Saturday, June 3, 2023

Am I Blue?

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Am I blue?  No, I'm happy, cause I'm making light blue Happy Blocks!

We're digging into our blue scraps again for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and this time I'm working on using up the light and medium blues.  I always have more blues than any other color, so there are no shortage of squares and strips!

My personal favorite block--this one, of course!  

Coincidentally, these little quilts also have light blue in them!  They were pieced by two nice ladies in my quilt group for a project we called March to May for Mothers Day.  We donated 31 finished quilts to Project Linus after our May meeting.  (There are only around 45 members in the guild!)  Several more tops were donated, and I volunteered to quilt two of them.  I knew I had backing and binding in the Endless Stash that would work.  

As you can see, the quilting I did is very simple, just serpentine stitch on the diagonal making an X in each square.  The batting is more of the soft poly from those gigantic rolls, split in half.  Aren't these fun prints?  Lots of classic florals.

Backing and binding are classic prints too.

This guy thinks he should pose whenever I lay a quilt down.  (I really just snapped this photo to distract him from playing with the computer cord.)

The second quilt is this sweet flannel one, in soft baby colors.

Adorable sheep print!

Of course I had lots of flannel to back and bind it!  And again the quilting is very simple, just serpentine stitch on the seams.

More to be happy about and to celebrate this week!  Our eldest grandson formally graduates from high school tomorrow.  It's hard to believe that little baby boy is nearly 18 years old.  We are so proud of him.

Check out the sign at Buddy's elementary school:  Parents-- Tag, you're it!  Yesterday was his last day.  He was not joyful about it, though.  He has loved his class this year, and doesn't want to go on to the next grade.  I think he'll change his mind when school starts again.

My little guys posed behind the sign.  Little Guy was also sad about his "school" ending.  He has been going to speech class twice a week, and now he won't see Miss Jenny til fall.  God bless all the wonderful caring teachers (including my eldest daughter!).

Can you believe the size of the strawberry Little Guy is holding up?  It's real!  I bought a pound of strawberries in the grocery store, and there were only 8 berries in the package--all of them were huge! They were shipped here from California.  Sadly, these were not very flavorful.  For now, they're okay, but I'm looking forward to local berries later this month.  Some will be very local, from our own little patch.

I hope you find many things to be happy about this week.  Including quilting!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 








10 comments:

  1. I never understood why they work so hard to make big strawberries. The smaller they are, the sweeter they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! The big ones are just marginally better than no strawberries at all.

      Delete
  2. That is a fun little print with the sewing machine, Sylvia! I love the sweet patchwork quilt you finished up, too. It sounds like your guild is a very giving bunch! Congratulations to your graduating grandson, and happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I got the sewing print in a scrap bag at a quilt show. I am very proud of the work my guild does for charity! Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  3. Happy blocks in blue, lovely. The strippy flannel quilt looks nice and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I really like that little flannel quilt. I might make one like it from my flannel pieces.

      Delete
  4. the blues are definitely happy blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your favorite block was also my favorite block! Your blue blocks will make someone happy! Great finishes on those tops too! Yes, bless the teachers who make school interesting and learning fun.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I worked with so many caring hard-working teachers when I was a school librarian.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!