Saturday, May 29, 2021

Summer is Coming, Even in Wisconsin

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's the end of red month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I'm sort of sad to see it go.  Red is such a striking color.  I used it in the center of the May block for Barbara Brackman's current Civil War quilts blog Block of the Month, above.  (Shown on the top of my Minnesota A treadle.)

The book next to the block in the first picture is an old photo album, bought in an antique shop.  I wasn't looking for "instant ancestors", but I was intrigued by all the photos of children.  This little girl looks like my daughters when they were toddlers.  Except for the fancy curls.  They barely put up with having their hair brushed and combed.

The clothing of the little girl on the right above dates her photo to around the Civil War.  She's posed just like a grown woman.  On the left is a little boy in a dress.  Children of both sexes wore dresses for their first few years.  Easier for diaper changes, I suppose. 

My other reproduction fabric project is done for the month too.  These Poinsettia Star blocks have red fabrics for the star part and a different color for the contrasting squares.  I'm using up lots of 2.5 in. strips making them.

More red!  We went to a huge outdoor flea market a couple of weekends ago, and I got this scrap bag for $2.  The man who sold it to me said his mother was tired of making quilts for her family, and these were her leftovers.  I wonder if I'll ever get tired of making quilts.  Doesn't seem likely!

I cut about half of the rhubarb on Wednesday morning.  This variety is green, with a few streaks of red, instead of the more popular red kind.

The green tastes as good as red, in cakes or pies!  Grandpa kept the baby busy while I threw this pie together.  It was a good day for baking, with a high temp of only 45 degrees, down from over 80 degrees on Monday.  Wacky Wisconsin weather strikes again.  

Summer is definitely coming when the California cherries start appearing in the grocery store.  Grandpa, Little Buddy, and I absolutely devoured these, like ravenous dinosaurs.

Yeah, like this guy!

This week's grand kid pictures are just going to feature Little Buddy.  Baby Buddy caught a nasty cold, and was even running a fever on Thursday.  Friday he felt better, but we still ran through lots of tissues.  He was in no mood to have his picture taken, just wanted to be held.  So that's what we did.

Little Buddy made this cute project from a kit we got for free from our public library.  (Our library is awesome!)  The "swimming pool" is a cup filled with blue jello, and the teddy grahams bears are floating on candy rings or rafts.  We made the jello one day and decorated it the next.

Decorating is always the most fun.

Preschool for this year is almost over, and our Little Buddy will be going to kindergarten in the fall.  He's growing every day.  Now it takes almost every Duplo we have to make a tower taller than he is.

We have a little more time this weekend, so I hope to get some things done.  One of my projects is going to be quilting this tulip quilt as my last donation for Hands 2 Help.  Last Sunday there were only 8 blocks made, now the top is finished and spray basted, so it's coming along.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, to all who celebrate.  In the not too distant past, this holiday was called Decoration Day.  Families went to the cemetery to spruce up the graves and gravestones.  There were often ceremonies and parades to honor surviving Civil War soldiers, and later all other veterans.  Although cemeteries no longer depend on the public for upkeep, we still have the ceremonies and parades.  Maybe some of them will even be in person this year.

Have a happy safe Memorial Day weekend, and a good week ahead.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap



 













24 comments:

  1. Your poinsettia blocks are so pretty with their red centers, Sylvia! And I love your tulip quilt, too. It will bring someone a lot of comfort with its happy blocks. Aren't libraries the best for fun summer activities? The jello idea is so cute! I hope Baby Buddy is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Our library has these fun kits for kids every Tuesday. We still miss storytime, closed because of the pandemic.

      Delete
  2. LOVE your RED Poinsettia Star blocks and your pretty Tulip quilt, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It has been fun seeing all the table runners and placemats you've inspired. I hope I can make a table runner soon.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post and your Poinsettia Star blocks are so pretty. I agree I am sad to see this month's RSC color go as well. Grandbabies sure do grow up fast. I hope Buddy feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melisa! I know what you mean about grandbabies. My oldest grandson is nearly 16!

      Delete
  4. Poinsettia Star blocks are pretty, Sylvia.
    The Tulip quilt is gorgeous, someone will be happy to receive it.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your poinsettia blocks and really love your tulip quilt! So happy and spring-like. I enjoy your grand baby adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sue! Life is definitely an adventure with our buddies.

      Delete
  6. Mmm, rhubarb pie! Yum! I can't imagine getting tired of making quilts, but maybe that lady's family weren't very grateful. Her loss is your gain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to ask that guy if he had used a quilt for a drop cloth or a dog bed, but restrained myself.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely album. I wonder how a family could have given it up. Your tulip quilt is gorgeous! Enjoy your finishing. Sorry to hear your little guy is sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marti! He's doing better, home with his mama. I always wonder why family photos are for sale. Maybe the family lost touch or died out? If there were any names in the album I would try to find the family.

      Delete
  8. I love your tulip quilt! I've been intrigued with looking at old photos. The clothing worn , the hair styles worn and the poses used. . .so interesting! I'm partial to any blocks with red in them! Hope the sickness is in the past and baby buddy is feeling much better. Loved the library kit activity. Your library is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! We are so lucky to have a library staff that is focused on working with the community, from adult book clubs to lots of activities for kids.

      Delete
  9. I think you scored big with the purchase of the photo album. They had such beautiful ways of presenting the photos back then. The scrap bag is also a winner. Your Poinsettia Star blocks are all so beautiful. Awesome dessert! Love the idea of a pool of Jell-O. Enjoy the new colour of the month. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I can't wait to start cutting and sewing my purple scraps.

      Delete
  10. Very pretty blocks and I love that cheerful tulip quilt. It would be hard for me to give that one away. I also love how libraries are more than just buildings of books. They have really taken on so much more lately and over the past year they have really shown their importance to the community. Awesome "blue lagoon" project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! Blue lagoon--great name! My little buddy loves the library, and has really missed it during the pandemic. Since I've been vaccinated, I've been picking up books (and kits!) for him. The library staff have been wonderful.

      Delete
  11. What great projects! Now that tulip one - that is so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that tulip quilt, it will be so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!