Saturday, September 14, 2019

Fun, Fabric, and Friendship

It has been so much fun making these sawtooth square blocks, as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2019.
In addition to the crumb scraps that make the centers, I got to use some way cute fabrics for the saw points.  Like these bats and moons.
I really love this background fabric!  Sadly, I only had a small piece of it that I bought secondhand.
This cheeky little blue dog is peeking out of the center.
As I said, I really enjoyed making these blocks.  I'm almost sorry they're all done.
Twenty-five blocks seem like just enough for this quilt.   I made 3 blocks each of orange, yellow, aqua, light blue, dark blue, green, and purple, plus 4 red blocks (I had lots of tiny red scraps.)  It will be donated to a child when it's done.  I left out pink for two reasons--I don't have very many scraps of pink, plus using pink narrows down the recipients for the quilt.  Most kids, boys and girls, like bright colors, but boys seldom want quilts with pink.  Every so often, I make a mostly-pink quilt, just for the girls.
Now I have to decide what to use for sashing and cornerstones, and a border, so I can get this one finished up.

Don't worry, I have lots of fabric on hand to pick from!
Here's a stack I bought last Saturday at The Great Wisconsin Quilt Show (aka Quilt Expo).  Can you see the purple fabric on top?  It's the only 1800s repro fabric in the pile.  The rest are light prints, bright prints and novelties.  These were all pre-measured, and priced at $5.99 per yard. (Woot!)
Here's more purple fun from the quilt show!  I bought this scrap bag from Primitive Gatherings, a wonderful quilt shop in Menasha, Wisconsin.  (I am a sucker for quilt shop scrap bags!)  I think I see a string quilt in my future.
More loot!  This is a transfer, printed on linen.  Look--the Eiffel Tower!  It had to come home with me.  It's a souvenir from Paris via Wisconsin.
And of course, I love this one even more.  What's better than antique sewing machines?  I'm picturing a wall hanging to showcase these linen pieces.
The linen transfers came from L'Atelier D'Isabelle.  I don't have any other information, sadly.
As much as I love looking at amazing quilts and shopping for fabric, I probably wouldn't have gone to the show if it hadn't been for my friend Debbie, who lives in Madison.  We wore ourselves out, and had a wonderful time.
Everything is better with a friend.

This week, I'm wishing the joy of friendship for all of us.
As the Girl Scouts say, Make new friends, but keep the old.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Alycia Quilts Finished or Not Friday
(Check out her churn dash quilts!
Cynthia at Oh Scrap













16 comments:

  1. Your sawtooth squares are so bright and pretty! What a great quilt they're going to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so great - and all the scrappy goodness in the middle is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sawtooth squares. They have the advantage of doing crumb blocks and also using your color. It will make a great donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know it's a great pattern when you're sorry that the blocks are finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have one bright and happy quilt in the works. Perfect for giving. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I love seeing what you are doing with your orphan blocks and pieces.

      Delete
  6. I have been trying to decide on another way to use some crumb blocks. Thanks for the inspiration. My crumb blocks are mixed colors but I think I can make them work in Sawtooth Squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Cathy! I think crumb blocks work well in any block with a large center, like stars or these sawtooth squares.

      Delete
  7. Oh Sylvia, I do like those beautiful blocks. You've given me an idea, but it will be a days before I can test it out. Umph on the waiting but but it can't be helped.
    And your loot from the show is awesome. I'm happy for you that you were able to have such fun with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I love what you did with the pattern from No Scrap Left Behind. I've been thinking about that pattern for a long time. The basket inspiration post is awesome, too!

      Delete
  8. Those blocks are so cute and I adore your backgrounds. They are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! I can't resist cute fabrics (well, who can?)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!