Saturday, September 21, 2019

What Do You Do When You Can't Sew?

Most weeks, I spend my free time sewing.  Not this week.  This week, I had other commitments.  The sewing machines barely got warmed up.  The spirit was willing, but the time was just not there.

What do you do when this happens to you?

I just tried to make the best of it.
Most of my time is spent babysitting my Little Buddy, the most adorable 3 year old in the world.  There are many fun things we can do together, like taking pictures of Canadian geese in the park.

We've also been picking green beans and tomatoes in our little garden.  We missed a few beans, that will now only be good for seed for next year, but we've had quite a few for dinner.
I've found a little time to put up some of the fall quilts in the dining room.
I made this one in 1988, after we took a family trip out west. 
Our youngest daughter, who was 4 years old then,  loved the little Native American-made dolls sold in the souvenir shops.  The alternate block replicates a design on a book about Native American textiles that I bought on that trip.  The colors are right for fall decorating.
These little quilts are for Jack's Basket.  There are 13 of them!  The ladies in our quilt group made them (I made one a few weeks ago).  I'm getting ready to mail them out this week.  They are all different, and all amazing.  Little Buddy helped me lay them out and take pictures.
I'm often too tired to sew in the evenings after supper, but I can definitely sit and knit.  I'm making a baby sweater as a shower gift for a friend of my daughter's.
Now here we are, finally at the weekend.  I will have time to sew now, and here's what I'm going to work on first--putting the binding on this donation quilt.
I made this top awhile back, (for details click HERE) and handed it in to the wonderful ladies on the charity committee to be quilted.  Didn't they do a nice job?  Now it's back to me, to be bound.  What do you think of the fabric I've chosen?  In person, it's sort of purple.  It goes okay with the top...
and the back!  Check out these fabulous pink pigs!  And they're flannel!

I'm glad these no-sewing weeks don't come along very often, but when they do, I know eventually I'll have time again to work on my favorite hobby.

This week, I'm hoping you'll have time to do what you really love to do.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Finished or Not Friday
Angela at Soscrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 













14 comments:

  1. Some weeks are just like that, aren't they?! Looks like you made the best of it! That is a lovely pile of quilts for Jack's Basket, and the one you're sewing the binding on is fun, too. I think you have the best ideas for donation quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I love making donation quilts for kids. The pattern for this one was in American Patchwork and Quilting in June of 2017.

      Delete
  2. Super cute donation quilt, Sylvia!! Wonderful contribution to Jack's Basket, too. Which reminds me... I need to mail mine off this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I'm so glad we all can help such a worthwhile charity.

      Delete
  3. Glad you finally had time to quilt! LOVE the little pink piggies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am just like a little kid when it comes to these cute fabrics.

      Delete
  4. Oh, those piggies are just the cutest! Great little quilt, Sylvia. And I love seeing the big pile made by your group. Your dear GS did a good job making that neat stack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I must admit, Little Buddy did more supervising than folding (did you guess?)! I am so lucky to belong to such a giving quilt group.

      Delete
  5. I hope this week finds you with more time to sew. Your donation quilts are all happy and colorful. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm looking forward to fewer commitments and more sewing this week!

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about not having time to sew. It feels weird when I can't make a little time for my hobby, like the day just wasn't right. However, it makes perfect sense to give it up for a bit to play with the grandson. Would love to know the pattern you're using for the baby sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie H! Sorry to take so long answering your comment. The pattern I'm using is at this address:
      http://www.bonniebabies.co.uk/paulenes seamless cardi.htm
      It was written by Paulene Sibley. Note, there is no gauge measurement. I didn't follow it exactly when it came to number of rows.

      Delete
  7. Your donation quilt is so cute! And those pigs...too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! We raised pigs when I was a teenager. These pigs are WAY cuter than the real thing!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!