Saturday, November 21, 2020

More Fan Quilting

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

We have had a lovely fall here in Wisconsin, with some unexpected warm days even in November.  No snow yet, or at least no accumulation, which is good news for my husband as he finishes the leaf raking.  We're getting used to freezing temps at night, and frost on the grass in the morning.

Does anybody else remember when these little round dolls were trendy?  I bought this Pilgrim pair at a craft fair, probably in the 1990s.  They seem a little silly now, but they're a cheerful part of our Thanksgiving holiday..

Last week, I showed how I'm using this template (above) to quilt a Baptist fan pattern on my Shoofly quilt, one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts for this year.  Today, in response to a reader question, I'm going to show how I position the template.

 Traditionally, these fan designs, which mostly date from the mid to late 1800s, are marked on the quilt top completely ignoring the piecing.  It can be difficult to decide where to mark.  In the old days, the ladies often marked as they quilted, which can lead to some dead ends and strange arcs.  (The photo above is from an excellent article about the history of fan quilting.  Click HERE to read it.)

I needed a more organized approach, so here's what I came up with. 

The template is 8.5 in. square, with lines drawn for the quarter inch seam allowance on the sides.  My blocks finish at 9 in. square. 
Step #1:  On the first block of the row, I positioned the template on the right, with the template's seam allowance line lined up on the seam line between this block and the block below it.  I marked this, and quilted it.

Step #2:  Next, I lined up the template's center line with the seam allowance between the first block in the row and the second (the paisley square).  I marked those lines.  The lines on the right of the line only needed to be marked until they touched the quilting already done on the first block.

Before I could go to the machine, I needed to finish marking the paisley square.  To do that, I positioned the template with the bottom line on the seam line, and connected these new markings to the ones I had just done. Time to quilt!

Here's what it looks like quilted.  As I go down the row, I just keep repeating step #2.  I only do step #1 with the first block in each row.

There is a slight gap in the quilting between one row and the next.  I may fill in with arcs later, but it's only about 1.5 in. at the widest, so I may just leave it.

 I knew when I started that I wanted to try to line up the quilting with the piecing.  That's what made all the problems with the marking, because the lines had to show up on light, dark, and medium fabrics.  Another way to do fan quilting would be to mark it on the BACK of the quilt, which would make marking much easier, since you would usually only have one backing fabric to contend with.  But then you'd have to think of another way to anchor your lines.  (Maybe a striped backing?  Or basting lines? Hmm...)

Two of the three sections are quilted, and I hope to finish the last one today.  Then I'll be joining them together, and adding borders.

I am not letting this messy little boy anywhere near my quilts!  Little Buddy loves blueberries (can you tell?).  He had a day off from preschool this week, and we made blueberry pancakes for lunch.  There were plenty of berries left over for eating and apparently for squishing.  (You should have seen his hands!)  It's a good thing kids are washable.

Happy Thanksgiving this week to all who celebrate.  It will be different for us this year, and strange to not have the whole family here, but we will manage.  The health and safety of each one of us is important enough to do whatever we can to help.  I'm looking forward to next year, when we can put the virus behind us.

Stay safe, and thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches
 
Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy  
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 











26 comments:

  1. Your little pilgrim dolls are so cute, Sylvia - it's always fun to get out the traditional decorations, isn't it?! Your fan quilting is looking good, too. Do you use a walking foot for that or a free-motion foot? Little Buddy has good taste in foods - blueberry pancakes are a favorite at our house, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm quilting the fans on my Pfaff that has a built-in walking foot. There's a sort of lever you engage near the foot. I have been very happy with Mrs. Pfaff, hope she keeps going for a long time to come.

      Delete
    2. That's what I have, too! I've had my Pfaff almost 2 years now, and have been very pleased with that built in walkibg foot!

      Delete
  2. That was interesting to see how you quilted the fans! I only baptist fan quilted once and did it free form. I liked how it turned out, but I had to really concentrate and that hurt my brain! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy! That's how my friend does it, just free form on her long arm. I'm amazed at her talent.

      Delete
  3. yum on the pancakes and I like how the baptist fans are looking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Baptist fan quilting and glad you figured out how to manage it with your blocks. My sister recently was asking me if I had any suggestions for her to mark fans on her quilt. She wants to start at the top but only found examples online where the fans started at the bottom of the quilt. I may send her the link to your post for her consideration. My mother favors blueberry anything and she would love some pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie! Some people even suggest starting in the middle of the quilt. Not sure how that would work. Your mom has it right--hurray for blueberry anything!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing how you quilted the Baptist Fans. I love that Little Buddy really gets into his food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fans are looking good. What did you decide to use to mark them and do you have to start and stop a lot when quilting? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie. I finally settled on the purple disappearing marker (see my last post). I don't want to mark too far ahead and have the marks disappear, so I only mark one block at a time. I start quilting on the smallest arc, then turn the quilt and quilt the next one, etc. until all 8 arcs are done.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your marking method, Sylvia. Blueberry Face looks very happy!! Who can blame him? YUM!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great method to mark your Baptist fans! Thanks for sharing. I've a couple of blueberry faces too. Seeing your blueberry face made me smile. I paused to remember the fun times we have had making pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I love cooking and baking with the grandkids.

      Delete
  9. I just adore your little dolls! I don't think they look silly. They are charming. Thanks for the tutorial on working with Baptist fans. I like your method. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks as always for Finished or Not Finished Friday!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing the process you use to mark your fans. I think it is going to look fabulous on your quilt.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blueberry face - so sweet. The pilgrim dolls are so cute. The Baptist Fans are such a great quilting pattern. You definitely make it seem easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Preeti! I really enjoy reading your blog every week.

      Delete
  13. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!