Saturday, August 1, 2020

Patchworking


Happy first day of August!  I hope you and all your loved ones are well.
Life has been sort of a roller coaster around here since March.  Nothing bad, mind you, but our routines have been all out of whack.  First, weeks without kids here (due to our daughter's maternity leave, and then the virus shutdown), then kids just one day per week, then full time for a couple of weeks, and now three days per week.  The dog and I just don't know what to make of it.  Bella the dog copes by barking at every little noise in the morning, thinking it's her beloved kids.  I'm just catching up on my piecing.
This is the center of my Fourth of July quilt.  I was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's pattern of the same name (on the free tab at the Quiltville site), but I have changed it around a little.  Now I'm thinking about borders.  I didn't have enough of the Mackinac Island pieces to make more rows, but I don't want a square quilt.  So, math.  There are lots of possibilities.  What would you do?
Speaking of catching up, I finally pieced the rest of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for July.  These are the Text Me A Quilt blocks.  (Click HERE for info about the pattern.)
Novelty print scraps can look very weird when cut up.  Like headless dinosaurs.
It was harder to find dark blue prints for my 1930s house blocks, but scrounging around in my feed sacks uncovered a couple.  The windows and door on this one are repros, the rest are the feed sacks.
House #2 is made of a repro acorn print.  The yellow print in the windows has little mice running around.  No cats here!
The roof print is a feed sack.  Does it look familiar?  The dark blue in house #1 is this same print, with the little birds.  I don't often find feed sacks in two colorways.
The last house is all repro print, and mostly airplane fabric.  I'm not very happy with the lack of contrast between the roof and the background, but I'm going to leave it as is.
We always think of the 1930s fabrics as pastels, and there were plenty of pastels, of course, but there were lots of "crayon colors" too.
Now that I've finally finished piecing the RSC blocks for July, I can set aside the blues and reach for our new color of the month, purple.
I love just looking at these!  Purple is fast becoming my favorite color.
This is my 2.5 in. strip roll of bright purple.  I can hardly wait to cut pieces from here.
Baby Buddy might look sweet, but watch out.  He's a drool meister.  If drool was money his parents could buy Disney World.
I made him some bibs yesterday, from scraps of knit fabric.
The backs are terry cloth, cut from a towel.  Maybe this will keep his shirts from getting soaked!
Our purple flowers are really appreciated by the bumble bees and honey bees.

I'm wishing you a happy week ahead.  Our new normal isn't really normal, but we're doing the best we can to stay safe and keep others safe, too.
Thanks for reading!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy (Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!)
Cynthia at Oh Scrap







23 comments:

  1. Sylvia, I always love your cheerful posts! Life is not normal right now, but we'll just have to keep doing the best we can! Your 4th of July quilt is wonderful - simple blocks can make such neat designs. I have a square quilt in my post today, too, and have been wondering about adding a border to make it rectangular. Bigger on top and bottom and narrower on the sides? I'll be interested to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! We both seem to be working on the same problem--what to do about a square quilt? I slept under a too-small square quilt as a teenager, and I know what a pain it can be, so I usually make rectangular quilts. It's a puzzle.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    love all your little house blocks...so cheerful...you little guy looks happy and the bibs will make him more happier..have a
    great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spy my fabrics in your blocks! I have the dinosaur and the baseballs =) Your 4th of july quilt is just lovely - sorry no help as I would just leave it square and bind it in red. Looking forward to the purples this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb A! We have good taste in fabrics! Have fun with your purples.

      Delete
  4. Wrapping up Dark BLUE and readying the PURPLE? Nicely done, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love your purple fabric collection. The houses are lovely too. Perhaps Baby Buddy is teething. He's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hetty! I don't think he's teething yet, he's always in such a good mood! It's coming, though, he's almost 5 months old.

      Delete
  6. Your Fourth of July quilt looks wonderful - I'm a sucker for red, white, and blue quilts. You said you don't have enough "pieces" for additional rows - do you have enough fabric to just make two more rows? If so, I would repeat the 4th row from the bottom (the row that has two sets of four patches next to each other) and add it to the top and bottom of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Angie! Thanks for the suggestion. I think that would be a very good look, and I could definitely scrape up enough fabric for it (although the Mackinac charm squares are just about gone). Each segment in the quilt is only 4 in. finished, so that would add 8 in. making the top 48 x 56. After that, I could add borders on all sides. Hey, this could work! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Puppy and your Bella would totally understand each other - Puppy has no idea what is going to happen and who will be here next! I really like all of your projects!! That Patriotic one is really really cool! and your rsc!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Poor Puppy! We're all just playing it by ear now.

      Delete
  9. I'm a big fan of purple, too! Enjoy!
    I love your house blocks and am looking forward to seeming the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! These house blocks are so much fun to make. Deciding on the fabrics is the hardest part.

      Delete
  10. You have some great purple scraps! Do you have purple feedsacks? Looking forward to what you make in this, the very best color month of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Amen, purple is the very best of all. Yes, I have a few purple feedsacks and some purple vintage fabrics, too. This is going to be fun!

      Delete
  11. Your blocks are all so wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I always love seeing what you do with scraps.

      Delete
  12. Your 4th of July quilt made my heart SING!! It's beautiful! Thanks for directing me to BH's pattern. Sweet little drool meister and sounds like you came up with a brilliant solution with terry-backed bibs. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!