Friday, July 3, 2020

Happy Independence Day, America!


July 4th is a great holiday.  No stress, no presents to buy, warm weather, and based on some of the best parts of American history.  It's even a good reason to make a little table runner, using dark blue, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.
I've always wanted to use these fabrics, reproductions of prints popular during the Centennial.  I only had fat quarters, so it had to be something small, thus a table runner instead of a larger quilt.  The print above shows the liberty bell alternating with a liberty cap on a pole.  As a country, we remember the bell, but the cap, although a real thing back in the day, seems sort of odd now.
Isn't this eagle the best?  Majestic and fierce, with arrows in one claw and an olive branch in the other.
The eagle fabric has this stripe, with words saying, "In God We Trust, 1776-1876" and "Welcome Centennial U. S. of A".
I only had a little of this Declaration of Independence fabric to put on the back so it's not centered, but it's very grand and patriotic.

This circle represents the colony of Connecticut.  One of my ancestors emigrated from England to Hartford, Connecticut in the 1630s.  The acorns and oak leaves represent the Charter Oak.
This is the binding fabric.  I didn't quite have enough, but I added another red to it so I could use it.  Peace and Unity.  What could be more perfect for the times we live in? 
If we really want peace and unity, we have to live up to our highest ideals.  Without justice, and I mean justice for ALL, there can be neither peace nor unity.
Oh dear, I seem to have stepped up on my soapbox.  I blame it on the significance of the day, and what we're living through now.
Returning to quilting, here is my leader and ender project for July.  It's appropriately called Fourth of July, and is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern.  Click HERE to go to the instructions.
I've gotten a few four patches done.  Many of them are made from Mackinac Island charm squares sent to me by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, as a prize for making quilts for her annual Hands 2 Help Challenge (thanks, Sarah!).  I cut the charm squares into 4 squares each (2.5 in.) to use in the blocks.  Of course I added in my own plentiful scraps.
Only 3 finished blocks so far!  If you've read the pattern, you know that I am changing the square sizes from 6 in. finished to 4 in.  Then I'm combining four of the blocks together.  It will look very much the same as Bonnie's in the end. 
This was a good book to read this month:  Lafayette in the Somewhat United States, by Sarah Vowell.  The author reminds us of how quarrelsome and fractious Americans were then, not unlike today, unfortunately.  Her lively writing style gives us a clearer picture of one of America's early heroes, the charming young Frenchman who believed in American ideals and came to help us fight for them.

A portrait of Lafayette is hanging at the palace of Versailles, and I made sure to have my photo taken with it last summer.  Merci, Lafayette! 
One more thing.  This is the first red raspberry from our vines.  It's like the first raindrop of a summer shower.  More are coming, little by little, to make life even sweeter.

Have a wonderful safe weekend, and to all Americans Happy 4th of July!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
Angela at So Scrappy


































20 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day, Sylvia! I love all your red, white and blue projects. That Declaration fabric is really super! I've never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I think I bought the Declaration fabric second hand somewhere. I barely had enough to back this little runner. I never know what will turn up in my stash. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. What a great runner for today, Sylvia! You had the perfect fabric for it! Love your picture with Lafayette, too. Evidently Americans have always been quarrelsome and fractious?! It's good to know about our history. Have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I like that we all can have our say and hash out national problems. I do wish we could be less disagreeable when we disagree! Hope your 4th was fun.

      Delete
  3. Lovely table runner and a great new project, Sylvia! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m very fond of patriotic fabric and decor! Your fabrics are awesome. I had some Declaration of Independence fabric! But mine was tan on cream. Yours is much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I've collected this kind of fabric for years, at least now I'm finally using some of it.

      Delete
  5. Your table runner is perfect for the 4th, and your scrappy RWB blocks are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Beautiful table runner...love the scrappy scraps project...
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, fresh raspberries ripe from the vine! I remember as a child spending summer days with Mother and my older siblings as they picked raspberries, then a few years later I too was filling boxes for the reward of $. The farmer we picked for gave out donuts in the mornings and ice-cream cups in the afternoons. Not all bosses were so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful! I love picking berries. And I would really love a boss like that!

      Delete
  8. Wishing you sweetness in your raspberries this summer and good health all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love your runner!!! I may have to use this idea for a runner myself. May I borrow the idea please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It's nothing fancy. The pieced blocks are 4 in. finished.

      Delete
  10. What a great runner! that eagle is amazing!! and thanks for the book title!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!