Saturday, August 29, 2020

Shades of Purple

 

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's the last purple week of 2020 for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
So I dragged out all the purples, and boy was that fun.
Above is an antique quilt top from my collection, set with purple.  And that's why I bought it.  It's a little unusual to see purple as the sashes on a quilt older than the 1930s.  This one dates to about 1890 to 1920.

Here's a closeup of the sashing fabric.  Do you see where some of it is discolored?  It was common for purples to fade to brown or tan back in the day.  

Inspired by the old quilt, I'm thinking of putting my little Thrifty blocks together with this reproduction purple.  What do you think?

 I laid the new repro fabric (on the left) against the old quilt top.  They are very different shades of purple.
I noticed the same thing when cutting my scraps for my RSC blocks this week.  There are so many different kinds of purple!  Some are named for flowers and other plants, like lavender, lilac, violet and periwinkle.  Some are named for fruits and vegetables, like plum, grape or eggplant.  I love them ALL.


Why did I only buy a fat quarter of the bat print?  There is barely any left now.  (Please excuse the threads on the block, sorry.)

The purple 1930s house blocks are done, just in time for a new color later this week.

The roof of the house above comes from vintage dress fabric, and the background of purple flowers on white is cut from a feed sack.

The body of the house came from this Gingham Girl flour sack, made for a flour mill in Arkansas City, Kansas.  It was meant to hold 10 pounds of self-rising flour, but looks as though it was never put to use.
Polka dot house's roof came from a feed sack.

The only vintage fabric in the block above is the background of flowers on white.  It's like an old friend, I've been using it in so many quilts.
 My oldest daughter and her kids were here on Wednesday and Friday, which was fun for everyone, especially Little Buddy.

Grandpa is holding on to this wiggly guy.   Baby Buddy is wearing his swim suit.  Can you believe how cute clothes are now for babies?

This is as far as I got on the pennant baby quilt.  The top is done, the back is chosen and cut, and the frankenbatting has been hand sewn together.  I'm hoping to get it quilted today.
One of those silly kids hid this Peppa Pig under my pillow!  So she's going to stay with me, and help me in the sewing room.
 
I hope you have all the help you need for your sewing this week.  Take care of yourself, and stay safe.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
 
Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
 

 

 


 
 


 

 

 

 

 

24 comments:

  1. It looks like you had SEW much fun with your PURPLE scrap, Sylvia. LOVE the pennant quilt top!! Best of luck on getting it quilted today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Thrifty blocks are really pretty against the purple background, Sylvia! Go for it! Love all those houses in their purple colors, too. How neat that you are cutting from actual feed sacks in some cases! Baby Buddy looks like he is itching to get into some water there - and what a cute little bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I wish I had had that kind of bathing suit for my son when he was a baby! Baby Buddy did get to go in the water with the bigger kids, and he loved it. We have had a good summer in spite of everything.

      Delete
  3. I like all your purple progress - and baby buddy too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I look forward to your posts every week.

      Delete
  4. Baby Buddy looks happy to be with Grandpa, but can't wait to play with the big kids. I love the pennant quilt. The colors are so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing a bit of history of purple and quilts. I love learning about this favorite topic!
    You quilts are lovely. I was truly inspired by your pendant baby quilt! Your beautiful grandchildren and Grandpa look so happy to be together! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miaismine! I am so lucky to have such a nice family.

      Delete
  6. Loved reading your blogpost. Interesting old quilt, great purple blocks and lovely family photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm in love with this vintage quilt. Never seen a purple sashing either. It's gorgeous! What a treasure! I think your blocks look great on the purple fabric. I too have fabric that I don't understand why I didn't get the bolt. Lol. Love your purple blocks. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal. You're right--life is short, buy the bolt!

      Delete
  8. Love your blocks! What’s the name of the chain block? The ones with the 8 squares of color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, swooze (great name)! It's called Text Me A Quilt, and it's from the book Scrap Basket Bounty, by Kim Brackett. Sorry I forgot to include the name.

      Delete
  9. Oh, definitely use the purple for sashing on your Thrifties! I love quilts with unusual sashings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Louise! And I can't keep making the same quilt forever!

      Delete
  10. Purple is my favorite color so I love all of your blocks. I am going to miss seeing it in September. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should have two purple months! Thanks as always for Oh Scrap.

      Delete
  11. Lots of great purples. I like the idea of using it as sashings for your Thrifty blocks! Yea, for Peppa Pig! She’s a great helper, I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the kids don't want Peppa back. After a cup of tea, she helped me finish the pennant baby quilt. If it rains today, maybe we'll go splash in muddy puddles. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  12. Oh Sylvia, what an interesting and fun post. So many fabulous fabrics from so many neat places! Love seeing the happy grandkids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!