Sunday, November 25, 2018

Playing Catch Up

It's the end of Thanksgiving weekend around here.  We had a good time with all of our kids, their spouses, and our grand kids.  My little buddy learned this "trick" from Grandpa, and now he thinks the cornucopia basket is a hat.  As you can see, it makes him very happy.  As he says, "Silly Grandpa."
I did finish a project, but I can't show it to you yet.  Ssh, it's a Christmas secret.  I've got the binding to do yet, and that's going to be whipped down by hand.

I'm playing catch up on a Block of the Month.  Until yesterday, I had only six blocks done for Barbara Brackman's Antebellum Album, but had gotten stuck.  We get block #11 this Wednesday, so I got out the bucket of red and green scraps and made these four.

Only two of these are the official blocks.  The hourglass and the flower are blocks I added to replace a couple I was having trouble with (which is why I was stuck).  Block #3 just would not print out right no matter what I did (I'm sure this is my fault, not Ms. Brackman's), and I really didn't like Block #10.  So I looked through the wonderful pictures of antique quilts Ms. Brackman puts on her blog, and chose these blocks from the photos.
Here are all ten of the blocks laid out on the kitchen table.  I'm not sure how I'm going to set them together.  I do know that I DON'T want a square quilt.
If I need more blocks, no worries.  I've got LOTS more scraps.
Civil War Quilts:  Antebellum Album
Above is the link to the instructions for Block #10.  From there you can get to all the posts.
It's good weather for knitting.  We're supposed to get a snow storm this afternoon/tonight.  I've got beans cooking for soup, oatmeal cookies baked, and I'm finishing my blue wool sweater that I started last winter.  I can't seem to knit in the summer, but as soon as we get a frost I want my needles in my hands.
This is the last skein of this blue yarn.  Luckily, I'm most of the way through the second sleeve, and only have the neckband to do after that.

I hope you stay warm and cozy this week, wherever you are.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Angela at Soscrappy






10 comments:

  1. Your Christmas blocks are looking great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I love watching what you do with your scraps. I think you have even more than I do!

      Delete
  2. I love those red and green blocks! They're going to make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! And I'm kind of glad we're not getting the last block until the end of December, so no pressure to finish any time soon. Maybe by then I'll have figured out how I'm going to put them together.

      Delete
  3. Good times at your house, Sylvia!! Between Little Buddy, quilting, and knitting, it sounds like you enjoyed a full weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! It is definitely joyful around here even on non-holidays!

      Delete
  4. I am like you I used to knit year round, but lately the summer seems to put a damper on my knitting. That and getting back to quilting. LOL! Now I can't stop making hats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, chrisknits! I absolutely LOVE making hats. I made some for a charity drive in October and may have gotten it out of my system for awhile. But not for long!

      Delete
  5. Love that photo of your grandson with the cornucopia on his head! So fun :) Your blocks are looking good. You've solved the problem of blocks you don't like or can't figure out in just the perfect way: make a different one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! That kid (and his grandpa) make me laugh every day. I'm looking forward to more tales of your adventures at sea.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!