Saturday, November 9, 2019

Butterflies and Homework

Hello again, and welcome to the blog!
I'm still working on quilts for the Socorro Foundation (click HERE for the info and guidelines) and I managed to get another one finished.  Surprise, it's pink!  (I'm not really that much into pink.)
The pieced blocks are just 3 strips each like a rail fence.  The alternate blocks are a butterfly print.  The scraps came from my bag of 2 in. wide strips.
Check out the back!  It's a beach print.  Doesn't the beach sound good right now?  Our snow is melted here, but the cold November wind is blowing.   I got this fabric at the Vogue Fabric booth at Quilt Expo in September.  It was just the right size.
I've got one more quilt in the works for Socorro, and then I'll mail them off.  I want to get everything I'm going to mail out of here in the next couple of weeks, before Christmas makes things crazy at the post office.
So that's the butterflies.
Here's the homework.
Back when I was a school librarian, the kids at school really liked a poem by Jack Prelutsky called Homework.  The first lines were "Homework, oh, homework, I hate you, you stink!"  And that's pretty much the way they felt about it.
But not me!  I love my homework!  My homework is quilts!
Because of my babysitting schedule, I can't go to the work days my quilt guild has, so I always volunteer to do binding.  I bound these four recently, and they are ready to be distributed next week to people who need them.
Want to see?
Isn't this a pretty scrap quilt?  I would call this pattern Buckeye Beauty, but it has lots of other names.
Whoever chose the colors did a great job.
I had a terrible time taking a photo of this little quilt, sorry.
It's nice and scrappy, and will be a lovey for a child.
I made this top a while back.  I love seeing them after they're quilted by our long arm volunteers.
It's similar to a disappearing nine patch.  The volunteers chose a great backing.
The last one in the pile is this one, that I've already blogged about.
Remember this adorable pink pig flannel backing?

The ladies in my quilt guild are amazing.  Every meeting, the charity committee gets at least five donated quilts and/or tops, and often twice that.  I'm looking forward to finding out the total number we've made and donated this year.  One of the committee members has promised to send me pictures.

The best thing is, we're not the only ones!  I love seeing all the quilts people are making and donating, mentioned in blog posts.   (And, truthfully, not just donation quilts, but every other quilt or project, too!)
Stay warm this week, and keep sewing!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Alycia Quilts--Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy













18 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of eye candy this morning. All beautiful in their own way. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you found a way to contribute to your Guild's charity quilt efforts! Many hands make light work. A couple of ladies in my Bee are also "designated binders." :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! We all do what we can. As you say, many hands make light work!

      Delete
  3. Your latest quilt for Socorro is just great! I love your block ideas. I taught 5th grade in my teaching career, and my students always loved that Homework poem! I agree that your homework is the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I actually could sympathize with the kids about homework (although I would never say so!). Fifth graders are lots of fun. I don't miss work, but I do miss the kids sometimes.

      Delete
  4. What a super collection of charity quilts! Each one is lovely and bright and sure to bring warmth, comfort and cheer. Hooray for your VERY productive guild and many thanks to you, Sylvia, for all you do for others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I have been enjoying your posts about the quilts you finish for Covered in Love, especially your lessons on using orphan blocks. Everybody has at least a few orphans that need a new home.

      Delete
  5. Just love the butterfly quilt, and I rather like the idea of the simple rail fence between the alternate blocks. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely batch of quilts you've got growing there! And good for you for stepping up to do the binding! I find that work to be peaceful, but I understand that a lot of people don't enjoy it at all... 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gayle! I must confess, I do the binding by machine so it goes a bit faster. Plus it's nice and sturdy, although maybe not as pretty.

      Delete
  7. What fun a lovely quilts... and the pig backing... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I grew up on a hog farm in Indiana. I like these piggies better than the real thing.

      Delete
  8. Each and every quilt is lovely! Kudos to Quilter's that share their quilts with others. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I love how you share what you're working on with us. Thanks for Oh Scrap every week!

      Delete
  9. That first quilt looks like such a happy one -- a quilt a little girl will love to use!
    Your stack of quilts on the rocker looks so inviting. I love your low window in the background. Lots of light coming in there!
    How kind of you to bind the quilts for your guild. That's a time-consuming job. (It's one of my least favorite but one I do immediately after finishing a quilt or I know I would procrastinate doing it for ages.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nancy! I know what you mean about binding right away. It's like making socks. As soon as I finish the first sock, I immediately cast on the second one, or it might not get done.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!