Saturday, February 8, 2020

Ups and Downs and Zigzags

It's almost a miracle!  Zigzag quilt #1 got finished this week.
This is one of last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  (Click HERE for more details on my zigzag quilts.)  It's not a very big quilt, just 64 in. x 78 in., and it was half quilted last Saturday, so why would it be a miracle to finish it this week?  One word--flu.
My little buddy got it last week, and after a doctor visit and Tamiflu, he bounced right back.  On Tuesday, it was my turn.  (Why didn't I get a flu shot?  From now on, I will.)
This was me, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  I admit to feeling sorry for myself some of the time, but I had lots of comforts--hot tea, warm quilts, and a sweet dog.  Oh, and word games on my phone.  (Photo credits--Little Buddy took this picture.)
Hubby helped take care of Little Buddy, who was feeling fine.  They built a huge train and car layout in Hubby's office/den.
Monday, before I got really sick, I had finished the quilting on Zigzag #1.  By Friday, I was finally feeling human again (hurray!), so after Little Buddy went home I made a rainbow binding and stitched it on.  I don't think I've ever made a rainbow binding before.  Although I have often made scrappy bindings, they are usually in just one color. 
The quilting is simple, just up and down the zigzags with the built-in walking foot.
With that done, I could work on my blocks for this year's RSC quilts.  Reproduction orange fabric, which I'm using for these shoofly blocks, looks sort of like the burnt orange crayon color we used to have in grade school.  I always wondered why anybody would want to burn an orange.
It's been snowing lightly this morning, just when the snow cover had been finally melting.  We're not supposed to get a big storm, but I want to get out and get my errands done.  I need valentines for the grandchildren as well as groceries.  After that, I'm going to take it slow, and do a little sewing.

Stay well, if you can, and take care of yourself.  Have a lovely weekend.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap









32 comments:

  1. Love the Zig Zag quilt. I've never made a rainbow binding. You've inspired me to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, KatieQ! It was fun to make, I just had to not worry about where each color fell.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear you were down with the flu this week, but glad you're better already! Zigzag #1 is wonderful, Sylvia! I've been wanting to make some of those for RSC blocks because yours are so inspiring. Little Buddy's train set-up looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! One zigzag quilt down, one to go. I think my DH loves the train set up at least as much as Little Buddy does.

      Delete
  3. Just a lovely zig zag quilt!! And I like your shoo fly blocks for this year
    ;)) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you are feeling better, it's no fun getting the flu. What a clever little boy to take your photo! Love the zig zag quilts, simple design but so effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! He got a good picture that time, but the next few were of the carpet, the wall, and the dog's butt. (That last one may have been on purpose!)

      Delete
  5. Love the zigzag finish! Glad you are on the mend from the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! I'm so lucky to be getting better right away. Next year, flu shot for sure!

      Delete
  6. I love the zigzag quilts well done! Glad you are feeling better.....and thanks for the reminder about valentines for the grands and great grands! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I got some good ones today, with cats, dogs, dinosaurs, and even singing chickens (that one's for my mom!)

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry that you had the flu! Sounds like you are feeling better now though. I once tried to make orange peel candy, and burnt oranges are not tasty at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts, I'm definitely better now. Sorry about your "adventure" with burnt oranges. I have scorched marmalade a time or two, what a mess!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you had the flu...yuck-o! Glad to hear you're bouncing back and finishing quilts, though. Rainbow Zig Zag looks so cheerful and happy! Great finish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I felt quite sorry for myself, being sick, but I'm sure many people had it worse than I did. It's great to be on the mend.

      Delete
  9. Love love love your background fabrics!! WHAT A GREAT collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! I find them everywhere, mostly remnants and second hand. Some of them were scraps from backings--I make a lot of light backs for children's quilts.

      Delete
  10. Happy to hear you have bounced back. Your zig zag quilt turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! Being sick makes me appreciate days when I feel well. I'm trying not to take health for granted.

      Delete
  11. Lovely zig zag quilt! And the rainbow binding is the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your finish and finally feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Everything is so much better when you don't feel sick!

      Delete
  13. Love the Rainbow Zig Zag! Congrats on the happy scrappy finish. I made one a few years ago and donated it. I might have to make another!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never count on a flu shot to keep me from getting the flu. In fact have not had one of those shots for over a decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flu shot is definitely not perfect, but I'm getting to an age where I'll take any help I can get!

      Delete
  15. Love the Zig Zag quilt! What a grand finish and the rainbow binding is so fitting! Hope you're up and about by now. Love the picture of your dog ... could be my dog's relative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! Dogs always seem to know when you're not feeling well. Or maybe they just want somebody to cuddle with!

      Delete
  16. Lovely zigazag quilt, you have a lot of very pretty white background fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Frederique! I collect them, and use a lot of them for quilt backs.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!