Friday, July 24, 2020

Mom Jeans (and Other Recycling)

Big Buddy, my oldest grandson, hasn't had a new quilt in a long time.  Now don't get me wrong, I've made him lots of quilts in the past, but recently his little brothers have been getting new ones and he hasn't.  Time to fix that.  The top above is for him, and I'm calling it Mom Jeans.  Bonus--it's mostly blue, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.
The quilt top is made of denim, as requested by Big Buddy, and all the pieces are recycled from old jeans.  Some of them are from my jeans, and some are from Big Buddy's mother.  (Two moms!)  My daughter is much more fashion-conscious than I am, so her discarded jeans were less worn than mine.  (She's also much slimmer, so I got less fabric from her old jeans.)  I used light blue, dark blue, and black.

The pattern is called Denim Rails, and is from the book Scraps and Shirtails, by Bonnie Hunter.  I didn't even change anything, which is unusual for me, except I didn't use strip piecing for the 9 patches, but just cut squares instead.
Since my grandson is 15 now, and thinks of himself as quite grown up (oh dear) I have been consulting him as I went along.  We still have a few decisions to make.  How warm does he want this quilt to be?  How thick should it be?  Cotton batting or poly?  Does he want a flannel backing or regular cotton?  Will a fabric I already have do, or do we need to order something?  And all of these decisions will affect how it gets quilted.
So this is as far as I can go without a further consultation.

You know, as much fun as it is to make quilts from new fabric and scraps, there is something really satisfying about recycling old clothes into a useful item like a quilt.  Although quilts have always been made from both new fabric and scraps, the traditional way to think about quilting is as a salvage craft, like making something from nothing.
This strikes a cord with me.  I love recycling!
These jars used to be filled with pesto or lemon curd.  Now they hold black raspberry jam, which I made this week from our berry harvest.
This old cat litter container makes a great diaper pail, with a flip-top lid.
And I've shown you my clothespin bag in the past, made from a rice bag.

What kinds of things are you recycling?  Got any good hints?  I would love to know!

Little Buddy (with Grandpa's help) built this tower, using all the wooden blocks and Legos we had.  I convinced him to let me take a picture, but seconds afterward, he gleefully demolished it.  I'm not sure which was more fun for him, building it up or knocking it down.

I always have much more fun making something than I do taking it apart.  (Does that mean I have a "constructive" attitude?)  I hope you have fun this week, whatever life brings your way.
Thanks for reading!
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











35 comments:

  1. I haven't worked with denim yet. yours looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! The treadle had no problem with the heavy fabric. I had to cut fewer layers with the rotary cutter, though.

      Delete
  2. Your denim quilt is lovely and so fun that you are consulting the new owner with questions along the way. It is always so fun to smash the block towers after building them =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I think smashing the towers is why the kids (and Grandpa) build them!

      Delete
  3. Your denim quilt is awesome. I've only made pillows and a kitty blanket with recycled jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosec! I'm thinking about grocery bags next. Or maybe even a purse.

      Delete
  4. Your quilt made with recycled denim is really neat, Sylvia! Looks like a great pattern for that purpose and also perfect for a teenage boy. I think you have some great ideas for repurposing items that might otherwise be thrown away. I still have the diaper pail from when my kids (in their 30s now) were babies, and it is perfect for a trash can in the laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Great job keeping the diaper pail. The more stuff we reuse, the less stuff goes to the landfill.

      Delete
  5. Big Buddy’s denim quilt is ??. I was trying to think of a word a15 yo would use! I am not in the “loop”. This old great granny thinks it is splendid!
    I recycle jars too! I have a pretty octagon one beside my Keurig with powdered creamer in it. I buy a huge jar and decant into the pretty one.
    We have a few kitty litter buckets too! One holds the bbq tools on the deck , one holds floor dry in the garage, another ice melt for the winter.
    I may include some in my I Like Thursday post....because I do like to recycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I don't know what the kids say now either. By the time I learn the slang, nobody's saying it anymore. I love pretty/cute jars! I will admit, I have bought a product just because it came in an great jar. I'm looking forward to your Thursday post.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE THIS!!! big Buddy is probably SO happy to be consulted - and it is going to end up with a Quilt that he LOVES so much!! But! I have to tell you - the mom comment - about her jeans not giving you as much fabric.... I died... that is TOO funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I want my Big Buddy to feel special. He's up to his knees in little brothers right now. As to the jeans, I have finally found the upside to wearing a larger size!

      Delete
  7. Another BIG fan of recycling here. Big Buddy's quilt is SEW awesome! LOVE using pre-used denim to make what my family refers to as "killer blankets". Even backed with flannel and no batting, you fall asleep just moments after covering up... even if you weren't trying to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Were the quilts soft enough without batting? I'm wondering if we should leave out the batting so it doesn't get too heavy.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe he's 15! They do grow up fast. I had a chuckle about the relative size of your jeans vs. your daughter's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Some of the jeans I used were from when my daughter was in high school, and they were even skimpier!

      Delete
  9. Some of the first quilts I made and still use for camping were made of old jeans. That's when both my husband and I were much slimmer so I guess it took us a lot more old jeans to make the quilts then than it would now. Good thing because I rarely wear jeans anymore.

    I have two 15 year old granddaughters. I can't believe it. Already? They certainly have their own opinions about things too.

    I have always recycled what I could. I learned early in life. We never have had much money. I got tips from my grandmother as to how to make do since she lived through the Depression Era and other difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! My grandmother was also a Depression Era mom. She was great at making do and figuring out how to stretch the budget. Gran was recycling before it was cool!

      Delete
  10. Your denim quilt looks great! You really do need client consultation when kids are at that age, dont you. That way you know the quilt will be exactly as they want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I'm hoping the quilt will mean more to him because he got to make decisions about it.

      Delete
  11. Your denim quilt is inspirational - I have a tub of old jeans waiting to be recycled! Another favorite recycling project: making grocery bags from empty 40 lb birdseed bags (could be from any type of bag made from tyvek-like material).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Great idea on the grocery bags. I've been wanting to make zippered pouches from empty candy bags (at least, that's what I tell myself when I buy and "empty" the candy bags!)

      Delete
  12. I will be making a jeans quilt in the near future. DS wants something made out of his Dad's jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meloney! That sounds like a good sturdy memory quilt.

      Delete
  13. Mom Jeans! Love that name for a quilt for a guy! I’d love to hear that conversation with him about decisions that still need to be made. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JanineMarie! We talked this week, and it was mostly me giving choices (Do you want it thick or thin?) and getting back one word answers. I'm still not sure about the backing.

      Delete
  14. Yum! Black raspberry jam! I'd stand in line for some of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to have enough berries for jam, the way Little Buddy eats them!

      Delete
  15. Love what you have done with those old jeans. What a fun joint project. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Mom's Jeans quilt. I made a used denim "quilt" decades ago, 4-patches and alternate blocks. Tied it, gave it to son #1, still using it, loves it! It IS heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! I think this one will weigh a ton--he wants a puffy batting!

      Delete
  17. Hi Sylvia! Judy mentioned that you had made a blue jeans quilt for your grandson so I wanted to pop over and see it. Fabulous! I love recycling jeans like this. A few years ago I made a quilt using jeans and flannel and the seams were exposed on the front. We had to cut the edges and let it fray. Anyway, it was very heavy when it was finished but what a nice warm quilt! I'm certain your grandson will just adore snuggling underneath all the love you stitched into it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseanne! It's nice to know how your quilt turned out. My Big Buddy is still thinking about whether he wants flannel on the back. Even the top is heavy!

      Delete
  18. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!