Friday, June 16, 2023

ABCs and Summer Fun

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Even though school is out here for the summer, we still need to remember our ABCs!  This week I finished a little panel quilt as a donation to Quilts for Kids.  (Shown here with my black raspberry vines.  Can't wait for next month's harvest!)


I bought the panel at my local quilt shop.  It caught my eye because it was really colorful and cute.  The squares are printed, but I outline quilted them as though they were pieced.

The center of the quilt, including the solid red inner border, was the original panel.  I added a strip of light blue alphabet blocks print on each side to make it wider, and then added the red print border.

I stuck with the theme on the back, using an older print I've had in the Endless Stash for a while.  I bought it second hand, I think it was originally printed in the 1980s or 1990s.
 

By the time I got to the border, I ran out of ABC prints, so this turtle and butterfly/dragonfly one had to do.  The light blue binding is probably from the 1980s.  Hey, light blue for June's color in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  And another scrap used up.

Speaking of the RSC, this week's blocks are the Uneven Nine Patch blocks AKA Puss in the Corner.

I'm making half of them with dark centers and half with light.  They'll be alternated in the eventual quilts, but will be mixed up with all the other colors.

More cute fabrics keep turning up!  It's hard to stop making the blocks.

We're spending so much more time outside now that it's summer!  The little boys have lots of energy to run off.

Buddy posed for this picture.  He loves zooming past on the scooter.

Remember this rainbow xylophone square on the panel quilt?

Here it is in real life--with Little Guy playing the notes.  It's on the playground at the neighborhood elementary school.

Last week when we left the library, Buddy was telling me how much he loves going there, and I had a hard time not crying tears of joy.  Our library is terrific!  There are books on whatever you're currently obsessed with, from Thomas the Tank Engine (Little Guy) to Tornadoes and Turkey hunting (Buddy), and just fun stuff like Here Comes the Big Mean Dust Bunny! Plus a great summer reading program every year, and kind friendly people to assist us.  Support Your Local Library!

Have a great week ahead, everybody!  I hope it includes time for all the things you love to do.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 

 

 











 



18 comments:

  1. Are your black raspberry vines wild or domestic variety? We have wild ones, yummy! I can see why you couldn't pass up this fabric in the store, it is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicki! The berries are domestic. I bought 3 plants many years ago, and they just keep expanding. Such a delicious taste of summer.

      Delete
  2. Cute quilt finish, Sylvia, and have a fun summer with your buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Panels are almost like cheating but they make cute quilts!

      Delete
  3. The ABC quilt is adorable, Sylvia! A panel is a great way to make something like that. Looks like lots of summer fun going on, too. I love our local library! I don't have grandkids to take there, but I sure enjoy using it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Did you catch the penguin print in the first set of blocks? I always notice them now thanks to you!

      Delete
  4. You turned the ABC panel into a wonderful little quilt indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find the best fabrics. Everyone of your Quilts for Kids quilts could be a RSC in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned, that's very kind of you. I'm really into the bright novelty prints right now.

      Delete
  6. Your quilts are always so much fun and cheerful. Thanks for putting some sunshine into another rainy day here. Enjoy your summer days with the boys. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! Sorry about all the rain by you. We could use some more here!

      Delete
  7. I concur about the library. The library is full of the most wonderful adventures that you don't have to leave home to do! ABC quilts have been a favorite of mine and this panel made a darling finish!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great ABC quilt!!! and right? Wear those kids out haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Somehow I'm always wearing myself out, and they're still going like the energizer bunny!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!