, we could take a walk after dinner on Thanksgiving. Sure helps with the digestion!

      Delete
  5. Your Wagon Trail blocks are really neat! I love the design they create. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scrap quilts you shared with Oh Scrap! And thanks for sharing the link to help out those affected by the devastating fire. It is such a tragic situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your wagon trail quilt as well as your leaders and enders project. Now and again I get organised enough to do this, lol. Thoughts and prayers from our side of the world too for those in California. Love the hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare! I love leaders and enders, but sometimes I think it contributes to the enormous amount of UFOs around here.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!