Saturday, October 17, 2020

Priorities

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Little Buddy helped us decorate for Halloween this week.  He would like us to have more dramatic displays, like the blow up clowns and pumpkins at his house, but we are much more laid back than that.  Decorations have just never been a big priority.

 

I finally get to display this little one block wonder that I made back in February, during the Rainbow Scrap Challenge orange month.  It started as a mistake, a block that just didn't work in a Block of the Month quilt.  So it got its own tiny quilt instead.

Pumpkins and black cats!


Oops!  Somebody forgot to feed this guy!

How are you doing on your RSC projects?  I can't wait to see all the link ups today.  Above are my last 3 blocks for the Text Me A Quilt project. 

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge has helped me use all colors of scraps, and I love that.  But what about all those strange scraps that don't really have a definite color?  It's really hard to know what to do with some of these fabrics, even though I really like them.

So I added a few of these multicolored weirdos into the Text Me A Quilt blocks.  It's already a bright quilt, so I think it will work out.  No scraps left behind!

I think I'm getting into the swing of full time babysitting the grandkids again.  It doesn't leave me a lot of time for sewing, but that's okay.  I have all the baby cuddles I could want, Little Buddy sings me songs (his current favorite is Roger Miller's King of the Road), and my high school Buddy actually talks to me about stuff sometimes.
My goal for this week was to put the double nine patch quilt top together.  I got it finished just this morning.  This is the one I've been making from a vintage UFO I bought at a flea market and took apart.  Last week's yellow blocks were the final ones, and I had decided on this set when I first started working on it.

My poor dog is feeling neglected.  She would not leave me alone when I was laying out the top on the floor.  (Sorry, Bella!  I will make some time just for you this weekend!)

It's a good sized quilt, 78 in. x 93 in., shown here on a queen sized bed.

All the fabrics I used in it are vintage, including the white squares, the cornerstones, and the green sashing and border.  I chose the green to give it a 1930s feel, since many of the fabrics in the blocks were from that era.  Green was so widely used in the 30s that it almost seems like a neutral. The border is narrower than I would have liked, but I didn't have enough of the green to go wider.

I could add another border, maybe a print, but it's already pretty big.  I'm planning some simple grid quilting, and already have a backing I think will work.


The quilting will have to wait a bit, until I get this job done.  I went to the local orchard on Thursday, and brought home Ida Red apples for sauce, Cortlands for pie/crisp slices, and Honey Crisps for eating.  All of those were seconds, which is like the clearance rack for apples.  It just means they have an irregular or small shape, or maybe a blemish, which doesn't matter at all.  The pears were regular price, and since they're nice and firm I'll can them last.

If you do any canning, you'll know how hard it is to get jar lids this year, and how expensive they've become if you manage to find them.  I'm prioritizing this good fruit from the orchard with my time and supplies.

This difficult year has made a lot of us adjust our priorities, and has shown us what is really important.  Many things we took for granted are cancelled or unsafe.   The list of activities I miss just gets longer all the time.  But, I truly believe it will not be this way forever.  We can handle hardships.  Our long-ago ancestors' daily lives had far more hardship than most of us have ever seen.

Hang in there.  We're going to get through this.  Stay safe, and keep sewing!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 





 





 

 

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful job you did on that remake, Sylvia!! I'm looking forward to seeing this quilt all finished up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I hope it won't take me too long to get it quilted.

      Delete
  2. Your double nine patch looks wonderful, Sylvia! I love that pretty green sashing you chose! Glad you're enjoying your time with your buddies, too. I think Little Buddy is an excellent decorator! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Little Buddy keeps wanting to take it all down and put it up again!

      Delete
  3. nice progress - I invested in tattler lids awhile ago, or we would have had a hard time finding lids. But, I also feel like I can;t share those, so I felt badly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, maggie! I have some tattler lids, but I ruined a few at first when I was trying to get them open. (I really should learn to read the directions.) I used some on my pickles this summer, and most of them sealed okay.

      Delete
  4. I thought for a moment that Little Buddy had really lost some weight! The skeleton is a funny decoration :) Your vintage top looks fabulous. Super remake! You're right that we'll get through this, and that attitude will help us get through the winter and holiday season. They are bound to be strange and different this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I always think the best response to a crisis is a can-do attitude.

