Saturday, October 3, 2020

Bits and Pieces

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for stopping by!

I'm adjusting to babysitting full time again, after months of part time, and not a lot of sewing is getting done.  But there are bits and pieces, here and there.

 
These are the little "Ring Me" variation blocks I was making last week.  I set them into a top with sunny yellow, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for October.
The cornerstones are cut from a cheerful red print with balloons, and ...

the border is a Clifford fire fighter print.  As you can see, it's not quilted yet, but it's spray basted and ready to go, so I plan to finish it this weekend.  It will go to Jack's Basket, and I hope it will be a cheerful gift for a family welcoming a baby with Down's Syndrome.

The last two blocks for my RSC house quilt are done!  More cats and dogs are in this blue print, to join the others in the previous blocks.

The last purple block is mostly made from feed sacks, except for the door (a vintage print) and the roof, which is a modern solid.
You might have noticed, there are no yellow blocks.  But, the windows in all the blocks are yellow, so every block has a little touch of sunshine.  I can hardly wait to set these together and quilt them.
 
This little sweater finally got assembled.  I started it back before the pandemic hit (that seems so long ago now!) and had it mostly done, but just sort of ran out of steam.  The other night I sewed in the zipper by hand, and then added the hood. 

It fits!  Doesn't it look better with our adorable model?  The weather has turned cool, so this was just the right wrap to wear to pick up big brother from school yesterday.  We wait in the car and the kids come out to us for safe social distancing.


Baby Buddy is really exploring his environment now.  The other day he found this quilt hanging on his crib and had to inspect it.  He's not exactly crawling yet, more rolling, but he gets around quickly and we really have to watch out for him.

In other news, Nailed It!  (Well, not exactly.)  The Great British Baking Show is back, with a weekly episode every Friday on Netflix.  Last week they made Battenberg cake.  Doesn't this look like a four patch?  I had to try it, and it wasn't too difficult, but in addition to leaning to one side, mine turned out kind of dry.  ( I might have over-baked it.  I can just hear Paul Hollywood saying that.)


The recipe makes enough for two cakes.  I took the extra bits and made them into a trifle, with some homemade custard.  It looks like a hot mess, but it was delicious, and would have been even better if I had had some whipped cream.  Well, of course it would!  Everything's better with whipped cream!

Fall is definitely happening here now, with the first frosts at night this week.  We'll be putting up the Halloween decorations soon, and starting to think about Thanksgiving.  This week, I wish you the joy of the season, whatever season you are in.  Stay safe!

Thanks for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches 

Join me at the Link up parties!  Fun and inspiration for everyone!
Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap




 

 

22 comments:

  1. great quilt - and I like the baking show too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try making florentines this week. Or filled macaroons!

      Delete
  2. So many goodies in this post! The cheerful yellow child's quilt, those fantastic house blocks, the adorable sweater (baby included) and a four patch dessert! Loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the baby's hooded sweater, so adorable. The cake looks good, who really cares what Paul thinks. The pieces with the custard look delicious. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! We did end up eating the cake anyway. Our 4 year old grandson loved the marzipan "icing".

      Delete
  4. what a sweet quilt for Jacks Basket, and the little one - so adorable!! I do think you nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby knitting is adorable as is the baby too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Ring Me blocks made a very sweet quilt, Sylvia! I checked that book out of the library this week, just to see how those blocks are made! Love the houses, too, and Baby Buddy's sweater. I'm so impressed that you sewed a zipper in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! The original blocks are made with string-type strips. I have lots of trouble doing things randomly, so I made mine with squares instead.

      Delete
  7. I like the Ring Me quilt. Isn’t it amazing how different fabrics completely change a design. You have great fabrics. Anyone who can knit a sweater or socks or shawl, is a rockstar in my book! And a zipper! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I'm not an expert at anything, let alone knitting, but I like making useful things. Like quilts!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful baby quilt...it will bring smiles to the baby’s and the family’s faces! What a warm and cozy sweater for a very cute little one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cozy Quilter! Isn't it fun to make things for little ones? And they're quick to finish, too!

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed seeing all you are up too. Lots to see! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I love visiting the Oh Scrap archives for great ideas!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on getting the quilt for Jack's Basket layered up, Sylvia, and happy quilting! Baby Buddy's sweater looks like a perfect fit. SEW cute, that one - especially as he is inspecting the quilt hanging from his crib!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! He is starting to get into everything! At least quilts are soft and safe.

      Delete
  11. What fun, Sylvia! The quilt for Jack's Basket is fabulous and is sure to be appreciated by the family. And that sweater looks ADORABLE on your precious Buddy! I can't believe you made that yourself! Quilting, knitting, and baking fancy four-patch cakes -- what's next for you? A Mariner's Compass pie? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! Ooh, that pie sounds interesting! Wonder what flavor would work best?

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!