Saturday, November 10, 2018

Loose Ends and Layouts

Welcome to my blog.  I hope you are having a lovely weekend.   I know I am--I'm sewing!


All my blocks are done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I'm starting to put them together into tops.  This is rows 1-3 of the Mary Ann's Baskets quilt, made from reproduction fabric scraps.  Surprise, I'm not following the layout in the book exactly.  I want a rectangular rather than a square quilt.  (The book is Classic & Heirloom Quilts, by Betsy Chutchian).
Even though I've been quilting for over 40 years, I haven't made very many diagonal sets, at least not recently.  So I'm having to lay it all out and work on it carefully so as not to mess it up.

I'm not sure why I decided to make three Rainbow Scrap quilts this year.  Maybe I just couldn't make up my mind?? (That would not be unusual.)  So I'm also working on this top.
The pattern for this quilt is in the same book.  Ms. Chutchian calls her quilt White Rock Creek, but another book calls these blocks Wagon Trail. They're also made from repro scraps, that I've been sewing all year.  I did add in some brown and black scraps (colors not on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge list this year), which would be appropriate to this time period.
Surprise again, I'm doing a slightly different set.  I'm setting it together in two sections.  Then I'll add borders (not sure what color yet), and quilt each section.  I want to quilt something pretty in the open spaces, and that will be easier if the quilt is in two pieces.

So these quilt tops have been on my to-do list for a while, and I'm glad to be at least starting to get them together.
But--squirrel!
I couldn't help it, I started these blocks last week, and just kept going until I had enough for a child's quilt.  The block is called King's Crown, and the centers are crumb blocks made from the snippets in my scrap basket.  There might be a bit too much red and blue in it, but you work with what you have.  No hurry on this one, it will be a charity quilt sometime in the new year.

I did actually finish a little wall quilt this week, but it was more than half done last week.  Now it's been bound, washed, and hung on the wall, ready for Thanksgiving.

Did it snow where you live this week?  We got a little dusting here Thursday night and Friday morning.  Little Buddy and I made this:
It's his first snowman!  He was so excited about it, even though it's not even as tall as he is.  He couldn't wait to show it to his big brother and mom.

Do we have lots of fun around here?  You betcha!

I hope you had fun this week, too.

Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up this week with:
Angela at soscrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Can I Get A Whoop Whoop)
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework (Oh Scrap)




20 comments:

  1. Lovely quilts in progress; and I think that pumpkin piece is just adorable--I like the colors a lot hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more than one RSC quilt going, too - there are just so many fun things to try! I really like the two you're showing, especially the baskets. They look fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! The baskets are fun--it's almost a star block. Fast and easy.

      Delete
  3. Fun projects! How can anyone stop at one????

    Buddy looks like he had a great time playing in the snow! We have a dusting of snow in my neck of the woods. I am positive that it will be more than a dusting soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! We're getting ready for a snowy winter here too. This one surprised us. Little Buddy needs new boots and snow pants!

      Delete
  4. RSC quilts and the Squirrel are all wonderful. Little Buddy's Snowman Experience? Priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I hope you're tucked up warm and getting better quickly!

      Delete
  5. I love that Kings Crown piece! A completely understandable squirrel project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I had a crazy idea I would use up some of the 3.5 in. strips for that project. Weirdly, I now seem to have MORE of them.

      Delete
  6. I love how you used those crumb blocks. That quilt is so bright and happy. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia! I'm enjoying your rectangular slab blocks today. It's got me thinking of diving into the little scraps again.

      Delete
  7. Love all your projects, but especially that squirrel!
    And your Little Buddy and his snowman are both absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! The poor little guy will be very disappointed tomorrow. His little snowman is almost completely melted away.

      Delete
  8. Love the White Rock Creek quilt! Buddy is so cute with his snowman. We had a dusting here in NE Ohio, but it did not stay on the ground long. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! We used to live in Ohio many years ago, first in Chillicothe, and later in the Dayton suburbs. We have such fond memories of Ohio and Ohioans.

      Delete
  9. Lots of fun projects happening at your place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!