Saturday, June 6, 2020

Plugging Away


Welcome to Treadlestitches!  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month for June is pink, so I'm starting with my double pink reproduction quilt scraps.

I often complain about not liking pink.  But not when it comes to reproduction prints!  I absolutely LOVE these.
The Shoofly blocks I'm making are very simple, just what I need right now.
I usually make 3 Shoofly blocks per month, but I just couldn't stop with the pink, so there are 4.  The math will work out.  (Probably?)
This one is my favorite.  I don't have favorite children or grandchildren or pets, but I think it's okay if I have favorite quilt blocks.
I'm not worrying about directional prints for this quilt, and if you look at the pink fabric on the corners you can see what I mean.  When quilters long ago made scrap quilts, they mostly didn't worry about fussy cutting all the stripes and directional prints to make them line up.  I'm with them, scraps is scraps, let's just cut them and use them up.
More pink!  This is a salmon-pink nursery print from the 1930s or 40s.  Weirdly, there are only 3 kinds of animals on it--elephants, giraffes, and mountain goats.  (Mountain goats??)  It was part of a child's comforter with matted batting that I bought at a flea market and took apart.


The salmon pink backing is on the reverse of this little quilt.  I blogged about the quilt HERE when I finished the top.
I thought really hard about hand quilting it, I really did.  But I know myself.  If I set it aside to hand quilt, it might wait a long, long time.  Plus I'm starting to have some arthritis in my hands.  So I machine quilted the blocks very simply, did a cable in the border, and bound it.


Now it can hang on the wall, and I can enjoy it.  If I hadn't cleaned out my stuff in the basement, I never would have made this quilt, which saves those embroideries and the little swatches.
As long as I was finishing little quilts, I got this one done, too.  These are the 1930s four patch blocks left over from the bigger quilt, and also a basement project. 
Check out the back!  No, I didn't piece it, it's a cheater print!  This one dates from roughly 1940s-1960s.  It was in my stash of vintage fabric.

Surprisingly, "printed patchwork" was made as early as the 18th Century in Europe.  It was even called "cheater cloth" in a 1910 catalog.  (Click HERE to learn more from quilt historian Barbara Brackman.)

I don't make a lot of wall hangings anymore (maybe since I've already got lots?) but it is nice to have some new ones to display.  I'll keep the four patch up until I get out the July 4th quilts.

This is my first post with the new version of Blogger.  Sigh.  In real life, I like a certain amount of change, but not in computer stuff.  However, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  And that is probably the best thing I've ever said about a software "upgrade".  I'll keep plugging away.

And that's what I'm doing every day, just hanging in and plugging away.  We have two epidemics in this country--Covid19 and police brutality.  I am encouraged to see so many people stepping up and speaking out.  I know change is possible, if we respect each other, reject violence, speak clearly and calmly, and work together.
I am comforted by this quote from anthropologist Margaret Mead.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap







21 comments:

  1. Your reproduction pinks are so pretty, Sylvia! I try not to worry about directional prints either - I waste too much fabric if I do that! Fun to see your basement project finishes, too. Thanks for your good thoughts at the end, too - that is a great quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Funny how I have an amazing amount of fabric, but I don't like to waste even a tiny bit! Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. The the little reproduction pinks! Your quilting is gorgeous. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Shoofly blocks are very beautiful, and sweet. I like the "cheater cloth" ;) Beautiful quote, and let's keep hope in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love vintage and reproduction fabrics. I don't worry about directional prints either for the same reason...my grandma and aunts never did and I loved their quilts.

    I have embroidered nursery rhyme blocks that I made into a quilt and set aside for hand quilting years ago but have never gotten around to it. I was going to finish it and pair it with an old Mother Goose book my kids had when they were little. If I ever get it finished it and the book will go into a hope chest for a first great grandchild. The oldest grandkids are now 15 so I still hope I have lots of time to get it finished but time sure flies!

    Plugging away here too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! What a lovely idea to pass down to your family!

      Delete
  5. Love those soft pinks--really nice in your shoo fly blocks...
    hugs, from afar julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sylvia, I too enjoy those lovely reproduction style pinks. Seeing your gorgeous shoo fly blocks makes me want to stitch some. Thanks for sharing that quote too. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Love all the pink "stuff"..so pretty.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pinks are beautiful! and what great little quilts - so happy and colorful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks for Finished or Not Finished Friday!

      Delete
  9. Your little quilt with the embroidered blocks is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finished is better than perfect, they say, so Hurrah! What a lovely finish. I got a real Crazy Quilt from my Grammie, that has a cheater cloth Mariners Compass on the back. You never know what you will find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! So true, you never know what you're going to find!

      Delete
  11. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!