Friday, September 6, 2019

In Praise of Purple

It's purple month!  The color for September for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is purple.
What an amazing color!  It's an exciting range from pale lavender to deep dark grape.
What kinds of things besides flowers are purple?  We found a purple cow at the Linden Sculpture Garden in Mequon, Wisconsin.  (Little Buddy is not really feeding it.)
Sometimes green beans aren't green at all.   I am amazed at all the beautiful colors of the vegetables at the farmers market.
These are my purple quilt blocks this week, two spiky stars.
I make these stars with reproduction fabrics, and I really didn't have very many purple scraps.  So I used whatever I had, and only made two blocks.
The center of this block is the very last scrap of this purple stripe.  It doesn't exactly match the spiky points, but I don't care, I just like it.  When it's done, I'll run my hands over it and remember where it came from.
As you can probably tell, these blocks are not just pieced, they are quilted.  All along, I have been making blocks in the RSC color of the month and quilting them.  Soon I'll be ready to start putting them together with sashings and cornerstones and borders.
I absolutely LOVE quilting by the block.  It is so fast!  It only took half an hour to do both of these.
This is what the back looks like.  As you can see, the quilting is very simple.  I do it in one continuous line, without breaking the thread.
I cut my pieces of batting and backing a little differently than most people (I'm just like that.)
The blocks are 12.5 in. unfinished.  I cut the batting squares 12 in., so there is no batting in the seam.  This makes the seam lie flatter.  Then I cut the backing squares to 13.5 in.  It gives me a little more fabric to work with when I do the hand stitching after the sashings are added.
Soon the weather will turn, here in Wisconsin.  The flowers will be gone again, only to reappear in spring.
In the meantime, we'll enjoy the color in our quilts.

I'm wishing colorful fabrics and quilts for you this week, either making or appreciating.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Alycia Quilts
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








16 comments:

  1. Thanks for your good idea and instructions for the quilt as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your star blocks are beautiful! I've never seen purple beans before. Your purple clematis is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! I should have said, all the flower photos except the first one were taken at the Linden Sculpture Garden.

      Delete
  3. you had me at Purple Cow!! LOVE it!! your blocks are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you see me waving as we cruise down the Wisconsin coast of Lake Michigan? I hope I get to see some of those gorgeous purple flowers. Are those clematis? I'm looking forward to seeing how you put together your QAYG blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I'm waving from several miles inland. Hope you're having a lovely trip.

      Delete
  5. Love purple!I'm also from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, marebear! I was transplanted here 28 years ago. It's a wonderful place.

      Delete
  6. I love your method of quilting each block! I'll look forward to seeing how the quilt in all its parts comes together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I can hardly wait to start putting the spiky stars together.

      Delete
  7. Nice job on your PURPLE Spiky Stars, Sylvia! Thanks for sharing the lovely garden photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I can't take credit for growing the flowers. Two of the photos are at the sculpture garden, and one is of wildflowers my hubby plants every year.

      Delete
  8. Your purple stars look amazing. I have never tried the QAYG method - maybe one of these days I will. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! Quilt as you go is one of my favorite methods. It lets me finish quilts on my domestic machine.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!