Friday, May 12, 2023

More Orange, John Deere, and Amanda

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

This week's orange blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are 16 patches, with 8 different orange prints and 8 different light prints.  These are fun to make. 

The cute carrot fabric came from my friend Joey's scraps, as did some other yummy orange prints.

I think that's my favorite part of making quilt blocks--putting together adorable scraps.

Where do all these scraps come from?  Well, here's one place--my local quilt store!  They have a giant basket of scraps that customers are welcome to root through.  We can fill up a bag for a small price, and take them home.  Wanna see what I got?

All this was in that bag!  Good quality fabric scraps, just waiting to be made into quilts.

Like this one!  I finished the little farm quilt this week.
 

The blue and white striped "My John Deere" fabric was a small piece I bought in an antique mall, and I used up nearly every bit of it.

The dark blue squares and the narrow inner border were in the same fat quarter bundle I got at a recent quilt show.  (I always look for whatever fabrics are marked down at the show, of course.  Don't you?) 

The batting is poly.  I cut it from a thicker poly and then just pulled it in half to make it thinner.  It actually worked!  Still soft, but not quite as puffy.  And there's another half ready to be used!  Bad news, though, it means I can make twice as many quilts from the giant batting  rolls Joey got for me.  Gotta sew faster!

The back of the quilt is this John Deere tractor print.  The quilt will be donated to Project Linus locally.  I'm hoping it will go to some little farm girl or boy.  God bless the farmers, we all need them.

More scraps are in my new project above.  (Check out the scrap from the farm quilt!  Leftovers from one quilt go into the next one, of course!  And on and on forever!)

The block is called Amanda, and comes from Me and My Sister Designs.  I've had this book forever, but just suddenly realized it would be perfect for my 3.5 in. squares and 1.5 in. wide strips.

Here's the front cover of the book, it's 3 Times the Charm, by Barbara Groves and Mary Jacobson.  They call it that because each quilt pattern is made up into three quilts, and most of the pieces can be cut from charm squares.  All of the patterns have women's names.  There are 3 more books in the series.

My 1.5 in. wide strips live in this little overnight case.  I sorted them, and separated out the light prints, solids, pinks, and blacks.  The big pile is Everything Else.  Amanda is going to be a fun quilt!

I may use the black prints for this project, but not the others.  I also moved the very short strips to the schnibbles box to be made into crumb blocks. 

Now that the kids are well again, we're having fun on the playground!  It seems I always take a photo of one or another of them inside this orange tube during orange month!  Our Little Guy was thrilled to be climbing up it again and enjoying the nice weather.

Rain is expected for this weekend, so we'll try to enjoy the sunshine while we can.  I'm wishing sunshine and scrappy fun for you too this week.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop  

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 


 











12 comments:

  1. You do have some great scraps! And Amanda is going to be a fun quilt. Glad you and your Guys, got to play again in the park. We are having a rainy weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those oranges!! so pretty! And your scraps - That little bag sure will go a long way with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your orange scraps in your blocks! I bet that little bag of scraps holds lots of quilt blocks...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 16 patches are such great blocks - love seeing yours, Sylvia. And the carrot print is adorable! You have the best scraps. I like that Amanda block - it will make a great quilt! So glad to hear the kiddos are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that little farm scrap! And the kids are having some fun now!! Enjoy the nice weather, orange you glad it is sunny for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fav part of quilting is putting together adorable scraps too but I think yours are more adorable! It always looks like you are having so much fun making the cutest quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your 16 patch blocks are an explosion of colour! Have fun getting acquainted with Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owo fun scraps and happy quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A healthy, smiling child makes the best pictures. Glad to hear they are doing well now. Enjoy the lovely scraps you got. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something about having young children at home that informs the fabric we buy and/or collect. Love how you combined novelty fabric on a white ground with deep, vibrant orange charms that had a subtle print. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great photo of your grandson. . .smiles that affect the whole face are the very best! Your scrap collection has a great variety and the projects you are making are terrific!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!