Saturday, May 8, 2021

By the Book

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

This little quilt is my latest attempt to use up a box of 3.5 in. squares.  The pattern is called Joy in the Morning, and comes from this book:

S is for Scraps:  18 great quilts, by Gayle Bong.  It's definitely a good pattern--this is the 4th quilt I've made from it, starting back in 2013.  Simple piecing, simple quilting and squares that chain across the quilt get it put on my go-to list.  As you can see, I got the book used.  It has been more than worth the price.

There are only 16 blocks in this version.  With the border, it measures 42 in. square.  It should be a good size for donating to Little Lambs, a Hands2Help 2021 charity.

I'm always looking for places to use my multi-colored fabrics, which work well here.

I officially nominate this square as the strangest fabric I have ever seen.  It came to me from a friend in Pennsylvania, and appears to be a frog dressed in either a baby outfit or a French maid's costume.  Either way, completely weird.  (Got weird fabric?  We all want to see it!)

For a backing, the Scooby-Doo fabric came in handy.  There's still more of it, the fabric that keeps on giving.  The binding is a polka dot, just for fun.

Meanwhile, red scraps are getting sorted and pieced into blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Please excuse the bad lighting, it was getting dark outside when I snapped this photo.

Send in the clowns!  Years ago I bought a scrap bag with this clown fabric in it.  (Yes, I even buy other people's scraps!)  I only had a few squares left.

I know it's fashionable to be creeped out by clowns after all the horror movies, but I think these are the harmless kind.  I hope the kids who get these quilts will be okay with them.

I'm writing this early this week, because these characters and their big brother are going to be staying with us over the weekend, and I'm not expecting to have much time on the computer.  This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, before Little Buddy's extreme hair cut.

The weather has been up and down, as usual for early May.  Baby Buddy and I saw this old apple tree on our walk today.  It's just blooming its heart out.

Happy Mothers Day on Sunday to all who celebrate, but especially to my own mother, the Best Mom in the World.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap




18 comments:

  1. That is a happy quilt, Sylvia, and the book looks very useful! The frog catches your attention, but I love the jelly beans. Hope you're enjoying all your buddies this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy in the Morning, huh? Sounds like a pattern I need to make, Sylvia!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day to you too, here in New Zealand we also celebrate on this day. Life your Joy quilt, such a neat idea to do with squares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! It's a very nice pattern, and works up easily.

      Delete
  4. What an a adorable quilt!! and the red pieces are coming along great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I think I actually love scraps more than yardage.

      Delete
  5. That's a great pattern! Have to remember it for my own 3.5" scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a keeper! And you could make it up in all kinds of fabrics.

      Delete
  6. Lots of great scrappy goodness in this post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like Joy in the Morning. Such a great way to use little squares...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scooby Doo fan here, so I love the choice for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love Scooby Doo! I'm watching now with my grandson.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!