Saturday, July 6, 2019

Red, White, and Blue--and Pink!

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  I hope you're enjoying your weekend.  I know I am!
Look what I found!  I was taking advantage of the time off from babysitting to do some straightening up in the sewing room, and found 4 star blocks I made for Covered In Love last year and never sent.
Covered in Love is "a quilting charity that provides comfort quilts for families of people who have passed away in the hospital".  Kat of Kat and Cat quilts has block drives every two months or so, and then Kat and other volunteers make quilts from the blocks.  I must have made these blocks in July or August last year.
I'm embarrassed to have never sent the blocks, but good news!  Kat is running the same block drive for July and August this year.  The theme is Red White and Blue stars, and you can read all about it HERE.  You can make any star block you like, that ends up measuring 12 in. finished.
I'll definitely send in the 4 blocks from last year, but it seemed like a good time to make some more.  I love to get out the patriotic fabrics on the 4th of July.  I have a total of 8 blocks done, with 2 more cut to piece later today.  Monday morning Little Buddy and I will go to the post office and actually mail them off.
One of the nice things about making these particular stars is how easy they are to sew, and how all the pieces can be cut from 3.5 in. strips.  I use the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers to cut the triangles.  All the fabrics are from my scrap bins.
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month is pink.  Honestly, it's never been my favorite color, but I'm trying to warm up to it.  This is one of our peonies about a month ago--the blooms are all gone now.
I didn't get as far as sewing any of the pink blocks yet, but I did pull out pink strips that will work for the zigzag quilt.  There are some good novelty prints in here--boots, Matryoshka dolls, sheep riding bicycles, etc.  I get a lot of these fabrics second hand, and it's great to do something with them.
With all the rain we've had lately, we really haven't had to water the garden much.  The rain barrel is full! Little Buddy really loves to fill his watering can and "help" me when we do give the veggies and flowers a little drink.
Have a lovely weekend, and a happy week ahead.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap



 




14 comments:

  1. Don't be embarrassed about never sending the CiL blocks last year. Just be thankful it's a recurring Block Drive, so Kat will be able to use them this year!! (And thanks for the reminder, as I wanted to make some blocks for her, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I'm just glad I found the blocks this week and not in September! I'd like to be more efficient, but I'm not counting on it.

      Delete
  2. I've been sewing stars for CiL this afternoon! Yours look great! And fun pink scraps to work with, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm looking forward to seeing your CiL blocks. It's so inspiring to see all the different ideas for patriotic stars.

      Delete
  3. I will start my star blocks this week, I hope. I love doing the Red, White and Blue stars. So many options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! There are so many great star blocks that really show off the red white and blue color scheme. Good luck with your choices.

      Delete
  4. It's great that your blocks for the charity are not too late after all! Nice pink fabrics; enjoy turning them into something nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for finding your blocks! There's always a need for more quilts and the RWB ones are very popular. I just finished a quilt from the very last star blocks from the last several drives. Here's a little secret: better late with an accurate 12.5" block than on time with an oddball size :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I am always amazed at all the quilting you get done! And so much of it is for donations. Maybe I'd better measure my blocks again, just to be sure they're okay. I know how it is, trying to put odd sizes together into a quilt.

      Delete
  6. Your blocks will be much appreciated. I am hoping to make a few myself this year.

    Looking forward to seeing your pink blocks. It is a favorite color of mine. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! I've been working with the pink fabrics this weekend, and the color might be starting to grow on me. Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. I love your red, white, and blue! And I love the pink flowers in your garden - that a peony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Yes, that's a peony. I took the photo a few weeks ago, when they were blooming. Now that's a pink I really like.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!