Saturday, August 8, 2020

Finishing, and Starting

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's no secret, I love the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Last year, I went overboard making zigzag blocks, and ended up making two Zigzag quilt tops.  I quilted the first one months ago.  This week, I had some time off from babysitting, so I got the second one finished.

 Woo hoo!  These were such fun to make.  (Click HERE for more on this project.)

Of course I started the quilting with the purple row!  Purple is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for August.  Plus it was in the center of the quilt, after all.

The back is a paw print, with hearts thrown in here and there.  The binding is pink, for somebody special.

When I first started making zigzag blocks, I hadn't decided what I was going to do with the quilts when they were finished.  I donate a lot of quilts to charity, and I thought I might do that with these.  But then I started making the denim quilt for my oldest grandson (click HERE for that), and that helped me decide.  This is the year ALL the grand kids get new quilts.

The zigzag quilt on the right will go to Mr. H.  In this one, the rows are in RGBiv color order, with no pink, and it's bound in all different colors.  The new zigzag quilt on the left will go to his sister, Miss E.  She loves pink.  Both of them have birthdays coming up, but I don't think I can wait for that!

These quilts are not big enough for their beds (kids have huge beds now!) but they can use them to cover up when watching TV, or take them camping or on sleepovers.

For this year's RSC, I got my 3 Shoofly blocks done.  All these blocks for this project are made of 1800s reproduction fabrics.

I missed the kids this week--they were up north with their other grandparents.  But it was good to get a few things done.  I spent some of my time canning bread and butter pickles and more pickle relish.  The house smelled like a pickle factory, but it's done now for the year.

Hubby and I went to a state park along Lake Michigan yesterday morning.  It was a beautiful day.

It's a popular park.  See all the footprints in the sand?  We kept a careful distance from other people, and went home when it started to get crowded.

We walked a mile down the beach, and then back across the dunes on the boardwalk.  Growing all over the dunes were these purple flowers.  Standing here you could hear the droning of the bees as they gathered nectar.  It was a welcome sound.  Bees have had a hard time lately.  These seemed very healthy (and happy?).

I wished my Mom was there with us, and not just because she would know the name of this plant.

It was good to get out into the wider world for a few hours.  There's a reason they call it "recreation".

Meanwhile, back at the "ranch", purple inspiration is everywhere.  Even in our shirts on the clothesline!

This week, I'm wishing you inspiration and excitement, and some rest and recreation, too.  Have a good week, and thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 




28 comments:

  1. The pickles look delicious and your zigzag quilts are SO FUN! I noticed you had serpentine quilting stitches in the middle of the zigzags. Were you the one that told us about the particulars of this stitch for quilting? I used it on my Winnie the Pooh quilt and couldn't remember where I'd heard the info and couldn't give credit where due. Your beach walk sounds wonderful to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! No, although I like the serpentine stitch for quilting I don't think I've ever said much about it on the blog. There is a lovely lady in my quilt group who always quilts with this stitch, and I got the idea from her.

      Delete
  2. An RSC quilt finish, an outdoor adventure, and some PURPLE blocks, too? What a great week, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was! Tomorrow it's back to regular life, but that's okay too.

      Delete
  3. I love your zigzag quilts, Sylvia! They are what inspired me to try making one this year, too. You were so smart to make one without pink - those will be perfect for your grands. I'm so impressed with your pickles! And what a beautiful place for a walk - thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I would never have thought of a zigzag quilt if I hadn't been doing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and seen other quilter's zigzags. We're all busy inspiring each other!

      Delete
  4. I can smell the yummy pickles! The walk on the beach looks wonderful and love the quilts for the grands. The purple blocks are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your quilts will be perfect for grandchildren - they will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie, I hope so. Mr. H. will be 12 soon, so this might be his last "kid type" quilt.

      Delete
  6. Oh another zig zag quilt! I really must do one! I wondered if I had the right neutrals, but yours are fabulous and light with many colors! I could do it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely can! I pulled in everything I could find for these blocks. Lots of the fabrics are kind of weird, like one with a monkey dressed like Superman.

      Delete
  7. The zig zag rows make wonderful quilts! Love the quilting you have done on them too.
    Preserving, making pickles, chutneys, jams and such is always so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I agree, there's just something about putting up food, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Almost like finishing a quilt!

      Delete
  8. The flower is knapweed. It's in the daisy family. Unfortunately, here in WA State it is considered a noxious weed because it spreads so quickly and takes over! I think the blooms are a lovely shade of lavender, though, and the bees love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, BB! I am glad to know the name of it. When we were last at this park, I don't think there was any of it, and now it's everywhere.

      Delete
  9. I don't think there's any such thing as too many Zig Zag blocks! Your quilts are both so wonderfully scrappy. Congrats on those finishes.

    Smells like a pickle factory here too! Pickled beets, pickled peppers and bread and butter pickles here. I'm still getting lots of cucumbers so there may be another batch in the future as well as peppers although I may dry some of those.

    Clothes hang out to dry here too. I wash with a wringer washer and make my own laundry soap too. I live in the wrong era!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cathy! I like all our modern conveniences, but I really live an old fashioned life. Like piecing quilts on a treadle!

      Delete
  10. Love those zigzag quilts. I might have to start one of my own. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm sure your zigzag would be amazing.

      Delete
  11. Coordinating quilts for siblings? It's the perfect gift! No wonder you're so excited about giving these two beauties away. I'm sure they will be greatly loved and often used :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your zigzag quilts are fabulous, and your Shoofly blocks are looking good, too! Love those picture of the park along Lake Michigan. I'm feeling nature-starved, trapped in my crowded suburban town with no green space or open water to be seen anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! I hope you can find a safe place to go, even if it's just on the internet.

      Delete
  13. Those RSC quilts are awesome!! What fun it will be to give them to your loved ones!! I couldn't wait either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I'm not expecting the kids to be thrilled exactly, but I think they'll like them. There's a lot to see in all the novelty prints.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful bright zigzag quilts! They will love them. I enjoyed your nature photos too.
    Karmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karmen! I'm so glad we made time to get away, even if it did mean less sewing time!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!