Saturday, June 20, 2020

Sailing Away


Welcome to Treadlestitches, my little corner of the world.

This week, we went to the Lake Michigan shore with our oldest daughter and her children for an afternoon.  (Her husband is working from home, and no doubt appreciated the quiet time!)  The weather was perfect, the company was wonderful, and it was so good to actually go somewhere, even if only an hour away.
My daughter's family comes to the shore often, and a favorite activity is looking for beach glass.
We all got into the act, even Grandpa.  It's like a treasure hunt.
The kids (Middle Buddy and Girl Buddy?) swam a little, especially our grandson,  but the water is just too cold for most of us.  We got our feet wet, but that's about all. 
After we got home, a squirrel bit me, and I just had to drop everything and make this little sailboat quilt.
The unpieced blocks in the quilt are made from fabric leftover after the last quilt I finished.  I was cleaning up the scraps when the squirrel attacked.   There were sailboats in the dark blue print.  What if I made sailboat blocks to go with it?
Years ago, I made this tied comforter for my son.  I had come across it recently in the mending pile.  The blocks in the old quilt were 12 in. finished.  For the new quilt, I used the same traditional design, and just made the blocks 6 in. finished.
Want to see why the old quilt was in the mending pile?  The border fabric ripped in the washing machine.  I will have to replace this section.  Since it's a comforter, it will be easier to fix than if it was quilted.  The real problem will be finding the right color fabric.  When the virus is less of a problem, I'll take the quilt with me to the quilt store and just get the closest match I can.
Here's my patented method for choosing fabrics for boats and sails and backgrounds--just dump out the 2 in. strips on the floor and root through them!  Messy quilty fun.
Look what I found in my stash for the back--happy whales and crabs.  The border is a lighthouse print that I had completely forgotten about, and the binding has white anchors on red.  I quilted it with a serpentine stitch done with Mrs. Pfaff's built in walking foot.
This little quilt will go to Jack's Basket.
When I recovered from the squirrel bite, I made 6 more blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This is my Text Me A Quilt project.  I neglected to make dark green blocks last month, because I just didn't have much of any dark green scraps.  I need more blocks, though, so I scrounged up whatever greens I had.
These are some "weird" greens that didn't fit any particular category, muddy green backgrounds with Minecraft and dog prints.
These are a little darker, with ants and the Peanuts characters playing golf.
It's really fun playing with all these prints.
Summer is here in full force, and everything is blooming, even the weeds and wildflowers.   I love this time of year.

In the week ahead, I'm wishing you joy in the little things, and courage to do what we can to help things get better.  Have a great week!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap










14 comments:

  1. What a fun trip to the beach at Lake Michigan for you and the family, Sylvia! I would love searching for beach glass like that. And your beachy squirrel with boats, lighthouses, and even whales is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The kids have a real collection of beach glass, divided by colors in clear bottles. I should have gotten a picture!

      Delete
  2. Your new Sailboat quilt is SEW cute!! That will make a wonderful donation to Jack's Basket, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I love making happy colorful quilts for Jack's Basket, it's such a good cause.

      Delete
  3. Your sailboats quilt is SEW cute! I mailed little girly quilt off th Jack’s Basket this morning for the second time. There was a bit of a snafu! My bad....I forgot one number in the address and oh my the confusion that caused! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I once put the labels in the wrong place on a package, mailed it out, and found it sitting on my porch when I got home. Now I write To: and From: on labels, and place them carefully!

      Delete
  4. A little getaway never hurt anyone, actually probably helps all those on the trip. Like you said, it probably also helped your SIL. Looking for sea glass is a fun task too and good for all ages! Pretty sailboat blocks and I love, love, love that crabby, whale backing you used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! We were very careful on this outing. It might not look like it in the photos, but we were separate from other groups, and we brought our lunch and drinks from home. We all had masks with us, in case we needed them. You're right, getting out (safely!) is good for us!

      Delete
  5. Super cute sailboat quilt! I love that you found so many coordinating nautical fabrics. Your "Text" blocks are looking good, too. I know what you mean about greens being hard to classify. Weird, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful little get-away you all had together! A darling little squirrel showed up too, for a quick finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sailboat quilt is wonderful. I really like the mix of prints. I don't understand. When you get a squirrel bite it ends up in a finished quilt. When I get one, it usually turns into another UFO. Must be different squirrels in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same scrap selection process! You can always find piles of fabric in my sewing room. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Squirrel project is great! and what a fun outing to head to the shores - it probably felt good for everyone to get out and just *be*

    ReplyDelete
  10. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!