Saturday, June 13, 2020

Housing Developments


Welcome to Treadlestitches!  I got a little carried away making house blocks this week.  It's almost a village.  In this photo, it kind of looks like they're built on a hill.  Or having an earthquake.
This one is Bambi's house.  There's a dear little deer in the pink print.
Here's a flower house, with Bo Peep and her sheep in the windows.
I call this one the toy house, because the items in the pink print look like toys (or maybe cartoons?).  There are birds on the roof and cats on the door.
The cats just cannot be denied!  This house is made of a dog print, but there are cats in the windows and the background.

This house quilt is one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts, and the color of the month for June is pink.  Usually, I made 3 of these houses per month.  But, I didn't made dark green houses last month, because I ran out of decent greens, so I need to make some extras to stay on track with the math.  And you know how careful I have always (never) been about math.  I had enough scraps to make 4 pink blocks, plus...
A blue bear block, and ...
a blue floral house, with a pink bunny roof.  I used pink in each of these blocks, just for fun.
So, after 6 months of the RSC, this project has 18 blocks.  Which is exactly what it was supposed to have.  I think.
The houses are new construction.
 This is a remodeling project.


Years ago, I bought this unfinished quilt at a flea market.  It was in two main pieces, with two unconnected rows.  I loved the colors, and the way the quilt maker arranged them in a kind of rainbow.  I naively thought I could just sew the pieces together and finish the top.
Sometimes, there is a very good reason a quilt was never finished.  I believe this quilt maker ran out of the aqua color in the sashings, right when she needed three long strips of it in the middle.  I feel her pain.  The top was so close to being ready to quilt.  It would have needed setting triangles around the edge, but they could have been a different color.
After lots of thinking, and looking at quilts online, and drinking a couple of gallons of iced tea, this is what I decided to do with it.  I had no hope of matching the sashing with new fabric. So  I'm rippling out the sashing, and setting the little blocks into double nine patches.
That fabric on top is a real hoot.  It looks like kids' drawings from kindergarten.
Check out the back of the blocks.  The machine-sewn seams are pressed open.  The blocks measure 4.5 in. unfinished.  As you can see, I'm working with the pink blocks this month in honor of the RSC.

The prints in these blocks date from the 1930s through the 1950s.  One of the things that drew me to this project was the variety of fun prints, like the one above.  I'm afraid that little sunbonnet girl is trying to herd those cats.  (I have had similar experiences.  I don't recommend it.)
More cats!  These three blocks are all cut from the same fabric, which might be a Puss in Boots print.  Poor kitty is terribly cut up. 
Like lots of remodeling projects, this is going to take a while, and make a big mess.  This is the "little half" of the top.  The other half is just like this, plus rows of yellow, purple, red and blue.  As I free the blocks from the sashing, I'll be making them into Double Nine Patch blocks, so I can alternate ripping and sewing.  It will be a lot of work, but I like a challenge.

We definitely live in challenging times!  I'm wishing strength and hope for all of us, as we forge ahead this year.  As always, I take comfort in music.
To quote Paul McCartney:
        And when the broken-hearted people living in the world agree,
        There will be an answer, Let it be.
        For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see,
        There will be an answer.  Let it be.
(My littlest grand-buddies hanging out together.)

Stay well!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap






24 comments:

  1. Very nice two story houses, Sylvia. LOVE your re-furbishing project. It will be a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! The seam ripper is really getting a work out.

      Delete
  2. Fun to see your house construction and also the deconstruction project! I love all the personality you're putting into those houses. A favorite quote from Paul McCartney, and some Buddy goodness, too - I always enjoy your posts, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diann! I watch for your posts every week. And you often(always?) do two!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty PINK village, Sylvia! Kudos on tackling that "remodeling" project. Thanks for sharing such a sweet photo of Baby Buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! You can tell Baby Buddy really loves his big brothers.

      Delete
  4. That is a challenge to take on! Such fun fabrics and totally worth saving!
    And I love your adorable little house blocks...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Quilter Kathy! I am having so much fun with both these projects.

      Delete
  5. I’m feeling sorry I didn’t start a house block project! I was too sad at the beginning, I guess.
    Wow, that is a big reconstruction commitment. I’m anxious to see how it comes together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! The reconstruction project could take more than a year, easily. I'm okay with that. It can just join all the other quilts on the "back burner". It will have plenty of company!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful village you are creating! Love all the fun prints you are using. The remodeling project is awesome! I too have attempted to herd cats.... never a good idea.... the cats always win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! You're so right--somehow, the cats always win!

      Delete
  7. What cute houses. And I love a challenge too but I don't much like ripping so kudos to you for saving an oldie and goodie. You definitely didn't want to let that be! Double Nine Patches was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I'm not a big fan of ripping, but if I just do a little at a time it's not so bad. I just wish she hadn't back tacked so much!

      Delete
  8. I think you are quite enjoying taking that quilt apart go remodel! A bit at a time and you will get there in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! Yes, a bit at a time always works. I'm not in a hurry.

      Delete
  9. The houses are too cute! And your remodel project is going to be amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I mostly rip when I'm watching TV. It works best when the show is kind of mindless, since I tend to stop if it gets interesting!

      Delete
  10. Your village is very cute, love those details ;) Beautiful remodeling project too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Frederique! I make such a mess looking in my stash for fun fabrics.

      Delete
  11. I love the double nine patch idea! What a great deconstruct/reconstruct quilt project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I loved seeing all the quilts you made for Hands2Help this year. The panels are adorable.

      Delete
  12. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!