Saturday, September 28, 2019

In the Middle


I'm happily sewing again this week, working on a Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt from 2018.
Do you see one of my purple blocks from last year?  These were really fun to make.  The blocks are set so that a large plain space occurs where four blocks come together.  I knew I wanted a stencil quilted into that spot.
As a rule, I quilt my own quilts on my Pfaff Select machine (yes, electric, even though the quilts are pieced on a treadle).  In order to quilt something this large, I pieced it in two sections.  This made it possible to quilt the stencil design without screaming my head off.  (We wouldn't want to alarm the neighbors.)
I've always loved the graceful shapes of leaves, so I chose my stencil for this kind of look.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to use a stencil with Golden Threads paper.
You need the stencil, a PERMANENT INK pen, and the paper.  (Do not use anything but permanent ink.  Otherwise, the marks will transfer to the quilt, which defeats the purpose of using the paper.)
Trace the stencil onto the paper.  Note here, the paper comes in several sizes.  I find the 12 in. size the most useful and least wasteful.
Place the stencil on the quilt, and pin.  I use safety pins so I won't be constantly stabbing myself with straight pins.  (Just respecting the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.)  You can see through the paper, which helps in positioning the stencil.
The next step is quilting through the paper.  It really helps to trace the lines with your fingertip before starting, so you can plan where to start and stop.  This design is continuous, at least for the larger leaves, but I quilted each set of smaller leaves separately.
Lastly, tear off the paper.  The quilting will be done, and there will be no marking lines on the quilt.
I used a thread that matches the area to be quilted.  At a distance, the shapes stand out (but not the thread).
In the half blocks at the sides of the quilt, I quilted half the motif.
Two corners ended up like this.  I used one section of the stencil to quilt them.

It's taken quite a while to get this far, but each of the two sections is now quilted, and I have joined the sections, by machine on the top and by hand on the back.

Now what?  I have to quilt the middle!  This will be harder, as I will have the whole bulk of the quilt to maneuver.  If it's too tough, I might hand quilt the stencil motifs.

In other news, we went to a book sale at the West Bend library on Thursday.
Little Buddy didn't want to leave!
Under our feet was this colorful rug.  Isn't it great?  I wish I had fabric like this!

Have a wonderful week!  Can you believe October starts on Tuesday?
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Alycia Quilts:  Finished or Not Friday
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 













19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Both the design and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the quilting!! The Rainbow blocks are so pretty! I can see why little buddy didn't want to leave - that looks like too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alycia! It's a great library--I didn't want to leave either!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that is a pretty quilt! I think the quilting design you chose for it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty indeed! The quilting is the perfect design for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt. I think I might have just found a new RSC project for next year. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilting tips with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I look forward to Oh Scrap every Sunday morning. Your quilts are amazing, and so many talented quilters share their work with you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing how you use this type of stencil! That was completely new info for me. I had no idea that you would sew THROUGH the paper! Interesting. The leaf design is really lovely in all those open areas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I have tried so many different ways to mark a quilt. Right now I've landed on this one. So far, so good.

      Delete
  7. It's perfectly fine by me if you use treadle power to piece the quilt and then electric to quilt it. Done is done and that's what counts in my book! Great job, it's a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! You're right, done is done, however it gets done.

      Delete
  8. It is a beautiful quilt and looks cuddly - the best of both worlds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever quilting idea. Must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KaHolly! Maybe someday I'll feel confident enough about my free motion quilting to actually finish quilts, but til then this works for me.

      Delete
  10. I like Golden Threads paper and have used it just the way you suggest here. It works really well. It's helpful to trace the design because that helps to build muscle memory. So double the use. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!