Saturday, February 1, 2020

Dear Diary

Welcome to Treadlestitches, and to a new month!  I can't believe January is already over.
I stopped keeping a diary in junior high because it was the surest way to be ridiculed endlessly by my brothers and sisters, who always managed to find it and read it out loud. (AAK!)  Now, I really have no embarrassing secrets, and my only crush is my Dear Hubby, so diaries are okay again.  I'm making this one out of fabric.
Above are my diary quilt blocks for January.  Each separate block represents a week (mostly), and each strip is a day.  For each day, I choose something to represent that day.
I won't bore you with everything that happened all month long.  I will say that most Sundays are yellow, partly because it's sun-day (Dad joke), and partly because that's the day I talk to my mom on the phone for at least an hour, which is a bright spot in the week.  If I finish a quilt, I include a piece of it for that day (like the dark blue in the center of the block above).  I'm also using lots of my books/library fabrics for Tuesdays, when my Little Buddy and I go to the library.

As I say, each small block is meant to represent a week, with 7 strips, one for each day.  I intended 4 small blocks for each month. The biggest question about this was what to do when the month has more than 28 days.  In that case, I split the last strips into two days each.  Above, the last 3 strips are made up of 2 rectangles, for Sunday/Monday, Tuesday/Wednesday, and Thursday/Friday.

I still have no idea how I'm going to set the blocks.

You might have noticed all the children's prints and novelty fabrics in my diary quilt.  That's because I get to spend my days with this guy, my Little Buddy, seen here helping make his favorite blueberry pancakes.
We make snowman faces in them sometimes.
He also "helped" me pack up some quilts our local group is donating to Jack's Basket.  Here he is pointing out polar bears in the print on this cute quilt.  Bella the dog is nearby, in case we need to have our faces licked.  (Yuck!)  Thank goodness they're going to wash the quilts before sending them out to the babies.
These are the quilts I was packing up.  Aren't they amazing?  There are 12 of them in this batch.  That brings us up to a grand total of 34 quilts sent to Jack's Basket since last summer from our small group of around 50 active members.  I go into more detail on our group's blog, if you're interested click HERE.

Quilting is happening!  Zigzag #1 is about half done.  Mrs. Pfaff will be whirring away later today.
Orange is the new color for February for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I couldn't be happier.  The pile of 1930s repros and vintage prints above will eventually be house blocks.
For some reason, I've been in the mood to cut scraps this week.
This little stack (really orange, not yellow, bad lighting) is six blocks worth of Text Me A Quilt.
The shoofly blocks are cut too, ready to sew.
And I finally decided on a layout for the Roscoe Star blocks, so the last blocks are cut to sew as leaders and enders.
You could say I've got my work cut out for me.
(I can just about hear my Dad saying that.  Gotta love Dad jokes.)
Have a wonderful week, and a great start to February.  If it includes sewing, so much the better!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap










23 comments:

  1. Oh now I love the idea of a diary quilt--what fun!!;)) such cute blocks...you have a nice selection of oranges there to work with this month...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I love orange, but I had to scramble to find enough. It's going on my shopping list.

      Delete
  2. That is a wonderful idea for a memory keeping quilt. I look forward to seeing your days in living color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I love how you said that--my days in living color!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, making diary days quilt. This will be wonderful, bright and cheery, and full of memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I think scraps and memories make the best sort of quilts.

      Delete
  4. Your diary quilt blocks are going to make a great quilt! It will be gun to look back at the different combinations of fabric - they'll remind you of a lot of things from the year, I bet! Your Jack's Basket collection is inspiring, too. I made one for them last year and plan to again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... *fun* to look back. I am always hitting the wrong key and then don't notice until it is published!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Diann! I hope I can remember what each piece stands for!

      Delete
  5. Your diary quilt will make a great quilt and you have a nice pile of oranges there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - you have so much goodness going on here! Congrats on so many quilts for Jacks Basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Our group is a very charity-minded group, which is one of the main reasons I joined. They're also just a fun group of ladies.

      Delete
  7. I too love to keep a diary. I don't write every day but at least 5 times a week. This year, my diary is not strictly quilts. I let out a lot of frustration from work in it too. haha! Love your daily quilt. Such a great idea and scrap buster. It will also be a fun I Spy quilt.
    So many quilts for Jack's Basket. Bravo to all of you for being so generous. Wow! Roscoe Star is a stunner. Looking forward to see more of this one. Enjoy the orange! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I'm sorry you have frustrations from work, but I can definitely relate to that. Retirement is terrific, hang in there! And keep making your amazing quilts!

      Delete
  8. I LoVe the "diary" idea... good luck with that project.
    And Roscoe Star will be an amazing quilt I'm sure...xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryll! I'm making a real mess every week, looking through scraps for just the right diary strips.

      Delete
  9. Your Dad jokes are about like my Dad's jokes. At almost 90 he still likes a good pun and I try to send him one now and then in a card.

    I made a circle a day kind of diary quilt several years ago and it still needs to be quilted. It will be fun to review it if I ever do get around to hand quilting it.

    Love that Roscoe Star and wish I still had little ones to play with again. The grandkids grew up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! Congrats on having a great dad. I wish mine was still with us, but I have lots of wonderful memories.

      Delete
  10. Lots of progress. Nicely done, Sylvia! You've got some really wonderful projects in the works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! There's always a lot going on here, in fact, it borders on chaos most of the time.

      Delete
  11. Very fun projects in the works. Hope you can work in lots of stitching time this weekend and more blueberry pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!