Saturday, January 25, 2020

Dreaming of Tulips

This is the view out my back door this morning.  It's the usual Wisconsin Winter Wonderland.
I can't say I'm surprised, it is January after all, and from my warm kitchen it looks very pretty.
That doesn't stop me from dreaming about springtime.  Yesterday I finished this spring-filled tulip quilt top, in two colors of pink.
Now, I'm not a real fan of pink, as I have said a time or two before.  (It might be because it reminds me of Pepto Bismol?  Not sure.)  So what am I doing with these colors?
This quilt is what I call a rescue.  A friend of mine, who used to have a quilt store, hand dyed the fabric and packaged it as a kit.  The lady who bought this kit did part of it, then set it aside.  When she passed away, her family gave the kit back to my friend, who brought it to a quilt history meeting as a freebie.  The scraps above are all that's left.
I added the yellow fabric, bought at my local quilt shop, and worked on fixing up the blocks.  The lady had done the project in steps, making all the half square triangles on triangle paper, cutting the strips for the corners, etc., and had only put together 3 or 4 blocks.  That was a blessing, because they were all put together wrong and had to be ripped out.  (Oh, and with a tiny stitch length, too.  Sigh.)  Some of the smaller pieces just couldn't be ripped out without raveling away, so I had to use them as they were.
The original pattern was for a square quilt in a smaller size.  I scraped together enough pieces from the scraps to make 5 more blocks, for a twin sized quilt.  There was plenty of dark green for the border.
I did the best I could with it, but it's not perfect.  There are lots of places where points are cut off, seams don't match, etc.  The hand dyed fabrics are very nice, and the colors (even pink!) brighten up a winter's day.  I plan to finish it as a donation quilt.
In other news, more green!  This is the last Saturday in January, so we will have a new color (orange!) for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge next week.  My green blocks are already made, so I'm going to work on cutting this pile of green scraps into future usefulness.  (I've got an idea for those tractors!)
Look what I got--it's a shoe organizer, but I'm using it for scrap strips.  Each pocket is for a different size and/or category.  I have bright scraps and reproduction fabric scraps separated, and when it comes to the 2.5 in. strips I separate light and dark in both categories.  At the bottom (not shown) is a large pocket which I'm using for strings.  So far, I really like it.  The price was definitely right--$10 at Target.  I can cut scraps, sort them, and then put them away and start over.  Doesn't that sound like a fun day?
It would be even more fun if we had any of this left--chocolate pudding!  My little buddy absolutely loves it, and it's a good way to get more milk into him.  I make a big batch and put it in these little containers.  It's great for portion control, even though there is more pudding in these little cups than in those containers at the store.  But I leave out the artificial flavors and colors and preservatives.
Spring is a long way away here.  Winter often doesn't give up until the middle of April.  It's a good thing we've got bright colors (even pink!) to distract us from all that white snow.

Have a warm, wonderful week, and thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











14 comments:

  1. You get a gold star for making lemonade out of lemons with the tulip quilt and sometimes you just have to overlook the imperfections in favor of calling a project finished.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Even quilts I make from scratch myself are often "not perfect, but okay." Everything doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely rescue quilt you finished up there, Sylvia! I'm not much for pink either, but the way you added the yellow and green makes it seem like a garden full of tulips. Love your idea for sorting scraps, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I forgot to mention, I got the shoe organizer idea from a library book. It's coming in very handy.

      Delete
  3. Great job on that rescue project, Sylvia! I like how it worked right in the the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Cool scrap strip organizer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! There are 3 shades of green in the rescue tulip quilt. Do I get extra credit ?

      Delete
  4. Wonderful rescue job on the tulip quilt! It is very cheery, and someone will be thrilled to receive it. I remember, but don't miss, those snowy days in Wisconsin (I grew up there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! After living in Wisconsin for nearly 29 years, I might be getting used to it. At least I don't have to fight the snow to go to work anymore. It's a great place to live, in spite of the weather.

      Delete
  5. I think it's a gorgeous spring inspired quilt! Pink is my favorite color these days, so it certainly hit a chord with me! I'd love to have a view out my window like yours! But just for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! Yes, winter would be nice to visit! It's just a little harder to live with, but we manage okay.

      Delete
  6. Wow - look at all that snow! those tulips would just pop sitting on all that white! LOVE your top - and the story behind it... it is very springy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I always wonder about the original quilter when I take on one of these projects. It's too bad she didn't get to see it finished.

      Delete
  7. Great job finishing up that passed around UFO. It looks lovely! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!