Saturday, July 11, 2020

Red, White, and Blue--And Pink!

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I'm still celebrating Independence Day!  This is how far I've gotten on Bonnie Hunter's Fourth of July pattern, which I'm using for leaders and enders.  Only twelve blocks, but I can see how it's going to go together.  As an added plus, it uses dark blue, which is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Here's a little novelty surprise--it's Uncle Sam!  I think this is the last scrap I have of this fabric.  Of course it had to find its way into this quilt.

So that's red, white, and blue.  What about pink?
This is my Kings Crown/Log Cabin quilt top, sewn together at last.  And of course there is a story.
These blocks take me back to the first time I went to the AQS quilt show in Paducah, Kentucky. To me, this was the ultimate quilt heaven, days of shows and vendors and quilt everything!  I think this was in the 1980s, and I went with a wonderful group of friends from Ohio.

When I walked into the vendor hall for the first time, I was absolutely dazzled.  At one of the first booths, there were antique quilts and fabrics and blocks, and I was blown away.  I was also blown away by the prices!  I was used to finding scruffy projects in junk stores, and here were beautiful quilts and tops being sold for what they were actually worth.
But there was a bin of scruffy stuff, and these blocks were in it.  They cost 50 cents each.  Of course I bought them.
When I got home and the dazzle wore off, I could see what a big problem these blocks would be to sew into a quilt.  "Crooked" does not even describe the distortions.

I had fun tracking down the pattern, though.  This is the King's Crown pattern from Ruby McKim in her book One Hundred and One Patchwork Patterns, first published in the 1930s.
It also appeared in the Ladies Art Company catalog, at least by 1929, shown here in the bottom row, second from left.
Neither one of these was exactly the same as my block.  It was smaller than either pattern, and the colors were reversed from the LAC pattern.  I was also mystified by the name.  It really didn't look like a crown.
The blocks were in my basement "collection" for years, more as reminders of that awesome trip to Paducah than as a start for a quilt.  Having time during the pandemic made me think about actually finishing them.  When in doubt, log cabin!  I pulled 1.5 in. strips in blues and white/cream, put them in baskets beside the treadle, and added strips (AFTER I squared up the blocks to 6.5 in.!)
Once I got the first four blocks done, I could see the crown!  The blue strips formed a cross in the center of the crown.  It reminds me of many old hymns about the Cross and Crown.

It is hard to tell how old these King's Crown blocks are.  Double pink prints were produced for at least a century, and unbleached muslin has been around forever.  There is machine stitching on most of the blocks, but that doesn't tell us much either.  I used my reproduction 1800s scraps to give it a late 1800s/early 1900s feel.
Biddy the cat helped me decide where to put the stars on the borders.  I added them at the top and bottom to make it rectangular rather than square.
I used some of my favorite blue fabrics in this quilt.  The lighter blue star above is made with Liberty of London fabric that I bought at their store in London on our first trip to England in 1996.
The dark blue strip with the gold flowers is also a Liberty print I bought that same day.  Both of these blues were on the clearance rack, and are not the usual florals one thinks of as Liberty print.  I'm using them sparingly, but I think some scraps might go into the Fourth of July quilt!
The outer border is the same fabric as the border on my little table runner from last week.  When finished, the quilt will measure 72 in. x 82 in.
The corners of the quilt are new blocks, made from my repro double pink.  I didn't quite have enough original blocks for this setting.
I will probably ask a phenomenal quilter friend to long arm it for me.  This one will be a keepsake quilt, with lots of good memories sewn in.
Speaking of good memories, we are making some every day.  Our daughter is back to working full time, so we are full time babysitters again.  Little Buddy wants to help us take care of Baby Buddy, but sometimes he really has his hands full!  (Don't worry, there was a spotter not in the picture!)

This week, I'm wishing good new memories for all of us.  Times are hard, I know, but there is always some good mixed with the bad.  Take care of yourself, and stay safe!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












27 comments:

  1. So glad that you were able to turn your memories into a quilt. So many layers of meaning all working together on this one. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! The quilts I keep are the ones with the memories.

      Delete
  2. I love your Bonnie Hunter 4th of July quilt, Sylvia! Two simple blocks can make such an amazing design. The pink crown blocks turned into the log cabins are great, too! I enjoyed learning some history about the original blocks - looks like you have some really helpful resources. So glad you're back to spending more time with your sweet buddies, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! For years I was in charge of Quilt Documentation at the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts, so I collected a lot of pattern resources. Plus I just love patterns! It's great to have the kids back full time, but it definitely means less sewing from here on out!

      Delete
  3. While I'm looking forward to seeing that Leader/Ender quilt come together, that new/old quilt top is a treat to see, Sylvia! Thanks for the Little/Baby Buddy photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! The photo is from a week or so ago--I forgot to take any this week, we were so busy!

      Delete
  4. Wow,what a spectacular quilt you made from those old King's Crown blocks. How appropriate for the year of the corona virus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I never even thought about the corona/crown connection! I'll have to put something on the label about it.

      Delete
  5. So interesting to read the story behind those old blocks, and see what you have now done to them. Lovely that you preserved these old beauties are will be keeping it for yourself to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I almost always keep the quilts I make with old blocks. I'm afraid they may not wear as well as newly made quilts, but I will take good care of them. I just have to remember to pass on the stories to my kids!

      Delete
  6. I think your King’s Crown Log Cabin quilt is stunning! What a great job you did!
    Glad you are back with your little buddies! It is quiet at our house, our littles have moved away! 😥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I'm so sorry your littles moved away!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post filled with eye candy and history. Those babies are precious....yes make memories! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great bargain, and although those blocks are wonky You've made a lovely quilt out of them.
    Incidentally, I think it does look like a king's crown, when viewed on point; the sort of crown the kings of England wore over their helmets when they went into battle. But maybe just in the Holywood version of history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marly! Don't you just love the old Hollywood historical movies? Especially the ones with Errol Flynn. Plenty of excitement, a dashing hero, and probably not very accurate (but who cares?) Fun to watch, anyway!

      Delete
  9. You turned those blocks into an amazing quilt top. The blue really sets them off. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you finished those blocks with the log cabin and stars! What a treasure you have now, memories of that quilt show plus your trip to London! Isn't it exciting go finally get them to the flimsy (finished quilt top) stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! I love finishing tops! The only thing better is finishing the binding after it's quilted!

      Delete
  11. I love how you've enhanced the crown blocks so that they could be stitched into this lovely top! It's so full of memories, even if some of the history is a mystery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! The vendor didn't know anything about the blocks, which of course is not unusual. It does remind me to label my quilts!

      Delete
  12. I really like the cross and crown - that is a unique one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! You're right, this block is so unusual. I don't think I ever saw one, in ten years of doing quilt documentations.

      Delete
  13. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!