Saturday, June 10, 2023

Amanda Gone Wild

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

 It's full-on summer here in Wisconsin, and we are loving it.  School is out for the kids, the gardens are growing, and we spend lots of time outside.

In the evening when the kids have gone home, you'll find me up in the sewing room with the windows open.  Yesterday I finished a little quilt.  The pattern is from Me and My Sister designs, and is named Amanda.  The Amanda in the pattern looks like this:

It's neat, colorful and attractive.

Here's my version.  I'm afraid mine looks like an explosion in a confetti factory.

I didn't use any light fabrics.  My only rule was "no two pieces of the exact same print in a block".  The centers are all different, mostly novelty fabrics. All of the rectangles came from the 1.5 in. scraps.

The back doesn't do anything to calm it down.
 

The quilting is just a simple 2.5 in. grid over the blocks, plus two lines in the borders.

The border fabric is a little calmer, just little animals and balloons on a light blue.

Looking at it now, I'm rethinking some of my color choices.  Amanda has kind of gone wild!  Then I remembered why I started making bright quilts.  It was all because of kids in need and a program called Quilts for Kids

Just about every quilter knows about Quilts for Kids.  This organization fueled by volunteers delivers donated quilts to kids in hospitals.  Anyone who has ever been to a hospital knows how cold and colorless they can be.  I've been donating quilts to Quilts for Kids for more than 10 years.  I might have gone overboard on Amanda, but I'm sure she'll find a loving home. 

Light blue scraps are coming together into these big bricks blocks, one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.

Fun in the sun, and Thomas the Tank Engine's friends.

Blimey!  Here there be pirate fabric!
 

I felt like a pirate yesterday, when I brought home this loot from a garage sale!  Yards and yards of bright fabric, plus fabric markers and dish cloth yarn.  Arr!

I'm not much for flower gardening, but these roses just keep going no matter how I goof up!

Have a lovely week!  I hope you have time for the things you love to do!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
 









16 comments:

  1. Boy did you score at the garage sale. I detected many of your fabrics suit your style of fanciful fabric for children. Nothing is too bright to appeal to a child. Any kid receiving one of your donations with a great time playing I Spy or making up stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwynedd! The sale had lots of bug prints. Should be fun figuring out what to do with them!

      Delete
  2. Amanda is a very fun quilt, Sylvia - it's going to be very loved! You have the best prints for kids quilts. I really like the big bricks blocks, too. What are the dimensions of your strips? That's a beautiful rose - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The centers are 3.5 in. X 6.5 in. And the white strips are 2 x 6.5. These are all cut measurements. The blocks are 6 in. finished.

      Delete
  3. how fun are all those fabrics! I love that
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeeAnna! All these bright, fun fabrics are very good for my mental health!

      Delete
  4. Bright and happy quilts are just the thing for kids in hospital. Didn't you do well with your haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I was so lucky to find such cute stuff!

      Delete
  5. Honestly, it looks like a fab, fun I-spy quilt for a child to dream over! Love the loot, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Maybe it'll be a fun distraction for a child and their family. I had lots of fun making it!

      Delete
  6. I don't care if Amanda went wild or not, she is so much FUN! Of course, a child will love it. What's not to love? It has a little I Spy vibe to it. Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! She's busy, but she's definitely fun!

      Delete
  7. I think your amanda is happy and colorful - just right for children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! Sometimes I lose the thread a bit, and start thinking about what grownups will think instead of what kids will like!

      Delete
  8. Your Amanda is awesome! What great garage sale"ing" you did!! My friend Martha made many quilts for "Quilts for Kids." it is a great organization.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TerryK! Quilts for Kids has done so much good, going strong over 22 years! I'm happy to contribute. Plus I get to keep making quilts with all these fun fabrics!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!