Saturday, November 28, 2020

Leftovers

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Are you still working on the Thanksgiving leftovers?  We definitely are.  I have also been working on some quilt leftovers.

These pieces were left over from making Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice pattern, her mystery quilt for 2013.  (Yes, seven years ago.)  I found them when I was cleaning out my basement stash, and was trying to decide what to do with them.

There's a reason they were leftovers.  Most of them are Not Made Well.  There was nothing wrong with Bonnie's instructions, my sloppy sewing and cutting are solely to blame.  In a vain attempt to match points, I distorted their shapes.  Quite a few of them have one half of the little square longer than the other half.  I remember being in despair about these sections, before I just decided to replace them with an unpieced square and get on with life.

Faced with this bag of failure, I was ready to toss it out, but decided to take one more look.  Some of the pieces were actually okay.  I could arrange them to make a star.

Or I could make this block.  And I could put in a blue square for the center.  Green and yellow are okay (Go Packers!) but I liked it better with another color added in.


Arranging it this way, I can have my stars, too.

The pieced sashing between the two blocks gives this effect.  Kind of like hidden stars.

Piecing the sashing between the rows makes it look like this.  I used two of the exact same units as the sashing between the blocks, with another blue square between the units.  (In this photo, count up 4 squares (not blocks) from the bottom to find the sashing row.)

I kept going until I finished the top for this table runner.  I have a long dining room table, with leaves that fold down, so this size fits well.  When I get it quilted, I can use it during non-holiday times of the year.  The best of those old leftovers have found a new home, and I can with a good conscience get rid of the rest.

Here's a casual shot of our Thanksgiving this year.  We were a small crew in person, larger if you count in family on Zoom.  Baby Buddy couldn't get the idea of looking at the camera.

Do you make scrap pies?  Leftover crust and pumpkin or cherry filling get baked in a smaller dish so as not to waste any yummy pie.  These always seem to get eaten first!

In other news, the Shoofly quilt sections are quilted, and sewn together.

Last night I was working on sewing down the backing seams by hand.  Making the quilt in sections makes it possible for me to quilt it easily on my domestic machine, but it does mean I have to do a little hand sewing to make it work.  That's okay with me!

On the front, you can't tell it wasn't made in one piece.  In the photo above, the row with the purple and dark blue block is from section one, and the row with the pink block is from section two.

At the top and bottom of the quilt, there is extra batting and backing, just waiting for the next step--borders!  

Mr. Biddy thinks it's cozy just as it is.

I hope you're having a cozy weekend, doing whatever you love to do best.  Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 













17 comments:

  1. I bet I have some of those "Not Made Well" blocks from an older project stashed away somewhere, too! I love what you did with yours, Sylvia! I wish I could come over and watch as you sew your quilt-as-you-go smaller sections together and then add the borders. I would love to learn that method for finishing quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I wish you could come over, too! I'm planning a post sometime soon on how I do quilt as you go. It's not hard to do, but it can be hard to explain. I'll take lots of pictures.

      Delete
  2. LOVE that you used up those scraps on your new table runner! Nicely done, Sylvia. The magic of your "divide and conquer" technique worked perfectly! Best of luck with the borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I've picked the fabric for the borders, but haven't decided how to quilt them yet. Something simple, probably.

      Delete
  3. Not Made Well turned into Made Well. Nice story!

    I'm not working on Thanksgiving leftovers because Thanksgiving here was just another day. For the first time in eons we had BBQ ribs instead of a turkey.

    I so make scrap pies sometimes. Other times I just sprinkle butter and cinnamon and sugar over leftover rolled out pie crust and bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I used to do that with leftover pie crust when my kids were little. BBQ ribs sounds delicious.

      Delete
  4. I love the way your quilt-as-you-go project looks. I've never seen it done the way your backing looks. Usually, I've seen the back have a narrow piece of fabric that looks like sashing. I'll really prefer the way your backing looks. Do you whip stitch the fabric together? I hope you'll show us more about your method. It's nice to see all of your "Buddies" enjoying Thanksgiving dinner together, even if Baby Buddy prefers to gaze at his mom's lovely face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KatieQ! I'll try to do a post on this sometime soon. Basically, I sew the two sections together, keeping the backing of at least one section out of the seam. (You need to have some extra backing. I like to play it safe and have at least an inch or two.) Then I press the loose backing over the seam, turn it under, and hem stitch it down. It's easier to understand with pictures.

      Delete
  5. I love your tablerunner made of scraps that were Not Made Well! You ended up with Well, Got Made and it looks very well, indeed. Amazing how pieces can find a happy future life with some creative thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love Well, Got Made! Some projects work out okay from the start, but others need help and a not-too-critical eye.

      Delete
  6. Great job turning those leftovers into a lovely table topper. It looks like it was planned all along. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And thanks for all the scrap inspiration!

      Delete
  7. You are making yourself a lovely heirloom there! Think I just may copy your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think that is a great use of leftover parts!!! It turned out lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my those stars!!! I love how you resurrected those leftovers. They are spectacular. Looks like you can have your stars and your sparkle too :-) Your lemon-coriander creation is absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!