Saturday, November 14, 2020

Adventures in Fan Quilting

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

This week, I tried to learn something new.

It's actually something old--fan quilting.  We mostly call it Baptist Fan now, but that term is relatively recent.  In the late 1800s, when the quilt above was probably made, they may have just called it fan quilting or shell quilting.  (Click HERE for a great article on fan quilting.)

Many years ago, I made a Churn Dash quilt and hand quilted the fans.  I used a string and a piece of chalk to mark the arcs just like they did the in old days, which sometimes turned out okay and sometimes was a mess.

This is the finished quilt.  I think it should be have been more closely quilted.

I have a friend who is very good at doing fan quilting, free-hand, on her long arm machine.  She quilted this star quilt for me.

I've often wondered if I could do this kind of quilting on my domestic machine.  I don't do free motion quilting (yet?), but it seemed like these would be easy curves I could sew with Mrs. Pfaff's built-in walking foot.

So I bought this template.

It's called Around the Block, by June Tailor.  It's a hard plastic template, which should hold up well, and I liked all the lines for positioning it.  I decided to try it on my Shoofly quilt, one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts for this year.  The blocks were already set with paisley squares, and divided into 3 sections of 3 rows each, spray basted to the batting and backing.

I was ready to get started, but I had one BIG problem.  If you use a template, you have to mark the quilt.  I dug out all my marking tools.

The chalk pounce worked fine, but the marks wore off as I was quilting.  The template's channels were too narrow and deep for my marking pencils.  Or chalk markers.  Or soap slivers.   They were obviously designed for those special quilt marking pens or markers.

I needed the marks to be visible on dark fabrics, light fabrics, and the paisley squares between the blocks.  The blue marker did okay on the light fabrics, but was invisible on the dark fabrics and blended in to the paisley.

I was tearing my hair out.  Did I need two markers, one light and one dark?  What if one kind needed to be removed by washing and the other by pressing with an iron?  It would be easy to mix that up and end up with permanent marks on the quilt.  I bought several markers, and kept trying (and failing).  Until I finally tried the purple disappearing marker.

Eureka!  It works!  I haven't used these kinds of markers in a long time, just for fear the marks wouldn't come out, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  The purple is visible even on the dark fabrics, and shows up very well on the paisley.  And so far, the purple is disappearing nicely after the quilting is done.  I will be sure to wash the quilt as soon as I get it finished.

Once I solved the marking problem, the quilting was actually easy.   One section is done, and I'm working on the second section.

Here's what it looks like on the back.

So that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

I dug out another of my home made kits to use as leaders and enders while I'm setting the Text Me A Quilt blocks into rows.  It's a double 4 patch, made from mostly reproduction 1800s scraps.  Once I get the small squares into 4 patches, I have to choose a pair of large squares to go with them to finish the block.  I found myself singing the Matchmaker song from Fiddler on the Roof as I did this.   (Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match ...!)  When I was a teenager, my entire family performed in a local production of the musical, and it was fun to remember it.

I'm setting the 4 patches so the light fabric chains across the block.

Little Buddy asked me to take his picture with his new "friends".  He's adopted these bears who have been living in our basement for years.  The little one belonged to his big brother, now a teenager, and the big one was his mother's.  He snuggles with them for his naps.

It's colder here this week.  Thank goodness we have quilts to keep us warm!  Have a lovely week, and stay safe.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches 

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 
 






29 comments:

  1. Kudos for trying something new with your quilting, Sylvia! Smart thinking on searching out a new Leader/Ender project to piece while assembling the rows of the Text quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Baptist Fan quilting, and have tried it on smaller projects and marked it myself. (I don't do free motion *yet* either!:) Your new ruler looks handy for keeping the quilting lines even, and I'm so glad you found the right marking tool, too. How fun for Little Buddy to find those new friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! I do like the ruler, but I was ready to toss it out the window when so many of my marking tools couldn't work with it!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the fan quilting. I used to hate to figure out marking quilts. Although I have one I'm going to do on the domestic machine (instead of the long arm) one of these days. Haven't figured out what I'll do but it has floppy 3 D ears and it just makes sense to do it on the trusty Bernina. (PS LOVE the bears....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Floppy 3 D ears sounds intriguing! Is it a dog quilt?

      Delete
  4. I love seeing Little Buddy and his new friends. The thought of marking a quilt with chalk and a string is a bit overwhelming to me. I'm sure I would wind up with a blurry mess. The template looks like it's working well. The section you've finished looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KatieQ! I quilted that quilt in an antique frame, and marked as I went along. There are some good sections and some very bad places.

      Delete
  5. Looking good, after all those trials and tribulations. Lovely photo of the boy with his new bear friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I was on the point of quitting for a while, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

      Delete
  6. Marking a quilt is my least favourite job. Dark and light are usually present in all my scrappy quilts and I end up with conundrums the like you have just experienced. Argh! Quilting is a tough job, haha! That last picture is so adorable. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love baptist fans and hope someday I can do them on a longarm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wanted to try Baptist Fan quilting for a long time. I bought two pliable plastic templates (one was huge) but then I couldn't figure out how to position them on the quilt for continuous patterns! I also struggle with the marking and will look for that disappearing purple marker (who makes it?) to try. Your work is beautiful, and thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia! I'm using the seam lines between the blocks to position the template as I move across the rows. It's not the old fashioned way, but it works for me. I'll show how I do it next week. The purple marker is available in fabric/craft stores like JoAnn. I think Dritz used to make it, but my current one doesn't have a maker's name on the label.

      Delete
  9. I am sooooo glad you told me those purple markers will work with that template. I have used that template for marking several quilts for hand quilting but have always used pounce pads because I could not find anything else that would work. I marked a hoop section at a time, stitched it, then marked another section and so on because the chalk wore off so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with chalk sadly. I think there's a kind that only comes off when ironed, but I've never tried it. The blue marker works too, I just couldn't see it on that paisley fabric.

      Delete
  10. Your quilting looks fabulous. The purple markers have worked quite well for me when I need a marker. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know other people have used the purple marker successfully. I used it for hand quilting years ago.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your experience with the purple marker. . .I've played with them; but, haven't actually used them in a project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fan quilting just gives the best texture, doesn't it? I'm glad you're tackling it! I'm really casual with my fans and let them go every direction. A purist would probably clutch her pearls, but in the end, the texture is what is important to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Antique quilts often have the fans going every which way, and it looks great!

      Delete
  13. Love that fan quilting - its just so,.. cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I think it's kind of a homey style, nothing fancy.

      Delete
  14. I read recently some where that someone decided to mark the BACK of the quilt and then successfully quilted it from there. Just a thought to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, QuiltGranma! I thought about doing this when I was in the depths of despair about the marking, but I really wanted to use the piecing to anchor the quilting somehow. The next time I do fan quilting I might try working from the back. I think I'll need some registration marks or something.

      Delete
  15. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!