Saturday, July 18, 2020

Blue Prints

Welcome to Treadlestitches, a blend of old and new.  Here's what's new--dark blue shoofly blocks for one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.
I'm using 3.5 in. strips from my "parts department" to make these blocks.  The center of this one is a random square leftover from something I don't even remember.  (Does this happen to you?)  I think it kind of looks like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors.  "Feed me, Seymour!" 
This time the center is baseball.  I apologize for the light level in the photos--I just couldn't get it right this morning.
This one was my test block, to see if I liked making these Shoofly blocks with the lights and darks in this position.  (Yep, I liked it.  It also uses more dark fabric than light, which is perfect for my scraps.)
And my favorite of this bunch.  The lighter triangles are leftovers from my tablerunner, and the center is from my Obama quilt.  The word Hope is prominent on this square.  Hope is what we need right now.

So that's the blocks made from new fabric.  I'm also working on "recycling" a partially finished quilt top (click HERE for more info--scroll down past the house blocks).  I got a little bit done on that this week.
These are the blue blocks.  I wasn't working on this project when the RSC started, so I'm catching up on light blue plus medium/dark blue.  As I rip the blocks out of their previous setting, I'm sewing them together with white squares to make Double Nine Patch blocks.
Some of these old prints are a hoot.  Blue cherries?  Tied with a gingham ribbon?
I think they may have made a reproduction of this print, or something similar.
This fabric is in several of the little blocks.  What do you think it's supposed to represent?  Is it a window (but not attached to a house)?  Or maybe a phone booth?  I think it looks a bit like the Tardis in Dr. Who.  And what about the background--is it a quilt pattern?  Whatever it's supposed to be, I think it's perfectly weird and I'm glad to have it.
This block is new.  I had to make a couple more, to replace some with really bad stains.  (How does a quilt block from an unfinished quilt get stained?  Was the fabric stained before she cut the pieces?)  Not weird, but it blends in.
Production has slowed to a crawl in my sewing room this week.  I usually sew for a half hour or thereabouts in the morning, but I wasn't able to do that every day, and having the kids full time is an adjustment I'm still making.  I just have to keep reminding myself that I don't have any deadlines, and things will get done "all in good time".

We have had some good times this week!
Our oldest daughter came by with her two kids.  I'm calling them Mr. H and Miss E.  Mr. H is camera shy, so getting pictures of him is a challenge.  Miss E and Little Buddy had lots of fun on Miss E's splash pad.
Check out this band of brothers!  Big Buddy turned 15 this week (I can't even believe it!).  Their mom got them to pose like this.  Little Buddy is goofy as always, and Baby Buddy is just happy to be here.

I'm happy to be here, too!  For the week ahead, I am wishing you hope and joy, wherever you find it.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

Addendum:  The Obama Quilt
I thought I had blogged about this quilt before, but I must have finished it before I started blogging.  Anyway, here are some photos.

The center is a printed square portrait of President Obama I bought at a quilt show, not long after the election.  Doesn't he look young here?  The cornerstones are the fabric I used in the shoofly block.
Each star has a detail from the president's life or an accomplishment as president, written inelegantly in permanent ink by me.
In 2008, there were Obama prints in the local fabric shop (like the Yes We Can/Hope fabric in the cornerstones).  I used the one above for the top and bottom border.  It's kind of crudely printed, but I don't care, it's part of history.
Here's the back, a flag print.
This square celebrates the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  The bottom red fabric is a reproduction print named for Sally Hemmings, Thomas Jefferson's slave and the mother of five of his children.

The election of the first African American president is one of the most momentous historical events of my lifetime.  So of course I made a quilt about it!  By the way, we don't use this quilt.  I put it on the bed in the extra room sometimes, especially when we have an election.












29 comments:

  1. You made an Obama quilt, Sylvia?! I wish I could see it. We definitely do need Hope right now! Love how you're re-doing the older quilt blocks, and cute pictures of your grands, too. Happy times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Happy times indeed. And more precious now than ever.

      Delete
  2. I love that blue cherry with gingham ribbon fabric. But, you are right...that thing in the hourglass background is kind of weird. Great idea to recycle those fun blocks.

    The Shoofly blocks are going to make a nice quilt too. I kind of like them with the centers in an entirely different fabric from the rest of the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some really nice Dark BLUE blocks, Sylvia (and happy birthday to Big Buddy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's a little quieter this year for birthdays, but we still have fun.

      Delete
  4. I’d be interested in seeing the Obama quilt too! I haven’t read The Audacity of Hope, but it’s on my want to read list!
    I’m impressed with your repair work. Great save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I read Dreams of My Father years ago, and it was very interesting, but I still haven't gotten to the Audacity of Hope. Might be a good time to read it now.

      Delete
  5. Love the Obama quilt--we could sure use him now~~ that's for sure...

    I think the mystery fabric looks like 1) telephone booth
    and 2) background like little hourglasses...what fun figuring that out; and those gingham tied blue cherries--gosh I love that one-- ...you have so many great fabrics..very vintage looking...
    Nice projects...hugs from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to leave another comment to say thank you for sharing your quilt about President Obama! It's beautiful, and definitely a keepsake. Hope is definitely what we need right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We could all use a big bowl of hope right now!
    Love all your quilty goodness here - the in-progress and the finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the addendum photos and info about your Obama quilt! It’s wonderful and an awesome way to remember a pivotal moment in our history! I don’t think I ever saw those fabrics in my area. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you shared the Obama quilt! I love it. Reminds me of more hopeful times, for sure. I hope you get to make another celebratory quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm hoping to make a few more quilts celebrating historic events--elections, of course, but also the anniversary of women's suffrage.

      Delete
  10. Oh, the Obama quilt. What a treasure and remembrance of a time when grace, dignity, compassion and decorum were a hallmark of our highest office. I’m fascinated by your old quilt blocks. That 40’s (?) print! I thought “window when I saw it, but why? I guess designers were really searching for something “new.” I’m loving the photo of your grands, each with their own keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JanineMarie! I always love all these old vintage fabrics. About the boy band, the music might hurt your ears, but they sure are cute.

      Delete
  11. “Feed me, Seymour!!!” ROTFL! And now I cannot unsee that in the fabric. Hah! Your Obama quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Obama quilt is wonderful. And your dark blue blocks are great, I always enjoy remembering where fabrics come from and which other projects included them. The fun of doing things scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blue blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    Sigh...I miss having a president with dignity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! We gotta hang in there, and keep hoping.

      Delete
  14. What a great bunch of eye candy today. I like the gingham bow with the cherries. My thought was blue cherries? I think fabric designers sometimes just put geometric shapes scattered on fabric. Good for you to be redoing the old quilt. I've worked on a few. I have a friend's grandmother's (or great grand) blocks and left over fabric. I have a bunch of arcs for wedding ring but don't have the motivation to do anything with them... sigh. You are so right about Obama. I miss his integrity. I was reading the other day that 45 (I refuse to name him) refuses to hang Obama's picture with the other presidents. I'm hoping for a uplifting results from this falls election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I really enjoy fixing up old quilts and blocks into new quilts. As I say, hang on, and keep hoping!

      Delete
  15. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!