Saturday, May 20, 2023

Three Kinds of Blocks

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  We'd like to show you what we've been up to this week.

We do have a division of labor here at the Treadlestitches Quiltworks.  I do the sewing, and Mr. Snicklefritz makes sure all the blocks are inspected, laid on, and properly wrinkled.

Like these bricks blocks!  It's orange month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and the bricks blocks are one of my RSC projects.  I'm trying to use mostly novelty prints in these, but orange novelties can be hard to find (don't worry, I'll keep looking!). At first I only had six prints that could even remotely fill the bill, so I made two of each.

Lots of different orange prints are in the uneven nine patch blocks.  These finish at 8.5 in. and are made from 4 charm squares (2 light and 2 dark).

I hunted through everything to find more orange prints.  You should see the mess in the sewing room!  

The kitty fat quarter was hiding in the multi-color bin.  I love it best of all.  And there are plenty of scraps left to make a couple more bricks blocks.

So that's what "we" have accomplished this week, with the exception of a large amount of items definitely Not Finished.  Plus a sewing room that looks like a cyclone went through.

For our anniversary last Monday, we went to a couple of antique malls.  Hubs got books, I found this set of blocks.  I had fun arranging them into quilt patterns.

Our Little Guy enjoyed the blocks too.  Here he's making a snake. (Oh, dear, I'm not a fan of snakes!)

I had to show this during orange month!  Hubs painted the bathroom orange.  I was a little worried about it at first.  I was imagining screaming glow-in-the-dark orange, but it's more of a creamsicle color.  It goes well with the blue fixtures and blue accents.

More painting!  I got lots of wonderful presents for Mothers Day, including these little lanterns made by Buddy and Little Guy.  Can you see the unpainted heart shape in the middle?  They had lots of help from their Mama.

The warmer weather is bringing all the plants to life, including the weeds.  Little Guy and I tackled the strawberry bed this week.  I'm so happy to see the blossoms.  But I'd better hurry and get a barrier rigged up for the birds, or they'll get all the berries!

We're going to a birthday party later today, so time to get busy and wrap the presents.  Have a wonderful week, and thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge












16 comments:

  1. Wonderful finds of your its and bits of orange! Your blocks look great even if your sewing space is a shambles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! I might get the mess under control over the long weekend.

      Delete
  2. oooh i just love that kitty print too--so cute--nice works going on for your May RSC. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I'm going to start collecting cat prints, they're so much fun.

      Delete
  3. You have the happiest orange fabrics and the kitty one is lovely, Sylvia. Mr. Snicklefritz is very competent, he deserves to be promoted to chief inspector, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! Mr. Snicklefritz had a very good performance review until he started chewing on the iron cord. He's on probation now, we will see how he conducts himself lol.

      Delete
  4. Lots of fun orange prints in your stash, Sylvia! I love the cats especially. The orange bathroom looks great - what a fun color choice! Hope you had fun at the birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The party was for Buddy's birthday and included a bounce house! Food and fun for all!

      Delete
  5. Studio cats are the best. Clearly Mr. Snicklefritz excels at his job and admires your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's good company! I'm not used to a young cat poking into all the corners and randomly jumping up on the ironing board, but I'm glad he's here.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sylvia, you and Snicklefritz did an outstanding job this week! I'll bet that orange kitty fabric is Snicks favorite too! Lol! I know it's mine. Have fun at the birthday party and good for you and Little Guy for tackling the weeds. The strawberries will taste that much sweeter later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie! We can hardly wait for ripe berries!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your parade of orange. I especially liked the cat fat quarter print. It made some cute blocks! I wouldn't have thought of orange in a bathroom either! ---TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! It was strange at first but I'm getting used to the orange bathroom. Orange really is a great color!

      Delete
  8. Love your orange blocks. I'm curious on the size of the brick blocks. I've been making some at 3" square finished. I've got LOTS of them made but haven't figured out how many more I need to make. I like the bigger size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! My blocks are 6 inches square finished. The centers are cut 3.5 x 6.5 in., And the white strips are cut 2 in. X 6.5 in.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!