Saturday, January 4, 2020

Quiet and Pieceful

Happy New Year!  I hope we're all having a good start to 2020.  And what's a better start than making a quilt?
With the help of a little extra time off (and a seam ripper!)  I got this donation top done.  The ladies in my quilt group make things so easy.  They take fabric that has been donated to our group, and cut up kits.  The rest of us take the kits home, and eventually bring them back as tops.
The notes with this kit called it "Scrap Attack", but I've been unable to find this specific pattern online.  There is definitely a wrong way to put it together, and that's how I did the first 24 blocks--wrong!  Thus the seam ripper.  (Sigh.)
There are 80 small blocks (8 in. finished) set 8 x 10, for a quilt that will measure 64 in. x 80 in.  I'm wondering if I should add a border.  What would you do?

A very happy surprise on New Years Day was the first color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Thank you, Angela!  Click HERE for that post.  The color for January 2020 is green.
Frogs are green! (and other colors, too, of course.) 
So are (some) tractors!  These are kind of low contrast.
Here they are!
And of course there are the Packers.  They're very important around here.
What about dots?
Or bugs?  It's easier to see the pattern on this square.

The pattern is called Text Me A Quilt, and comes from this book, Scrap Basket Bounty by Kim Brackett.  This is the second pattern I'm making from this book in recent months. It's a good book.
These blocks are similar to Garlic Knots, with a few more pieces.
I'm planning on using this layout, but of course I did make some changes.  Ms. Brackett's block is made with 2 in. squares and strips, but I'm making mine with 2.5 in.  That makes my blocks 10 in. finished.  I'm also using two prints of the same color family, instead of two different colors.  She called it Text Me A Quilt because she used text prints as the background, but my backgrounds are just scraps I happen to have handy.
The new year is a good time to organize my sewing room.  It's a daunting task, but I'm going to keep working on it.  Little by little, things get done.
Have a wonderful weekend, and a "pieceful" week ahead.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with
Angela at So Scrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











18 comments:

  1. Your new block for 2020 is a fun block - I love the design it makes in the quilt, too! So sorry you needed the seam ripper for your donation quilt - that's not fun at all. But it did turn out great in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Well, into each quilter's life some ripping must fall. I am definitely having fun with this new block. Starting a new quilt is always fun!

      Delete
  2. Awesome scrappy projects!! Best of luck on working through your scraps in the RSC20. Looking forward to seeing that quilt grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! You take care of yourself. I hope your back is better.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilt ... someone will be so lucky to receive it. Love all your green scraps and using them in Kim's book is perfect. Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Scrap Attack will make a nice donation quilt. It seems like a good size without a border. I've made some for hospice with the requested size of 64 x 80. Those Text Me blocks are sure full of a lot of fun and smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! Thanks for your help. It will probably be just fine without a border. I think the quilt will be going to a local homeless shelter, and will be given to a family as they go into an apartment.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea making kits for charity quilts! That has to make it so much easier, efficient and productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ladies on our committee are really on the ball! We gave away over 100 lap or full sized quilts last year, thanks to them.

      Delete
  6. Your post is filled with scrappy goodness. I am glad to read you might not add a border. I like your donation quilt just like it is. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm happy to leave off the border. I think the binding will make enough of an edge.

      Delete
  7. Wow, love that first quilt block! I would skip the borders and go for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some really fun green scraps! I really like that "text me" block. It should really make a super quilt with all the RSC colors. The scrap attack is a neat block, too! I had to really stare at it to figure it out. I don't think it needs a border, since the darker scraps already look like they are bordering the negative space plus signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm glad to get your input, especially since you make so many terrific donation quilts. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. cute green prints in there....sadly our sewing group at church disbanded when it got down to just 3 of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got a good start on a very fun RSC project for 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!