Saturday, August 18, 2018

Crossing the Finished Line

Finally, FINALLY, I have finishes to show!  According to my notes, I have not finished a quilt since June.  It feels good to accomplish something at last.
This little quilt came to me as squares cut from striped fabric, in a zip lock bag from the sale at the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts in June.  The border was in the bag too.  I set it like a rail fence.  (You can read about the piecing HERE if you care to.)Mrs. Pfaff is back in working order, and together we got the simple quilting done.
The back is from my stash, and says "baby girl" with drawings of toys and bunnies.  The binding came from the sale, too, but wasn't in the same bag.
The quilt will go to a baby girl that needs it.
Guess what these are.  Mittens for cats?  Drumstick warmers?
Skillet handle pot holders!  A friend of my daughter is getting married, and requested these.  I made them up with scraps of bright prints and 100% cotton batting.  I used the Youtube tutorial HERE to get on the right track, although there are lots of other directions and all seem to be about the same.  Now I need to make some for me.

At last, the Ohio Star is quilted and bound, and on the bed.  I had a problem with it that I'll tell you about sometime.
Here's what I decided on for the border quilting.  It's a simple 4 strand cable, with gentle curves.  As you can see, I put the binding on by machine.  I'm saving my hand stitching for other projects.

Last but not least, orange!  I'm making blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in the color for August.
Mary Ann's basket blocks in orange reproduction fabrics are on the design wall.  I actually made 10 of them this time.
Orange is not such a common color in repro fabrics.  I dragged in everything I could find, including cheddar and brown.
Stripes are fun in repros, especially when they go all different ways.
We are getting close to the end of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2018!  I'm actually starting to plan how to put all these blocks together.

And now for something completely different.
My oldest grandson got new shoes.  These are something to do with Lebron James.  If you look closely, you can see--these shoes are quilted!  No joke, the upper is a knit fabric quilted with a sort of diagonal crosshatch.  The fabric is intentionally tucked irregularly and sewn.
I think these are just about the ugliest shoes I've ever seen, but don't tell my Big Buddy.  He thinks they're amazing.
Have an amazing week, everybody, whether things get finished or not.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
 Linking up with
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
So Scrappy
Oh Scrap











10 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying a peek at all of your projects, and especially love those baskets. I would love to incorporate some "cheddar" into a quilt project somewhere, but can't ever really decide what color it is when it comes to buying fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin! Cheddar is oddly wonderful, but definitely odd.

      Delete
  2. Scrappy skillet handle holders? AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Ohio Star looks so nice on the bed! And congrats on the sweet little girl baby quilt. The shoes are fugly, but I like the idea of quilted shoes becoming a trend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Quilted slippers are comfy, I guess quilted shoes could be too. My grandson says these weird shoes are very comfortable.

      Delete
  4. I adore those little basket blocks. I am putting them on my list. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I can't wait to start setting them together.

      Delete
  5. So many projects! Loving the Ohio Star quilt. You did such a great job with it. Every seam matches perfectly! And those baskets are too cute.
    I've been keeping up with RSC projects from several bloggers and can't wait to see the finished quilts.
    Lol about the shoes. Sometimes it's hard to believe how ugly they can be these days. Gotta admit though, they save face with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Seriously, every seam isn't perfect, I just don't take closeups of the "problem areas". I did cut the pieces for this quilt with the Accuquilt cutter, which helped.
      I just got some ugly shoes, too (not as bad as my grandson's!) and they were great for walking around on vacation.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!