Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Golden Oldie

This is the story of a quilt.  It's the oldest UFO (unfinished object) that I have personally made. 

We're going all the way back to the spring of 1988, when I accidentally joined a Friendship quilt group at a large quilt guild.  I say accidentally, because I signed up for a machine piecing group that met in the evening, but due to low turnout it changed to a hand piecing group that met during the day.

If you were quilting back then, you probably remember the raging debate about hand vs. machine piecing and quilting.  (If you weren't, you might think that was insane, and you'd be right!)  Machine quilting was in its infancy, and machine quilted quilts were often not even allowed in quilt shows.  Completely ridiculous, of course, but a very stuffy crowd was in charge in those days. 

My first quilt teacher was Nedra Whittington, whose name appears on the block above.  In her class, we pieced and quilted by hand, so I had the skills needed for the Friendship group.
We met once a month (I think).  The organizer drew our names out of a hat, and assigned us a month when the others would make blocks for us.  When it was our turn, we brought already cut out pieces for our blocks (with the seam lines marked for hand piecing), and handed them out, two sets per person.   The finished blocks were due at the next meeting.

I was just starting to get into quilt history then, and this was my favorite book:  Remember Me:  Women and Their Friendship Quilts, by Linda Otto Lipsett.  Ms. Lipsett collected friendship quilts and researched their makers.
This was my favorite quilt in the book.  It's in the chapter entitled A Piece of Ellen's Quilt.  There are no patterns, but it was easy enough to draft.  The block is called Snowflake in the Ladies Art Company catalogs of the 1890s to the 1920s.  It has lots of other names, too.
I wanted to make a bed sized quilt, and I knew I wouldn't have enough blocks with just the ones from the Friendship exchange.  So I started making more blocks.
Friends not in the group made blocks for me, too!  This one was made by Elaine, a dear friend who shared my love of antique quilts.  Take a look at the print.
Above is a photo of the quilt in the book.  Elaine found a reproduction print of this fabric, and made her block with it!  The colors are different, but the print is the same.

My friend Nancy signed her block with the exact date, and a heart!

I had lots of extra blocks that needed signatures, so I carried them around with me and got other quilters to sign them.  The second red block above was signed by Maxine Young, owner of my favorite quilt shop, the Fabric Shack in Waynesville, Ohio.  (It's still going strong, and has a great online store, fabricshack.com.)

My grandmother signed this block.  It is especially precious to me now that she has passed away.

I love this one, too!  My oldest daughter had been doing some hand piecing and wanted to sign the quilt.  She picked out the colors, and did some of the stitching.  You might be able to see that she included our zip code with her signature.  She was 9 years old then.

So how did I let this become a UFO?  When the blocks were all finished, I hastily sewed them into a top.  It was very badly done, and I knew it, even at the time.  Diagonal sets are not my favorites, and I had used a striped sashing, which emphasized all the flaws.  I said a thing to myself that one should never say--"Oh, it'll quilt out."  No.  No, it won't.  After a few years I admitted to myself that the striped sashing would have to go.
A few months ago, I finally ripped the top apart, and this week I got it back together with different sashing and added a border.
This is more what I wanted when I started this project all those years ago. 
It's not a huge quilt, but it fits nicely on a twin-sized bed.

I'm so happy to have this much done!  All day I've been thinking of a line from Bookends, a Simon and Garfunkel song.
"Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."
Little Buddy and I are yelling for joy around here!

I'm wishing you joy this week, in whatever you do.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy





















32 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt full of good memories! I can tell that quilt is smiling at being finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt, Sylvia! It's really great that you decided to get it out and finish it up. I've just discovered the joy of hand-piecing in the last year or so - I guess I'm moving backwards! But how fun to have a quilt full of hand-pieced blocks that lots of special people made and signed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I still hand piece from time to time. There are blocks that are much easier done by hand. It's a good skill to have. It surprised me how many memories just seeing these names on blocks brings back.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on getting your Golden Oldie (back) into a quilt top, Sylvia. Kudos on braving the seam ripper and happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Ripping is not for the faint of heart, but it's worth it in the end.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, Sylvia -- what an amazing story! CONGRATULATIONS on finishing this UFO, after 32 years! There has got to be an award out there for that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! My memories are my reward. Now I just have to quilt it.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I've been quilting since the 70s so remember those debates. Back then I didn't even know anyone actually bought fabric to make a quilt. I always thought they were made from leftover scraps from making clothes or from old clothes.

    I love the story of your quilt and glad you finally decided to get it out and give it some respect. I really like how it looks on your twin bed. Yes, preserve your memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Looking back, a lot of those controversies seem sort of silly. I am glad that cotton won out over polycotton, though. It was tough to get decent fabric in the 70s.

      Delete
  6. Such a lot of work to unstitch the whole quilt but so worth it in the end. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Do you live in Ohio?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Nancy! I lived in Ohio when I started the quilt, but soon afterward we moved. We have lived in Wisconsin now for nearly 30 years.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful and classic signature quilt. It must be so satisfying to see it finally finished and on the bed! Congrats on a finish that was a long time coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I feel so much better about it, the guilt is gone! I hope to get it quilted by the end of the year.

      Delete
  8. Lovely finish. I have that Lipsett book too and have read it many times. I am north of Dayton and therefore near you! Fabric shack is one of my favorite stores. Wish they were open to in person shopping - no more day trips to Waynesville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, viridian! We moved away from the Dayton area in 1991, sadly, but I have such good memories of shopping at the Fabric Shack and poking around in Waynesville's antique shops.

      Delete
  9. Good things take time! You will so much happier now it is redone, and finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! You're right--good things take time, and I do feel so much better about the "reconstructed" top.

      Delete
  10. I love the story of how this quilt came about. Ripping out is hard to do but sometimes it is so worth the effort, this is one of them obviously because now you are happy with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! Ripping out is hard to do--isn't that a Neil Sedaka song? It is definitely worth it!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on a lovely finish. Great job sticking with it. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm loving your rainbow log cabin blocks.

      Delete
  12. Wow, neat story, fun quilt top!!! That's a great size. I was hand piecing back then, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Machine piecing was harder in those days, what with rotary cutters being brand new and very few rulers for them on the market. Those of us who started back then know how lucky we are now!

      Delete
  13. Way to persevere and get that beautiful quilt finished. And so many memories in it too. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! I was surprised by how many memories came flooding back on seeing these signatures.

      Delete
  14. WOW!!! This is a great quilt - and the story behind it makes it even better. I am so glad you got it back out to finish it!
    I didn't start machine quilting ( well quilting at all) until 2003 and I remember the hand vs machine debate... crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I'm glad we're all more inclusive now. The quilt is more important than just the way it was made!

      Delete
  15. Oh, what joy is filling your house, a quilt is done! One less UFO nagging at you for attention. It is now HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! I do still have to figure out how to quilt it!

      Delete
  16. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!