Saturday, January 11, 2020

Anything Goes

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  This week I pushed through a rotten cold to finish two little donation quilts.
One of the ladies at my quilt group made the tops from donated fabric.  I quilted and bound them.
They are just the right size to keep someone's lap warm.
I was very happy to use up some of my scrap fabric on the backs and for the binding.  More stuff out the door, and for a good cause.
This backing had a date on the selvedge of 1999!  The quilting is a 2 in. grid, that Mrs. Pfaff and I sewed using her built in walking foot.
Check out some of the variety!  This lizard/snake fabric was in both quilts.  So was the poly/cotton gingham, which reminds me of making dresses for my daughters in the 1980s.
Here we have millennium fabric from 2000, a pheasant print, modern prints, batiks, and a Christmas print.  Truly, anything goes!
These little quilts will probably go to a local nursing home, where they will be warm and comforting.
In other news, still green!
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge has been great for helping me use up scraps of all sorts.  As usual, I have a project just for my 1800s reproduction fabric.  These shoo fly blocks are cut from 3.5 in. strips.
I have more dark strips than light, so I settled on this configuration.  I will use two fabrics (at least) for each color (in this case, green), and two fabrics for each light.
They are simple little blocks, fast and easy to make, which I am going to need this year as my life gets busier.
This was the week that was.  (Anybody remember that show?)
For a while now, I've been enjoying the quilts people make that mark each day in a year, such as temperature quilts, etc.  After some head scratching and scribbling, I decide to record the days in 2020 like this.  Each small block represents a week, and each strip is one day.
New Year's Day was a Wednesday, so the top strip represents the sewing I did that day, especially making green RSC blocks.  The next strip has hearts for visiting family, and Clifford is for my little buddy's new book.  Saturday is a serene aqua, Sunday is a bright yellow, Monday has the dinosaurs we're always playing with, and Tuesday is a books print to represent our weekly trip to the library.

My plan is to keep going all year.  The block for each month will be made of  4 of these weekly blocks, BUT when there are more than 28 days (which is every month this year), I will split the strips in the last block as needed.  It's kind of my own Block of the Month.
There's a ice storm outside today, with snow to follow, so we are happily snowed in.  My DH is watching a ball game, and I'm going to get some more sewing done.  Well, after I take a nap.
Have a lovely week, and watch out for cold germs!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Oh Scrap










14 comments:

  1. Scrappy patchwork quilts are always so happy and fun to look at! Someone is going to really enjoy those. I like your shoofly blocks in green, and your idea for a weekly block is really neat, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I confess, I just can't do random on my own quilts, but quilting these is no problem.

      Delete
  2. I really like your "Block about the month" idea! That will be so fun to see come together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm not sure exactly what's going to happen with it, but that's part of the fun.

      Delete
  3. These are going to be amazing little lap quilts and someone is going to be forever grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lap quilts are loved by so many. It is nice to stick to simple quilting on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple is best when it comes to these quilts. I think of them as work horses, not show horses.

      Delete
  5. You've got an ice storm and we've got a 70* day today! I love how you used bits of GREEN in every project. Have fun with your Diary Blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love gingham! I remember a purple one I made for myself with embroidery when I was in high school. That was back when it was cheaper to make clothes than buy them. The little surprises in the lap quilt are the quilt's smile factor. And your personal block of the month looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I used to make clothes to save money,
      too, back in the day. Now if I make anything, it's just because I can't find what I want in the stores.

      Delete
  7. Great finishes!! so glad you were able to push thru - but do take care of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia, that is very kind of you. I think I'm on the mend at last.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!