      Delete
  5. Love how your 'vintage' quilt turned out. I guess I had not heard that about the lids being hard to find until my Mom mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I have seen them in our stores down here... It surly is a strange year. I have to admit I enjoy the 'less busy' and more time to putter at home. Lots of baby snuggles are well worth the decreased sewing time. That skeleton had me laughing and I remember my kids listening to that song at Grandma's and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the look of your nine patch top. It makes me want to make one of my own. So simple yet so cute! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt with the green sashing. I laughed when you said you don't decorate as wildly when I saw the skeleton sitting at the table! Times are different from what we're used to but I enjoy quilting and I'm getting a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you quilted up your solo orange block!!! Your baby-on-quilt it too cute and cuddly!!! Nice! Good reminder about the hardships our ancestors had to live with, not that long ago. We are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im thinking that dog is not real sure about that new person ( skelton) sitting at the table. The Double 9 patch is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I love 9-patches, and 30's fabrics (real or reprints) I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Using herbal natural remedy was what got me tested negative to HSV 2 after been diagnosed for years.I have spend so much funds on medications like acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir (Famvir), and Valacyclovir (Valtrex But it was all a waste of time and my symptoms got worse To me It is very bad what Big pharma are doing, why keep making humans suffer greatly just to get profits annually for medications that doesn't work.I'm glad that herbal remedies is gaining so much awareness and many people are getting off medications and activating their entire body system with natural herbal remedies and they are become holistically healed totally. Quickly contact Dr Felix herbal home now email him directly on Dr.felixherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp :+2349068063760

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is my testimony on how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of Dr Oseremen, i have been suffering from this disease for the past 10 years without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to gave him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 2 weeks which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can to Emaill Dr.Oseremenvadi@gmail.com on or you can also call him on +2349056394313 he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below . HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. .DIABETES . CANCER .HEPATITIS .HIV/AIDS Thank you for your time .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to appreciate Dr Ehizele for using his herbal medicine to cure my family herpes virus,since 3years ago my family have been having this herpes disease and it have been giving my family challenges,we were so perplexed cause my family have taken several drugs to be cure but every of our effort was in-vain,a fateful morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr.Ehizele curing people of their herpes disease immediately i contacted Dr Ehizele on his email: ehizeleherbalhome@gmail.com}, told him about my family troubles and he told me that my family must be cure,so he prepare a herbal medicine for my family which we use for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream for my family,my family herpes disease was totally gone. he can also cure the following, High/low blood pressure, HSV, 1,2 and 3, Diabetes, Cancer, Asthma Unable to get pregnant, heart problem, bad breath and can also get your ex back, grant you all your heart desires  etc. why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases and get  your heart desires  on email, ehizeleherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2347089384319  

    ReplyDelete
  14. God is Good!I promised God that I would share my testimony on this website. I had all the signs of STD Virus but I was not too sure as to which one. I did a lot of online research and scared myself straight for a whole week before going to see the nurse. She took one look at my genital part and first said that it could just be the anatomy of my body, then she said it looked like genital warts and that I MAY have herpes. I was devastated. She gave me some medicine for the herpes and some cream for the warts. I was also tested for every single STD including herpes. I went home and cried searching the web for all sorts of cures for herpes and awaiting my results. I saw a post whereby Dr. ibhafidon  Blessed cured Herpes and other diseases, I copied his contGod acts out and added him on whats app via +2348152228377. The next day my test result was ready and i confirmed Herpes positive. I told Dr ibhafidon Blessed about my health problems and he assured me of cure. He prepared his herbal medicine and sent it to me. I took it for 14 days (2 weeks). Before the completion of the 14 days in which I completed the dose, the Blisters and Warts that were on my body was cleared. I went back for check-up and I was told I'm free from the virus. Dr. ibhafidon Blessed cures all types of diseases and viruses with the help of his herbal medicine. You can reach Dr. ibhafidon Blessed via his email address on ( dribhafidon96@gmail. com ) or call him on +2348152228377 and whats app him on same number for more info mail me directly on.dribhafidon96@gmail. com  

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!